PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Already ordered but thanks for the input.
My selection of a Country gentleman and a 5th ave diplomat seem to have the same chamber diameter but a little taller ,so should give a similar but longer smoke
I think you’ll be very happy with both of those choices. These are the most substantial of the pipes, feel good in the hand, without going really large like a Freehand or General. — The Country Gentleman is a nice sized
Pipe. — I’m fond of the classic, straight stem Billiard in briars, but honestly, I smoke my cobs far more often, paulfg. Hope you like them too. — I have only one Forever stem. I keep it on an old Apple Diplomat. The two pipes you’ve ordered can last decades with regular care. Post pics with your Forever Stems when they arrive.
9AC6D0B7-1A54-4149-855B-439EF2DF1241.jpeg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I think you’ll be very happy with both of those choices. These are the most substantial of the pipes, feel good in the hand, without going really large like a Freehand or General. — The Country Gentleman is a nice sized
Pipe. — I’m fond of the classic, straight stem Billiard in briars, but honestly, I smoke my cobs far more often, paulfg. Hope you like them too. — I have only one Forever stem. I keep it on an old Apple Diplomat. The two pipes you’ve ordered can last decades with regular care. Post pics with your Forever Stems when they arrive.
View attachment 103740
I will do once they arrive,I expect about 3 weeks for the parcel to arrive depending on if Customs decide to stop and tax it.
I will have the pipes by the end of the week as they are only coming from Athens so Greek post only.

Smoke dog

Lurker
Sep 21, 2021
In the dog house
View attachment 103486
These are Country Gentleman, one bent and the other straight. I’m surprised this model wasn’t represented more in the responses.

In my opinion, this chamber is your best bet for the highest quality smoke. It’s narrower than most briar pipes, but not by much and has nice depth.

As for the plastic stems — I love em. My advice is to order replacements in filtered or non-filtered, bent or straight, black or amber. Whatever you like. They’re .50 cents each.

My second model choice is the Apple Diplomat. Almost similar chamber size. Different style, outer dimensions a little smaller.

My third and fourth choices, the Mark Twain or the Diplomat 5th Avenue.

— All of the above are the medium to larger cobs. I recommend these over the smaller pipes.

Best of luck.
The mark Twain and 5th Ave are 2 very sharp looking cobs. The only one I admire more is the free hand

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Well the pipes arrived and i have smoked 2 bowls in each pipe.i started with D&R two timer
First thoughts

the 5th Ave Diplomat
I didnt notice any bad taste until I hit the bottom of the bowl and started to char the stem.

the Country Gentleman tasted off from the first puff,I suspect there was some varnish in the chamber.
It was less noticeable on the second bowl and expect it to be gone in a couple more bowls,again the stem charring will disappear in a few more bowls.
Overall very impressed and living up to expectations

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
@paulfg —Glad you’re happy with them. The Country Gentleman is my favorite. I’ve never smoked my cobs to where I’ve tasted the wood insert. When I feel close with my tamper I dump it.

You’ll find, with cobs, that you can enjoy back to back bowls and that they require little rest before they’re ready for another bowl.

Also. You can choose to build a cake or rinse them with water. I do the latter and they stay beautiful inside and out. You’re choice there. Some of the guys on the forum even intentional blacken the rim. @ChasingEmbers makes them look great.

One last nice thing. A little sandpaper to the rim and you can restore that rim to its original color again. Very versatile, great smoking material. — Can you tell I love cobs?

Enjoy them for years!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
MM cobs are made to have a filter in some of their models and w/o in others. Most of us I think, smoke the filter type without the filter.
The cob itself is a fantastic insulator, and on the natural, or 'unfinished' models a delightful ergonomic texture.
I've found that the 'gummy' stems are easy on the teeth and the smaller cobs are fine for walking and smoking with the pipe in your jaw.
I've got some military mount style vulcanite stems that I often use in lieu of the gummy stems and these provide a significant improvement to the draw, in my humble opinion. They constrict the airflow slightly more than the gummy, and clean easily.

Reactions: Grangerous

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I feel like I should ad this.

Throughout the year, I've seriously bonded with my 2 cobs.

I'd feel less bad if I lost or broke my 300.00 commission, than if I would lose or break a cob. Seriously.

I'm a little wierd like that.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
MM cobs are made to have a filter in some of their models and w/o in others. Most of us I think, smoke the filter type without the filter.
The cob itself is a fantastic insulator, and on the natural, or 'unfinished' models a delightful ergonomic texture.
I've found that the 'gummy' stems are easy on the teeth and the smaller cobs are fine for walking and smoking with the pipe in your jaw.
I've got some military mount style vulcanite stems that I often use in lieu of the gummy stems and these provide a significant improvement to the draw, in my humble opinion. They constrict the airflow slightly more than the gummy, and clean easily.
Agree. Most enjoy the open draw of the pipe without the filters. Tastes better too. — Open draw lends itself to small pieces entering the mouth at times. Simple remedy is to cut those filters into thirds. One small piece is perfect to prevent that without restricting the draw. Just an idea. I personally discard the filters.

I’ve ordered replacement stems of various sizes, filtered and not. There is a difference. The open draw spoils you once you get used to it. —Cobs smoke beautifully.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I feel like I should ad this.

Throughout the year, I've seriously bonded with my 2 cobs.

I'd feel less bad if I lost or broke my 300.00 commission, than if I would lose or break a cob. Seriously.

I'm a little wierd like that.
I feel the same way. Cool thing is… you can purchase a half dozen and store them away. — But you’re right. No two are alike. All vary in size, color, wall thickness. — The one constant is that they all smoke well.
86B9A0CB-C3C8-498D-98E7-F2E878026826.jpeg

Reactions: didimauw

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend to chew up the inexpensive plastic stems, so I replaced them on several pipes with Forever stems, when I noticed that MM offers editions with acrylic stems for around $26. Since my MM cobs have lasted for a decade, and are still going, I don't want to have to replace soft plastic stems. They are all great smokers and often burn a bowl to the last piece of tobacco with no diminishment of taste. I like the down home look.