PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
The only tobac related items found are the usual empty racks, grandpas pipes were a personal item and discarded. Have had a lot of luck with other antique items resold to support pad, but this takes many years to get a handle on sleepers. Shops in my area have often resulted in some good finds of quality pipes. Antique co ops are good but the pickers often consult e bay for price point. Keep looking there is some good stuff out there.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
I’ve had great luck at antique stores who do all the “sailing “. I give them all my junk and basket pipes snd racks (which are usually a box full) and they give me all the nicer pipes. ( I gotten at least 50 $100-400 pipes this way). Sometimes they don’t have anything of value, but I’ll give em the box of junkers anyhow. I think there is something in their DNA that loves old stuff.

Reactions: Searock Fan

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
I've had two very good days at yard sales. Several years ago I brought this home:
Estate2.JPG

There's one Dunhill, two Savinelli giugileo d'oros (one a gold band with two stems), other savinellis, stanwells, etc. If I recall, I paid $60 for all of it.

More recently I ran across this:
EstateM.jpg

That is a Barling Meerschaum, five figural Meerschaums, (3 unsmoked). a Kiko Meerschaum lined, two Kirstens, two Nimrod lighters, a lifetime supply of paper filters, etc.. That lot set me back $40.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've had no real luck to speak of in my region, very little tobacciana items.

I think @mso489 hit it on the head regarding regional / historical trends.

And I've seen the professionals out very early buying all the tools they can get their hands on for the pawn shops...

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
One really nice meerschaum 'cutty' circa 1860/70 with a short amber mouthpiece that had totally disintegrated. The case was beautiful and had been patched up back in the day. I had the pipe banded around the stem and the bowl by Shervington's in High Holborn London and a new faux amber stem added. The pipe cost me £3 and the repairs ran me £20 and 34 years later I am still smoking the damn thing!

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I've had some luck with joblots recently. I found a Dunhill bent billiard (1980) in a lot of about 10 pipes, I paid £10 for the lot.

I also found a no-name pipe with silver fittings and an albatross wing-bone extension, sadly missing it's short stem (also in a joblot that contained a couple of Bewlays).

A couple of weeks ago I was in a small seaside town and picked up a Golden Arrow, a Kriswill Golden Clipper and a Kiko meerschaum lined poker for £10 total. They were in a stand with three other basket pipes and I'm sure the lady would have sold me the lot for the same price.

There are definitely still things to be found here in the UK!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have never been to a garage sale. But I have bought most of my pipes at antique shows and flea markets. In fact, wherever I am, if I see an antique house I go in and say: "Hi. Do you have pipes? The photos are from a week ago.
View attachment 140923View attachment 140924
Man I miss Argentina! Please tell you snapped up that big sandblast and the silver capped gourd in the first pic

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Man I miss Argentina! Please tell you snapped up that big sandblast and the silver capped gourd in the first pic
Nope. Today I only buy if the piece seems interesting or has value. I don't need any more junk pipes. The only way that I get a pipe that I'm not interested in is if I buy a lot where there is one that interests me.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I've had two very good days at yard sales. Several years ago I brought this home:
View attachment 140885

There's one Dunhill, two Savinelli giugileo d'oros (one a gold band with two stems), other savinellis, stanwells, etc. If I recall, I paid $60 for all of it.

More recently I ran across this:
View attachment 140886

That is a Barling Meerschaum, five figural Meerschaums, (3 unsmoked). a Kiko Meerschaum lined, two Kirstens, two Nimrod lighters, a lifetime supply of paper filters, etc.. That lot set me back $40.
If you would like to double your money give me a ring.... puffy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I posted this last year in another thread. I think it fits here, so for those who missed it, there 'tis.....

"Back in the '80's a friend of mine's wife had a vintage clothing business. One day she bought a whole bunch of crap from an estate and there were about a dozen pipes included. She asked me to take a look which it did. One after another.... Grabow, yello-bole, corn cobb, trash, garbage and so on. Then the very last one. I couldn't believe my eyes. There was a beautiful, hardly smoked, Dunhill ODA smooth billiard. Markings showed it was from 1939! The only thing I could figure was that it had to be a gift because the owner's other pipes showed his taste ran toward cheap and crummy. I informed her of what she had and that the Dunhill was valuable, but she insisted I could have the pipes. I later traded the Dunhill to a collector for 3 Castellos."

I think this story and some of the other posts here show a couple of things. First: finding good pipes this way is not easy. Second: good used pipes are like gold... they're where you find them. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I see houses for sale all over the place that are worth a few tens of thousands of dollars. Yet, without fail, the people selling them (or trying to, albeit haphazardly) think they're worth several times that much.

I suppose human greed (and therefore, imagination) is rampant, whether at the micro or macro level. Go figure.
well and when they bought it, they probably got told in x amount of time it will appreciate for sure to the value they're asking. Also sometimes the values of house go up when certain neighbors move. Could be the factoring in how much nicer the place will be without them.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
For what it's worth, here's a tip on buying pipes at an estate or garage sale.

Let's say you spot a group of pipes and after looking them all over you see that one or two are worth having but the others are junk. Don't just try to buy the one you like while passing on the others. If you do show interest in just the one, often that piece will become very valuable in the eyes of the seller and they might decide they don't want to sell it afterall. Your best bet is to give the seller as little info as possible and make an offer on the whole batch. How much you offer depents on how much that good pipe is worth to you. But always remeber that if you give the seller the impression they are really valuable, you might not end up with any. puffy

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
For what it's worth, here's a tip on buying pipes at an estate or garage sale.

Let's say you spot a group of pipes and after looking them all over you see that one or two are worth having but the others are junk. Don't just try to buy the one you like while passing on the others. If you do show interest in just the one, often that piece will become very valuable in the eyes of the seller and they might decide they don't want to sell it afterall. Your best bet is to give the seller as little info as possible and make an offer on the whole batch. How much you offer depents on how much that good pipe is worth to you. But always remeber that if you give the seller the impression they are really valuable, you might not end up with any. puffy
I'd rather be honest and ask how much for the one. If I like the price I might buy it; but if its outrageous i put it down and walk away. That's fine. ?