PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
We've probably all used the coiled pipe cleaner hat a time or two in an emergency, or bought one of those cheap spring loaded windscreens, to prevent a pocket full of tobacco and/or ash, but does anyone else make or use pipe lids/hats?

I got the idea from an old thread on here I read a couple years ago, I don't remember who mentioned making lids out of wine corks, but I really like it for carrying a loaded pipeful when walking the dog, going out, etc.

Do you guys use anything to keep your tobacco in your pipe when carrying it? Or do you even carry your pipes in your pockets at all? What's in your pocketses?

Windscreen in pic is from the late 40s-early 50s, it looks old because it is, it was on an old pipe my MIL found in an antique store.

20201114_183148.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The few windscreens that I have are original to the pipe. Otherwise I don't use anything to cover the chamber when I stick a pipe in a pocket.
In pre-Covid times I used to oftimes stick a pipe in my pocket before entering a store to pick up a few items, then leave, pulling the pipe from my pocket and continuing to smoke it without a relight.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't remember who mentioned making lids out of wine corks, but I really like it for carrying a loaded pipeful when walking the dog, going out, etc.

Do you guys use anything to keep your tobacco in your pipe when carrying it? Or do you even carry your pipes in your pockets at all? What's in your pocketses?
I think it was Anthony Rosenthal.

I use a windscreen like that in your pic, although mine are still shiny. ?

I pack the pipe at home, put the windscreen on, put the pipe in a sock and then either put it in my pocket or my backpack/bag. I never carry pipes without a socket because I don't want the mouthpiece to touch anything germ-bearing (yeah, yeah, I know the socks aren't sterile either, but I keep them as clean as possible and only the pipes ever go in).

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
Sometimes I'll have tobacco in my pocket. Sometimes I start doing things outside and forget that I put my pipe in my pocket, but I usually use a windscreen just to keep that from happening . I like to use them if I'm in the car, I'll put the pipe in the console or the door compartment when I'm done with it.

Reactions: canucklehead

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Warning, some clothing is highly flammable and would go up like a torch. For me, pocketing a lit pipe is a no-no. I'd be the one who didn't get away with it. I don't smoke on the move that much. When I travel, I just carry the kit and pack a pipe when I'm re-located.