PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several Czech tools, one of them going back to my grandfather, a willow branch with a fireproof end, and a pleasing little folding stainless steel tool by Brebbia. However, my highest commendation goes to the pipe nail for several reasons. The sheer simplicity of design and efficiency is inspiring. The tamper is exact, and the scoop is wide enough, tapered enough, and thin enough to clear a pipe bowl effectively. Pipe nails are little works of art and industrial design. They cost so little, they refuse to get lost. They will follow you home no matter what. I have a wooden golf tee hidden in the kitchen for when I need it. And of course, I use my fingers, but they're not that great for scooping or tamping a hot ember. I do flirt with the overpriced Savinelli tampers with bright plastic handles and unscrew picks, but pipe nails keep upstaging them.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
extreme-macro-closeup-fingertip-260nw-1201119721.jpg

tomnernas2ndson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Nebraska
I don’t actually have any purpose built tamper yet (maybe Santa will remember me next year)

Golf tees are my go to tool for the job, they seem to work well enough, this is what was in the car just now:

View attachment 15953
I second the golf tees. Especially while working in the yard. Lose one you are out a few cents.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have an infinite number of tampers and actually forgot one yesterday. Ended up using my fingers, which doesn't bother me. But at the end of the bowl , it makes it harder and dirtier to scrape the dottle out. Lucky for me I'm smoking a Grabow, so I just banged it against the car window to clear it out. Ha.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
While I have been known to use a nail, pen, mini screwdriver, pipe nail, used filters, pinky finger, and more, I have a couple of these that are my standby tools:

613NoDUNpfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
my problem with these is it's too easy to scrape the edge of the inner rim...
maybe I'm weird.

Reactions: B.Fee

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
my problem with these is it's too easy to scrape the edge of the inner rim...
maybe I'm weird.

That it is! A lesson learned almost immediately. You do indeed have to make sure you are holding them at the right angle so that stupid pick (that almost never gets used anyway) doesn't scrape your briar. I got used to it though, second nature now, but I'll probably get something different when these inevitably get lost.

Reactions: B.Fee and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I got a little stash of these off eBay. I’ve seen them called Charatan tampers and also Peterson but I don’t think they are either. Sort of an acrylic amber with rounded brass tamper end. I love them. Lost one in the front garden of the yard and I’ve tried metal detecting it out with no success. I apparently do not understand how to use a metal detector.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Just a 99 cent pipe nail with the end being a little paddle thing. I love the paddle especially because when I find myself not smoking a bowl all the way down, I use it to sort of scoop up ash when my bowl goes out and sort of "spackle" the chamber walls, while removing the bits of tobacco stuck to the walls which lead to brittle cake. Then i dump the ashe if it's difficult to relight. It's also helpful if the bowl I've got isnt tapered and there's tobacco pushed up against the side of the bowl opposite of the draft hole, I just push it towards the hole and tamp at an angle.

Reactions: B.Fee and BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just a 99 cent pipe nail with the end being a little paddle thing. I love the paddle especially because when I find myself not smoking a bowl all the way down, I use it to sort of scoop up ash when my bowl goes out and sort of "spackle" the chamber walls, while removing the bits of tobacco stuck to the walls which lead to brittle cake. Then i dump the ashe if it's difficult to relight. It's also helpful if the bowl I've got isnt tapered and there's tobacco pushed up against the side of the bowl opposite of the draft hole, I just push it towards the hole and tamp at an angle.

I have those little doohickeys all over the place. House, car, smoke shack, work, etc. They are perfectly fine.

Reactions: B.Fee
Status
Not open for further replies.