PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
Here are a couple of cheap ones of mine. One is unsmoked, and the other is broken in. You can see how by not taking out the stem protruding into the bowl, and letting cake build around it, you can protect the bottom of the cob without needing a hardwood plug.

1634605683784.jpeg
1634605716695.jpeg

Smoke dog

Lurker
Sep 21, 2021
In the dog house
i have never smoked a cob pipe and would like to try one but I dont know which to buy.
I have found somewhere here in Greece that sells them although not as cheap as in the US

So I know it is better to get one with the hardwood plug in the bottom but which ones are they?
I have read that the stems are a bit soft,any recommendations? I see the emerald has an acrylic stem is it harder wearing?
What models are recommended? I smoke mainly flake and most of my briars are in the 0.75 inch diameter x 1.5 -2 inch depth range
I really like my devil anse cob. Smokes great, no matter what I throw at it. Smokes flakes pretty well and it can take a beating.
I weld, blacksmith,and do construction for a living and while I'm working I either have the little devil or a falcon smoldering away, and never had a critical failure from either.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
D221B150-1840-4DE6-9A8B-2E1066EE5EF0.jpeg
These are Country Gentleman, one bent and the other straight. I’m surprised this model wasn’t represented more in the responses.

In my opinion, this chamber is your best bet for the highest quality smoke. It’s narrower than most briar pipes, but not by much and has nice depth.

As for the plastic stems — I love em. My advice is to order replacements in filtered or non-filtered, bent or straight, black or amber. Whatever you like. They’re .50 cents each.

My second model choice is the Apple Diplomat. Almost similar chamber size. Different style, outer dimensions a little smaller.

My third and fourth choices, the Mark Twain or the Diplomat 5th Avenue.

— All of the above are the medium to larger cobs. I recommend these over the smaller pipes.

Best of luck.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
View attachment 103486

As for the plastic stems — I love em. My advice is to order replacements in filtered or non-filtered, bent or straight, black or amber. Whatever you like. They’re .50 cents each.
unfortunately I cant find replacement stems here in Greece
ordering from the USA involves about 23 dollars postage plus import taxes.
maybe if i go done that route a buy once Forever stem is the answer

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I like all the fitered MM's, the apple diplomat is a bit special. My workhorse is the cheapest legend with a savinelli charcoal filter its a sweet dry smoke.

Reactions: Briar Lee

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Besides the MacArthur, my preference is the Country Gentleman.
Keep in mind one of the greatest benefits of smoking a Cob will come from that basic injection molded 80 cent plastic stem, the airway in those is much more open than almost any hand drilled acrylic or vulcanite stem.
i have just ordered 2 forever stems from Vermont Freehand to go with the Country gentleman and 5th Ave Diplomat pipes, so will have the chance to try both and decide which draw I prefer original or forever

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I've got a variety, from Washingtons to Generals. My Washingtons are flake pipes; since you are primarily a flake smoker, that's what I would recommend.
Already ordered but thanks for the input.
My selection of a Country gentleman and a 5th ave diplomat seem to have the same chamber diameter but a little taller ,so should give a similar but longer smoke