PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Well, it only took me 17 days longer than I said but I finally got around to trying this. I joyfully loaded up a bowl of Black XX that had been sliced, dried and rubbed out. Went outside thinking I was going to enjoy something akin to GH&Co's Black Twist which I love so I sat in my smoking chair and fired it up. I didn't get a charred steak taste. I didn't get a motor oil tasted. I didn't get anything like the GH version taste other than it's as deep and rich as said cousin. What I did get from beginning to end was musky cat butt fart taste. This is not good. I've yet to taste a rope I didn't like until now. Even now as I am sitting here, sipping on Black Cherry water, the musky cat butt fart taste is emanating from the tissues my mouth with a film of dumpster waste juice on my lips. I'm gonna go brush, floss and use mouthwash. If that doesn't remove it, I'll try doing all that with drain cleaner. I hope it hasn't ghosted my mouth. I can't help but wonder if Dissident_Mantis didn't feed his cat nothing but Indian food for week, then take some cat turds out of his cat's liter box, put it in a dehydrator and wrap it in the outer leaves as a joke. If so, it would be a good one! Maybe thats how they make this at the factory. This stuff is just wrong.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The only way I found I can make use of the 'barbecued meat' taste I get from this rope is to cut a very thin coin and rub it in with a bowl of something else. Its just too much (for me) on its own.

Reactions: shanez

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Is SG Black XX processed with olive oil like GH Black Irish X? I've not had the former. The latter may be the foulest tobacco I've ever had. As I have written elsewhere, the smell of cooking oil splatters smoking off the heating element of an electric stove is exactly the smell/taste of Black Irish X, with the addition of some strong Virginias. Why someone thought to add oil to this witches' brew is completely beyond me.

Reactions: shanez

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I have seen a lot of descriptions on here lately such as tastes like "ass", "musky dog farts", blah, blah. This leads me to wonder what some of you people eat on a regular or even irregular basis.

Well, you know, its a pandemic. We have to go to extreme measures man! Don't judge me.

Reactions: mingc
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Well, it only took me 17 days longer than I said but I finally got around to trying this. I joyfully loaded up a bowl of Black XX that had been sliced, dried and rubbed out. Went outside thinking I was going to enjoy something akin to GH&Co's Black Twist which I love so I sat in my smoking chair and fired it up. I didn't get a charred steak taste. I didn't get a motor oil tasted. I didn't get anything like the GH version taste other than it's as deep and rich as said cousin. What I did get from beginning to end was musky cat butt fart taste. This is not good. I've yet to taste a rope I didn't like until now. Even now as I am sitting here, sipping on Black Cherry water, the musky cat butt fart taste is emanating from the tissues my mouth with a film of dumpster waste juice on my lips. I'm gonna go brush, floss and use mouthwash. If that doesn't remove it, I'll try doing all that with drain cleaner. I hope it hasn't ghosted my mouth. I can't help but wonder if Dissident_Mantis didn't feed his cat nothing but Indian food for week, then take some cat turds out of his cat's liter box, put it in a dehydrator and wrap it in the outer leaves as a joke. If so, it would be a good one! Maybe thats how they make this at the factory. This stuff is just wrong.

Bizaro Jiminks strikes again. Hahaha

Last edited:
Reactions: mingc

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Is SG Black XX processed with olive oil like GH Black Irish X? I've not had the former. The latter may be the foulest tobacco I've ever had. As I have written elsewhere, the smell of cooking oil splatters smoking off the heating element of an electric stove is exactly the smell/taste of Black Irish X, with the addition of some strong Virginias. Why someone thought to add oil to this witches' brew is completely beyond me.
I'm beginning to suspect olive oil is the culprit in all blends with this quality. They all remind me of being around burning olive oil so maybe it is indeed the common denominator.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I've been smoking pretty much nothing but Black XX and Sliced Black Twist since the quarantine started. IMO, they're exactly the same tobacco. Sometimes when I leave the room and come back in it smells like a barnyard, I love me some musky cat butt fart I guess!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I've been smoking pretty much nothing but Black XX and Sliced Black Twist since the quarantine started. IMO, they're exactly the same tobacco. Sometimes when I leave the room and come back in it smells like a barnyard, I love me some musky cat butt fart I guess!

I really thought they would be too because I love th TH version. It's possible we got a bad tin because Baxter the rope guy thought it would be funny to dip it in a fouled toilet right before canning since he knew it was his last day.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I really thought they would be too because I love th TH version. It's possible we got a bad tin because Baxter the rope guy thought it would be funny to dip it in a fouled toilet right before canning since he knew it was his last day.
Honestly, my recommendation would be to try your best to smoke it with no drying time whatsoever. I like to slice it as thin as I can with a cigar cutter, stack 6 or 7 coins on top of each other, and rub them together very lightly. It takes a long time to light, but if you pack it loosely enough you can get to the bottom with no relights. When it's dry, it loses a lot of the texture and flavors that make it so wonderful, imo.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Thanks goose. Since I am still experiencing PTTSD (Post Traumatic Tobacco Stress Disorder) I decided to take your idea a step further and repurpose them.
  1. Cut into various sized slices
  2. Apply epoxy to each slice.
  3. Slip them under wobbly table legs at restaurants when the virus is over.
Hey if you're gonna go that route I'll make you a trade for something you'd enjoy.
As hard as it is to find this tobacco, I'd like to see as little as possible go to waste

Reactions: rushx9
Jan 27, 2020
Well, I just had my first GH twist experience with the rum one. Won’t say I’m entirely turned off but it certainly isn’t a bit of a departure from everything else. I smoked it a bit too wet am so it clogged my pipe’s pluming at some point. I did taste some artifact of alcohol, sort of like a burnt chocolate rum cake or such. I could see how something like this might grown on me, like a Mexican mole which seemed weird at first only to crave it after having it a couple times.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I could see how something like this might grown on me, like a Mexican mole which seemed weird at first only to crave it after having it a couple times.

Exactly. I might be wrong but they might just sprinkle a little bit of crack on as they twist the ropes because they grow on you - a lot. Next thing you know, your wife is saying "want to go up stairs?" with that twinkle in her eye and you are thinking, "Huh!?!? Sex or a bowl of GH rope?" And as a guy, that was never a tough decision before but now...

That's why I think there is some crack in there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A blend and a single leaf I like a lot have a definite barnyard tin note, but have an elegant smokey fragrance when smoked. If I need a little rural nostalgia, though, sniffing those jars brings back a scene of cattle, goats, chickens, hogs and horses. The leaf itself looks completely leaf-like, no suspicious lumps or previously digested hay.

Jan 27, 2020
Exactly. I might be wrong but they might just sprinkle a little bit of crack on as they twist the ropes because they grow on you - a lot. Next thing you know, your wife is saying "want to go up stairs?" with that twinkle in her eye and you are thinking, "Huh!?!? Sex or a bowl of GH rope?" And as a guy, that was never a tough decision before but now...

That's why I think there is some crack in there.

I know the feeling... my girlfriend went to bed early last night and I was on the sofa sniffing a jar of it I broke apart. The smell reminds me in a pleasant of something very specific I can’t yet name, I might sneak into the bathroom later with the jar to do a further investigation.

Reactions: hauntedmyst
Jan 27, 2020
A blend and a single leaf I like a lot have a definite barnyard tin note, but have an elegant smokey fragrance when smoked. If I need a little rural nostalgia, though, sniffing those jars brings back a scene of cattle, goats, chickens, hogs and horses. The leaf itself looks completely leaf-like, no suspicious lumps or previously digested hay.

The rum one though smells of a dessert...or maybe a Moroccan tagine which includes prunes; sweet and savory, it’s making me a bit crazy trying to place it.

Reactions: hauntedmyst
Status
Not open for further replies.