PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
About 30 years ago I found a walnut smoking stand at a tag sale which i bought for about $15-20. It is in bad shape and needs refinishing as the top was peeling. I cleaned it up but someday will do a proper job, The copper lined humidor and humidifier (?) is still intact. I bough it because my grandfather had a similar one which went to a relative and I imagine thrown out but succeeding generations. (EEEEW Smoking !).

The picture below is shown only for shape --- mine is no where near as nice ... yet ! Mine doesn't have corner decorations or marble or inlay --- just plain. But plain walnut is actually quite elegant.

View attachment 140709
Does yours have a tambour door? If so, I reckon it's a night table, and the door closed off a porcelain bowl of goodies.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
This isn't a smoking cabinet. It's a night stand. As part of a 19th century French Louis 16 revival set I bought decades ago, I have a stand, clearly made by the same maker as the one pictured above, and identical except the top is rose marble and the door front is a sunburst inlaid with different colored woods.
I just used that picture as its the closest I could find to the shape. Mine is a humidor stand ...the cabinet opens and the inside is lined copper and has a ceramic or chalk based humidor in it and was for storing tobacco. My grandfather had one in his den. I don't know the proper name but it was used for tobacco or cigars. The humidor insert was removable and could be soaked in water. If I can get to it I will take a picture and post it. Sorry for any confusion. Mine was not expensive as I said but is walnut.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Does yours have a tambour door? If so, I reckon it's a night table, and the door closed off a porcelain bowl of goodies.
I just looked up tambour door. No. The door has a hook latch, two hinges and seals air tight. The lining is copper and has an old fashioned humidor at the back with some kind of chalk type insert. It is lined with copper all sides. The inside of the door fits into the box to form air seal. I'll tale a picture and post when i can.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
This isn't a smoking cabinet. It's a night stand. As part of a 19th century French Louis 16 revival set I bought decades ago, I have a stand, clearly made by the same maker as the one pictured above, and identical except the top is rose marble and the door front is a sunburst inlaid with different colored woods.
Like this:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I admit I don't work the yard sales and antique shops, but that is partly because I've been to a number, and pipes seem to be highly regional. I live near an ongoing flea market run at the state fairgrounds in the off-season, and even there, pipes are rare and, when found, pretty junky.

This must have been predominantly cigarette country, considering a huge cigarette plant was just up the road. If I find myself at a garage sale, yard sale, etc., I always look. I've been in other areas, like upstate New York, and pipes show up there regularly. I didn't find any I wanted, but it was clear, it was worth looking every month or two.

A lot of the people who move in and out of this area are upwardly mobile and move often, so they cull. They don't have anything of grandpa's they don't consider a family heirloom and take with them.