PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We have to write a grant application for this study, starting out: Maize cob tobacco incineration units are of light biodegradable material. In order to determine their resilience to ambient meteorological exposure and any structural weak points, the researcher proposes to expose the unit to extended climatological variations including heat, moisture, cold, and wind extremes ...

There has to be a foundation somewhere that would fund this.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Having abused a cob quite handily, I can tell you the real threat to a cob is getting wet by leaving it out in the rain. The glue they use don't like rain. Other than that they are tanks.

Protip: beeswax is the shizzle for cobs. Melts easy, seals gaps, works great to stop chipping, etc.

IMG_20210626_163248.jpg

This cob has seen it all and keeps on tickin', and is super saturated with that burnt Va/Bur goodness. Smoking Eight State Burley in it right now.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
These pipes are 25 years old. Smoked in rain, snow, freezing temps and humid NC summers. Still smoking like a champ.20210529_102026.jpg20210528_191552.jpgThese are my yard cobs below. Same smoking conditions but with dirty hands (oil, gas, grease..ect). Dropped, left in the rain, you name it. They were seven day seconds and get smoked an average of 4 times per week usually back to back on the weekends for about 5 years. Damn things are tanks.20210525_152641.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
@FurCoat that is what is so interesting about cobs, some swear they are disposable, others keep them for years and years.

Will this one melt away under the elements? Will it become a super pipe? Only one way to find out.

I predict that when you light the cob up after 6 months of seasoning it will be the most sublime smoke of your life.
I was wondering when you would arrive in the thread!