PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
i have never smoked a cob pipe and would like to try one but I dont know which to buy.
I have found somewhere here in Greece that sells them although not as cheap as in the US

So I know it is better to get one with the hardwood plug in the bottom but which ones are they?
I have read that the stems are a bit soft,any recommendations? I see the emerald has an acrylic stem is it harder wearing?
What models are recommended? I smoke mainly flake and most of my briars are in the 0.75 inch diameter x 1.5 -2 inch depth range

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Pick one that you like the look of and run with it. They are all great pipes. The hardwood bottom is what I believe a gimmick. I've never burned through the part of the shank to worry about it burning to the bottom
. It just gets caked over like the rest of the chamber.

My favorites are the legends. 5th Ave legends and Rob Roy legends. But I prefer the more yellow color in the "legend series" than the whiter ones.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't have a problem with the original stems, they are soft, very soft. I rarely have one in my possession long enough to destroy a stem. You didn't say if the seller in Greece is close enough to visit. If it is, take a look at the assortment, cobs vary greatly in size. Or, call or text and order up a couple of medium sized for your first foray into the realm of corn cob pipes. They are enjoyable smokers.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
The "Danish" stems come on the Diplomat model I mentioned. As @didimauw said, they are quite a bit better than the regular stems.
are the danish stems the acrylic ones?
I ordered a 5th ave diplomat

now the question filter or no.
I have read many say throw them away ,and as I dont have any 6mm filters unless they are included with the pipe I must go commando

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
are the danish stems the acrylic ones?
I ordered a 5th ave diplomat

now the question filter or no.
I have read many say throw them away ,and as I dont have any 6mm filters unless they are included with the pipe I must go commando
They aren't acrylic just a seemingly better quality plastic.

Filters I don't use on a cob, but I use them on my Grabows. You don't need them, but the cobs have a very open draw. I like that, but some people don't.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
i have never smoked a cob pipe and would like to try one but I dont know which to buy.
I have found somewhere here in Greece that sells them although not as cheap as in the US

So I know it is better to get one with the hardwood plug in the bottom but which ones are they?
I have read that the stems are a bit soft,any recommendations? I see the emerald has an acrylic stem is it harder wearing?
What models are recommended? I smoke mainly flake and most of my briars are in the 0.75 inch diameter x 1.5 -2 inch depth range
I’ve carefully gone over your selections, and recommend by all means to select the most expensive Emerald models for your first cob pipe, and avoid the smaller pipes, and cheaper pipes.

The standard sized, standard model pipe is the filter Washington size bowl with the amber plastic stem. These are sold in pharmacies all across the United States.

8FD55F6C-4D94-4E53-842A-18870C3539CD.png
You are of course paying a premium for an imported article outside the USA.

At the factory in Washington, Missouri, which is just impossibly small river town Missouri, more than you could dream, about fifteen genuine native Missourians whose fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers worked all their lives on the same machines, in the same factory, turn every pipe by hand, often on 150 year old machines.

The hardwood plugs are not considered a gimmick, but require a larger cob, that needs a hardwood plug glued in to prevent the extremely soft and brittle core from soaking up tars and eventually falling out. Only the better pipes, get those plugs.

The Emerald series is a special. It’s not sold in drug stores. What makes it special is a green acrylic stem, that you’ll not be able to bite through or wear out.

An Emerald will be turned by the best hands in the factory, using their best and largest cobs, and it’s an honor to make them. The Charles Towne model looks the same special, using a red acrylic stem.

But if you must choose a twenty Euro model, my favorite of those is the Dublin shaped Mark Twain, or any Diplomat. They will have a large, hardwood plugged bowl, but an ordinary production stem.

1312D450-1D88-457D-AB7C-569F9E433BE3.jpeg

The cheapest pipes are considered disposable items sold in check out lines in big drug stores, or at big general merchandise superstores.

When you see a model that’s larger, with a hardwood plug, and especially one with an expensive acrylic stem, that one is for a pipe smoker who owns a lot of other pipes.

They make the cheapest models with pride.

But only the proudest of a proud crew, get to turn the specials.