PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I didn't catch any scent on the dark flake u/s but then again I find it stronger than their Brown bogie

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
woodsroad, Cosmic pretty much nailed it. If you'd like. I'd be than happy to send you a sample. PM me with your mailing address.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
OK, I'll try it again and let you all know what i find.
It's well documented that taste and smell are highly individualistic both in reception and perception. One man's "unscented" is another man's olfactory maelstrom.
Rich, thank you for the kind offer, but I think that I'll just order up a lump of Dark Plug from you and give it another try. If I don't like it, I know that there are plenty of folks at the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club who will!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Woodsroad, thank you for the explanation.
I don't know what tobacco you guys are smoking to find scenting in the Dark Plug available here. I bet you can't smell it, either.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Saltedplug, not sure why you can't accept that some people can detect aromas that you can't. I'm often amazed at what my wife can smell that I can't, and visa versa. For example, I have a great ability to smell mold and mildew, as well as products of fermentation. So sometimes that's really good, as in enjoying making bread and beer, other times not so good (as in a moldy smelling hotel room). The aromas of whole-leaf tobacco, hops, malted grains and autumn leaves send chills of happiness down my spine. Synthetic perfumes like the crap they use in room "deodorizers", urinal cakes, car "fresheners" and febreeze make me crazy and overwhelm my sense of smell.
We're all different. It's one of the great things to enjoy about people.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Once you regularly start smoking G&H the scent you start to get used to, it starts out very noticeable and then over time you get used to it and have to search for it. You will notice it at first but it shouldn't make you retch. Beware though, if you don't like strong slap you in your face leave you on your knees kind of tobacco, you probably won't like dark flake. The plug is most likely stronger

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I just checked mine and it maybe has the faintest hint of "Lakeland" in the bag. If I wasn't looking for it I don't think I would notice at all. Just lit up a small bowl and there is the slightest hint of scent. Not in any way overpowering.
To be honest, I find this reminiscent of Brown Irish X and Happy Brown Bogie.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Saltedplug, not sure why you can't accept that some people can detect aromas that you can't.
I think you are right. I get this intense aroma of bs from War Horse :lol:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Woodsroad, I thought my sense of smell representative, but now I know there are representatives!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I don't like tobacco that is flavored with anything other than scents that are based on (or strongly resemble) food or beverage products."
Yet you have a finger in the pie of War Horse...which stinks smells like no foodstuff I have ever tasted. Still today, after several months I can smell the two blocks (red & green) I have (both bagged and tinned) everytime I enter my kitchen! I dare not even keep it near my regular tobacco stash for fear of cross contamination.
Try the unscented version Dan, you will be delighted.
Regards,
Jay.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My wife and I smoked some Dark Plug tonight and still didn't notice any Lakeland essence. Not saying it's not there, but to our senses, we couldn't find any. Still, we really like this tobacco a lot! One of the better plugs that we've had.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This just in from 4Noggins:
2v2uBsPL8x3L6Bn.jpg

I don't smell Lakeland in either the Dark Plug or Dark Flake (Unscented)

Status
Not open for further replies.