PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
By my last count, there are only 7 pipe-tobacco manufacturers of significant size remaining in the world:

1. C&D - US
2. Mac Baren - Denmark
3. STG - Denmark
4. K&K - Germany
5. DTM - Germany
6. G&H - Brit
7. Germain's - Brit

The others, like Sutliff and Sam Gawith, are all owned by one of the above or get their leaf from the above. Have I missed any? If Germain's closes, it'll be a HUGE loss. It's not a question of whether other blenders are better. It's a question of whether other blenders make anything like Germain's. They don't, not really. Germain's toppings are pretty unique.

Japan Tobacco does make Condor and Revor Plug, both in Poland I think. They're not available in the US.
My apologies.

I missed:

8. Big Tobacco, Altria - US (Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Middleton)
I don't think Japan Tobacco make Revor. Do they?
Not entirely sure. JT bought Revor from Manchester Tobacco and there is a post in the forum here that STG makes it for MT. So maybe not made in Poland after all.

Jun 9, 2018
England
My apologies.

I missed:

8. Big Tobacco, Altria - US (Prince Alberrt, Carter Hall, Middleton)

Not entirely sure. JT bought Revor Manchester Tobacco and there is a post in the forum here that STG makes it for MT. So maybe not made in Poland after all.
That's it, STG make it. Knew i'd read that a couple of times. Whoever makes it they're doing a great job 👍

Reactions: hawky454 and mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
By my last count, there are only 7 pipe-tobacco manufacturers of significant size remaining in the world:

1. C&D - US
2. Mac Baren - Denmark
3. STG - Denmark
4. K&K - Germany
5. DTM - Germany
6. G&H - Brit
7. Germain's - Brit

The others, like Sutliff and Sam Gawith, are all owned by one of the above or get their leaf from the above. Have I missed any? If Germain's closes, it'll be a HUGE loss. It's not a question of whether other blenders are better. It's a question of whether other blenders make anything like Germain's. They don't, not really. Germain's toppings are pretty unique.

Japan Tobacco does make Condor and Revor Plug, both in Poland I think. They're not available in the US.
I think it's fair to list Sutliff as a manufacturer outside of Mac Baren, at least with an asterisk. Those brands are not produced in Denmark and imported to the US, but are manufactured here in the states in Richmond are they not?

Reactions: mingc

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I agree that a loss of 1 maker in 7 or 8 is a huge loss.

The lost of 30ish blends out of 600-700+ is less concerning to me.

I really hope it doesn't happen but if it does then it does. There is still more variety of good stuff out there that I will likely never get the chance to go through and try it all, so I can't worry about it.

I'm just happy that I can still legally buy pipe tobacco and that my live-in doesn't lament my hobby too much. :)

I suppose one virtue of being on the newer side of pipe smoking is that I don't have fond memories of dead blends to look back on so my fear of missing out is even less. That doesn't help with having sampled a few of these blends and while I enjoy them, I just can't put them on a higher level than many others...

I suppose I will think twice about reaching for a new tin to pop but then again, I am living now....

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Wow. I did not think the discussion would go on for this length. I apologize if anyone is distressed as I was genuinely not trying to cause a rip in the space time continuum. I appreciate the wisdom given and the thoughtful comments, along with the knowledge on how to read the Germain codes. Having never had any of the Germain blends (until my recent purchase of Balkan Sobranie) I am in everyones debt as it regards the reviews and thoughts on their blend.

Case in point, I had the choice and funds at the shop to purchase either a tin of Balkan Sobranie or Dunbar. So I hopped on Tobacco Reviews and saw Dunbar had an apricot topping and then read @JimInks review and that sage wisdom made me choose Balkan Sobranie. Even if it is not as good as it once was, as some say, I would have kicked myself for not at least picking it up. So thank you. This is a wonderful community.

Regarding if Germain is going out of business, I highly doubt it considering the hoopla around their blends. Also I am 1000% sure the cigar salesman was talking out of his you-know-what, trying to upsell, and pressure my sense of FOMO to buy more. I did not. I got my tin of Balkan Sobranie and am happy as a clam. Still havent tried it yet….

Reactions: ThermionicScott

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Before we vilify all the tobacco producers, let's remember that there MAY be a number of things they can't control. Jim touched on it earlier - suppliers who quit growing tobacco to grow other crops, for example.

There is also no guarantee that a crop is exactly the same from one year to another and that can also affect a blend. A friend of mine who worked in the wine industry for over 20 years told me vineyards have the same problem with crops and that why one year bottling can be award winning and the next year the same wine may be in the "meh" category.
Your comment reminded me that a few years ago, tobacco farmers in North Carolina were offered subsidies to grow soybeans instead. I don't know how many farmers changed over, but I wouldn't be surprised by any number I saw.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I always thought, with Gawith’s Lakeland sauce, and Germain’s Fermented Apricot Sauce I’ll call it, this was more about a Casing/Topping process, that really gave us those Signature Profile Notes, more so than what crop was being used at that time, or replaced.

So when people are saying, these Signatures Profile Notes of Lakeland and Apricot are not the same, I always considered quality control issues in the Casing/Topping process falling short somewhere...

As long as the crops are decent, sure we get it, one VA might be more grass, floral, citrus, or bread notes, etc., compared to another, but that’s just the profile of the VAs, not the Sauce being applied.

hmm 🤔

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Side note I think the future of pipe tobacco pricing is going to be more like cigars. Some blends costing more because the components are more expensive. I could be wrong but I think that it's really going to end up being the only way to keep it worthwhile for farmers to grow certain types of tobacco is if they can sell them at a price that makes up for the smaller levels of it used in blends. I don't think it's going to be as crazy as it is with cigars but I think a straight burly or Virginia blend will probably be cheaper then something with more condimental leaf.
It might also help keep blends more consistent. Because blenders won't be as tempted to replace one thing with another if they can make sure it doesn't cut into profits.
Though someone in the industry could certainly have a much better idea then that.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

ConnorD

Lurker
Jan 10, 2023
Side note I think the future of pipe tobacco pricing is going to be more like cigars. Some blends costing more because the components are more expensive. I could be wrong but I think that it's really going to end up being the only way to keep it worthwhile for farmers to grow certain types of tobacco is if they can sell them at a price that makes up for the smaller levels of it used in blends. I don't think it's going to be as crazy as it is with cigars but I think a straight burly or Virginia blend will probably be cheaper then something with more condimental leaf.
It might also help keep blends more consistent. Because blenders won't be as tempted to replace one thing with another if they can make sure it doesn't cut into profits.
Though someone in the industry could certainly have a much better idea then that.
Probably won't be as high as cigars since those require quite a lot of qualified rolling labor(at least if we are talking about handrolled cigars). But as per usual quality = higher price. Question is if demand going to be rising in upcoming years for those higher end blends, since if demand lowers then farmers might switch to something more convential to not sit on harvested crops and wait for demand to arrive.
Haven't looked into stats for a while so can't really make an educated guess, but one can only hope for consistent, quality product :D

Oct 7, 2016