SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 8, 2020
It's a question that causes me much anxiety and is the last step to getting me off cigarettes once and for all.

You're out and about at the pub with some friends, and they all go out to smoke. You follow and whip out your pipe along with its accompanying accouterments... How did your pipe and its fellows get to the pub on your person?

Did you have them in a pants pocket? A pouch? Do you have it in your mouth at all times? Do you run to the car?

I bought a nice leather pipe pouch that holds my tobacco and has room for a pipe, but it's so bulky I can only fit it in the back pocket of my jeans and I don't want to sit on my pipe. I imagine this was an easier problem to solve when everyone wore suit jackets...

I digress: how do you take your pipe on adventures?

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
A padded case, more rounded but about the size of one for eyeglasses / sunglasses; fits most average size pipes.

I've also a small, zippered leather pouch lined for tobacco, and I have a short nose warmer that tucks right in with the tobacco. It has a fairly large chamber for its size and smokes very well. Besides, if you're only keeping pace with cigarette smokers small is better...

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
When "out an about" I'm as respectful as possible, i.e. I don't smoke where not allowed or even allowed just not common. At places where it's allowed I smoke at will and the rest of the world can piss off if they don't like it.

That being said I've never actually had an issue, save one time and that was with a complete Karen (don't go to a cigar bar if you don't like smoke), while enjoying my pipe. I've gotten some curiosity and some compliments which I'm happy to talk about pipes if people are interested. If I want solitude I'll smoke in my backyard or away from people like when I'm out with my Jeep. Otherwise, I'm okay with people asking questions or whatnot when I'm out at bars, etc. I figure patience and politeness help our community even if the people I'm talking to don't take up the pipe.

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I haven't been smoking a pipe as long as most people on here, but when I first started, I wondered the same thing. And then I went out and bought a bunch of shit. You don't really need it. If I'm out for a short while with a pipe, I pack it before I go and put it in my shirt pocket, and then throw a Czech tool and a Bic lighter in my pants pocket. If I'm out for the day and think I'll be smoking multiple bowls (bar, BBQ, whatever) I'll still pack a bowl and throw it in my shirt pocket, but I also have a wallet sized leather tobacco pouch that I fill up and put in my back pocket.

I think sometimes people just need an excuse to buy stuff. Myself included.

Aug 8, 2020
I bought a wind cap but don’t find it all that useful for preventing ash in the pants. The cork method looks tempting, but honestly I think I’ll just have to get used to ash in my pockets on occasion.

Does it not stain your pants?

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I throw my pipe, lighter, tamper, and a couple pipe cleaners in my pocket. I have a leather pipe pouch that is lined with rubber which keeps the tobacco (always sir Walter Raleigh regular in my pouch) moist for about a week.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Semi rigid sunglasses case works perfectly well for me
One (or even two) pipes with a couple of pipe cleaners folded in half, a 9mm filter or two, pipe nail tamper and clipper lighter. I put the tobacco in a small lined jewellery pouch with a draw string neck which also fits inside… oh a couple of wooden toothpicks incase I need to loosen the draw on a cigar

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
It is risky to carry it in your pants or shirt pocket, I would use a bag suitable for pipes and tobacco. With a pouch, you have the advantage of not leaving it forgotten on the bar table, etc. I would forget it, I'm sure, I would end up losing everything. I remember forgetting on more than one occasion, on the tables or bar counter, my transparent plastic dental sheath.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Last and only time I went to a pub with one of my pipes, I used waxed canvas roll bag. Quickly put the pipe away as soon as my friends and I started conversation, and smoked cigar instead.