PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Where your image shows on what page may well differ from others. Here it is!

p_20210628_082234-jpg.86386

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The water is probably the hardest on it, with the changes in humidity and the heat running a close second. I'm surprised no critters have sampled it, but I see no signs of that. Speaking of which, I saw either a brown thrasher or a wood thrush in the yard this morning. I spoke to it quietly and it let me pass the bushes where it roosted without flying off. Their appearance is supposed to be a triple A rating for the local environment. It was probably looking to see if I'd put out a cob pipe for it to sample. These species have been in decline, so I was glad to see this one.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It's a $10 pipe, I'm surprised it has survived as well as it has. Put a briar through the same set of conditions and see what conditions it is in. I don't believe it would crack but it would likely look like crap. It is kind of irrelevant because the product wasn't designed to stand up to these conditions anyway.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's a $10 pipe
Even cheaper actually, I think it was closer to $5.

I would venture to guess that one of the smooth, polished cobs would fare better than the natural finish, rough cob currently on the roof. Too late for that now though -- the Science is already in progress.

There's always time for more science

Too bad it hasn't been getting our weather down here. It would probably be just a stem by now. I had to start my morning today by dragging some oak limbs off of my roof and rounding up the stuff strewn from the wind last night. We went through the first of summer with a lot of rain and storms everyday. I actually had to deal with a few moisture related fungal infections in my soil this year.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How’s the cob faring as winter approaches?

I continue to follow this with a certain slow burning curiosity.

Here are some updated pictures.

P_20211018_141256.jpgP_20211018_141310.jpgP_20211018_141322.jpgP_20211018_141334.jpg

I noticed as well that the metal ring on the stem is very loose. Probably the wooden part shrinks/swells and it's worked its way loose. The bowl is still developing cracks but it hasn't disintegrated yet.