PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Ken Lamb made a stainless pipe tool many years ago, maybe'02. I purchased a couple from him at the Chicago pipe show. Gifted one away, still have two. My favorite pipe tool/tamper. Bullet proof, milled from one sold piece of steel. I'll try to find time to take a picture and post it this week.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

When I'm not using my old man tamper ( which is my favorite) or I need something with a pokey thingy, I always keep my Sheffield pipe knife in the pen pocket of my coat. I've had this one for a few years, and it's always with me. Seen some abuse in it's day

I also have a stainless steel version too, however haven't been able to find it for a few months....

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I get the deal with the brass and nails, but what do you do to get get ruttle out if you carry brass? With my Sheffield I can keep the cake trimed with the blade. I have never had to purchase a reamer. Plus a few strokes on a stone and you have a nice pocket knife as well.
Jef

Reactions: Casual and didimauw

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
View attachment 16449

When I'm not using my old man tamper ( which is my favorite) or I need something with a pokey thingy, I always keep my Sheffield pipe knife in the pen pocket of my coat. I've had this one for a few years, and it's always with me. Seen some abuse in it's day

View attachment 16450
View attachment 16451
I also have a stainless steel version too, however haven't been able to find it for a few months....
It may have some dings, but it looks like it is holding up just fine.
Jef

Reactions: didimauw

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I think matey the OP's idea of a wine/port cork is brilliant!

Up until about two years ago I used a depleated (I hope) bullet case until a very kind US forum member sent me an impression of an old style metal tamper!

Now I've had to hang up my pipe for health reasons it will be passed on to a current smoker.

i have a gent in mind ?

Regards,

Jay.

HatMagnet

Lurker
Jan 24, 2020
Arkansas
I have several of the Czech tools at home, In the truck and in pockets but I've had good luck with wood screws,roofing nails and my pocket knife too.

The cartridge case is a good idea and I've always got some of those around.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and B.Fee
Status
Not open for further replies.