PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Just wanted to let all know that this is back in stock at Smoking Pipes. Looking forward to finally trying this one.
Strong plug fans take note.
GH Dark Plug

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Appreciate that uncle. I have some flake left over but love the plugs of anything even better. It's stout but tasty. Just take it slow. I'll just have to snatch me a few ozs. Thank you

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I put down about 8 X 500 around Jan. 1.
I really like smokingpipes notification system when a tobacco is unavailable. Sign up yourself, it comes in and one alert email. You aren't spammed but ask to be notified. It comes in and just one email. Another thing that smokingpipes does well, among so many others.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Agreed on the email notifications. That's how I knew it was available.
Now if they'd only get Grousemoor plug.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yeah, I ordered some when I got the notification, and I got it yesterday. Man, I like this stuff! Put some in a Peterson 317 and smoked it for about 1 1/4 hours. This is some real tobacco, and I love it! It'll curl your nose hairs for sure. I can't believe this is as good as it is, and it sure has a real nic hit, but what flavor! One of my favorite tobaccos for sure. I haven't had such a thrill since GLP 2005 Cumberland. You definitely have to take it slow, but the flavor is amazing. I get a sense of cigar from it, but it has no cigar leaf in it. Proceed slowly and it's a wonderful smoke.

Oh, I did have some bourbon to drink with it, so that might have had some effect on my perception of the smoke. :mrgreen:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Although SG makes a plug version of many of its tobaccos, nary a one is available in the States, though if you're willing to pay double what it would cost here, Synjeco will sell it to you. I guess plug is smoked in Europe more. There are no more than a half-dozen, if that, plug tobaccos made by US houses, Jackknife, Triple Play and Temple Bar are all that I know. War Horse is a crumble cake though it's called plug on the outside of the tin. Mike @ Mars was the only one who could get Dark Plug for years; not so anymore.
I'm glad that GH has opened distribution to smokingpipes, but I doubt you'll see Grousemoor Plug.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Well, on the contrary, Smoking Pipes has SG Kendal Plug listed on their site, though it is out of stock. So it would seem they intend on restocking at some point, and might also indicate they could have access to the other plugs offered by Samuel Gawith.
Add Gaslight to the US made plugs.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Dark Plug is polluted with Lakeland, which just ruins it for me."
Dan, you need to try the unscented version...no 'Lakeland Sauce', just lovely full flavoured tobacco.
Regards,
Jay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jay, I don't think that we can get the unscented plug here in the US. I'm a fan of GH and SG, just not a fan of Lakeland, Lord knows I've tried.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Dark Plug Unscented is available in the USA. In fact, it's the only way it comes since there is no Aromatic version available to us here.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.4noggins.com/gawith-hoggarth-bulk-dark-plug.aspx omg rich you started carrying it. Yuge

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Hmmm... The Dark Plug that I tried definitely had Lakeland contamination. JimInks also detected it in the sample he smoked for his review. Rich, have you smoke the Dark Plug that you carry? Any Lakeland present? Thanks.

You will pick up a hint of the "essence" or flavoring in the initial lighting of either of the unscented versions, but it dissipates quickly. I find that the plug has a little more than the flake, but that may be just evaporation. IMO, none of the GH&co offerings are completely devoid of the lakeland.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yes I find the G&H unscented to have a scent, I love bright CR flake but there is a noticeable Lakeland flavour all the way through. But I'm ok with that

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
GH makes Dark Plug Rose Geranium, but it is not available here; maybe you somehow smoked it? I've smoked both Dark Flake and Plug Unscented for some time and would say that both are natural tobacco..
I believe the revulsion experienced and described by so many to Lakeland scenting amounts to no more than group think to retain group membership. There is very little if any critical reaction described, but instead just something along the lines of "OMG! Lakeland! Yikes!" I may be missing your true reaction, but I tire of the rejection to Lakelands on the basis of a particular style of topping.
Just my thoughts.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I don't hate Lakeland, and I can see where people might actually like it. I'd just prefer to smoke something without it. The tiny bit present in most of the GH "unscented" products is OK, but the Dark Plug that I tried about a year ago was a bit too much.
My aversion to the scent, I can assure you, is not groupthink or born of a need to belong to some odd cabal of aromaphobes. I don't like tobacco that is flavored with anything other than scents that are based on (or strongly resemble) food or beverage products. Or smoke. Fig, apricot, raisin, licorice, anise, rum, whiskey, dark fired, Latakia...you get the idea. Lakeland is not an aroma that I would ever equate with food.
And, as a soap maker, I wouldn't use it in soap, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.