PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I made a few dowel & 9mm shell case tampers recently. Brass/spent case was ”free”, and the 36” dowel cost me $0.65. Had fun with stain, paint, bedliner (pictured!), and just burning wood for effect. At 4” each, I got 9 tampers! Gave all but one away already.
Golf tee and nails live in my car...and plenty in reserve.
Czech tools abound as well, just in case.160301603116032

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
BROB, how sensitive is a metal detector to brass? Maybe some are magnetic and don't respond to non-ferrous? I don't know, just a thought.

Reactions: BROBS

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just got a couple of the below tool. Well made.

Most often: finger, golf tees, pipe tool (below) cut cherry branches, found bits of oak, pine or dowels, in about that order

613NoDUNpfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I like the round pipe nails the best and have them stashed in every pocket and all over the house. I also like the 8deco bamboo, but they're not pocket friendly. But I also just use my finger and whatever's laying around, usually golf tees, nails or sticks.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I like the round pipe nails the best and have them stashed in every pocket and all over the house. I also like the 8deco bamboo, but they're not pocket friendly. But I also just use my finger and whatever's laying around, usually golf tees, nails or sticks.
+ 1 on the sticks. If they get too dirty, they go in the ashtray for disposal in the compost heap.
Also, +1 on actual nails.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Some of you guys got some classy tampers.

@mso489 the detector has a non-ferrous setting. I just don’t understand how to use it properly ?. It has this thing called “disc / notch” and I’m probably using it wrong.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
To be clear - I got my idea from this forum to “repurpose” my brass for tampers...and I think it’s awesome (and pretty cool, with a good story to boot). I’m just not handy enough to make great versions. But happy to jam some dowel or appropriately sized sticks into a 9mm case...and slap some stain/paint/burn marks on the wood...and call it unique (for cheap)?

Status
Not open for further replies.