PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Title edited for caps, brevity and emphasis. -jpm. Original title:
What pipes and smoking items have you found at garage and estate sales?

PS If I've gone too far and re-wording is wrong, PM me and I will change.

I, for one, would be interested in knowing if any one is having luck finding pipes at garage and estate sales. I'll start the ball rolling. When my wife retired about 7 years ago we started going out Saturay morning "garage sailing". Since then I've found and bought 3 racks, all 8 pipes type and one has a glass humidore in the center. Don't remeber the exact cost but they were cheap... about $5 each. I've also bought 2 nice cigar humidores that would retail for about $75 to $100 each and paid $10 each. As to pipes I've only seen a few and they were not worth the powder it would take to blow them up. How have you done? puffy

Last edited by a moderator:

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I found a pipe rack at a estate sale once came with a couple of grabows I ended up flipping on ebay for just a bit more then the cost of the whole lot. It wasnt that much and they were pretty grarly I didnt even bother cleaning them just sold them as project pipes.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
The only thing I’ve ever found were people who thought a beat up toaster was worth four times it’s value, and they were upset I didn’t haggle them down to the $2 it was worth. They wanted $45.
This is a little off topic, but I know what you mean. We went to a sale yesterday and I spotted quite a few items that you could buy at the dollar stores and they wanted 5 to 10 dollars for them. cray

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I see houses for sale all over the place that are worth a few tens of thousands of dollars. Yet, without fail, the people selling them (or trying to, albeit haphazardly) think they're worth several times that much.

I suppose human greed (and therefore, imagination) is rampant, whether at the micro or macro level. Go figure.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I spent over an hour recently while on holiday at a country town wandering through a huge barn full of "antique and bric a bric" stalls. I came across one rather ordinary looking pipe bowl minus its stem.
Didn't bother asking to have a look.

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've never found any pipe related items at a garage sale, but I've been pretty lucky at antique shops. In the past 3-4 years, I've purchased at least a dozen pipes, a pipe rack and a full tin of BBB Sweet Cloud (1960's).

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
While estate sales and garage sales haven’t been fruitful I have had crazy luck at junk shops or little antique flea market type stores in out of the way places. Some of the things I’ve found just amazed me. Now I don’t even bother with garage sales.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
About 30 years ago I found a walnut smoking stand at a tag sale which i bought for about $15-20. It is in bad shape and needs refinishing as the top was peeling. I cleaned it up but someday will do a proper job, The copper lined humidor and humidifier (?) is still intact. I bough it because my grandfather had a similar one which went to a relative and I imagine thrown out but succeeding generations. (EEEEW Smoking !).

The picture below is shown only for shape --- mine is no where near as nice ... yet ! Mine doesn't have corner decorations or marble or inlay --- just plain. But plain walnut is actually quite elegant.

1650287297755.png

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Nothing lately. But years ago, I found one of my beloved Jima's, unsmoked as far as I could tell, in a box of 5 dollars each toys! I'm not sure exactly why someone thought it was a toy ~ but I didn't kick up a fuss about it! :ROFLMAO:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Searock, I suspect that tobacco pipes and related items at yard/garage sales relate strongly to local demographics. Older folks who have been in residence for a long long time are promising. Also, smoking demographics matter; some areas lean more toward cigarettes, and a few toward cigars, rather than pipes.

My area in central North Carolina was always more inclined toward cigarette smoking, it seems, and in my area, the population has churned in a lot of people from other areas who have culled their possessions. I rarely find any pipes, pipe stands, tools or accessories, and if I do, they are not of good quality or in good shape. It is slim pickings.

I am near the state fairgrounds that in the long off season conducts an ongoing flea market, but the same deficit of pipes and related items prevails.

On a trip in New York State I found more, nothing choice, but an obvious presence. Someone on Forums long ago recommended leaving your name at antique shops to call you if they got in any pipes or racks. This might up the asking price, knowing the items are desirable, but might not be a bad idea.