PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ph151

Lurker
Aug 10, 2018
An antique mall about an hour away turned up a Peterson bent bulldog for $5.

I like the antique mall concept as you get to see maybe 100 different vendors all filling their own niche.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
For what it's worth, here's a tip on buying pipes at an estate or garage sale.

Let's say you spot a group of pipes and after looking them all over you see that one or two are worth having but the others are junk. Don't just try to buy the one you like while passing on the others. If you do show interest in just the one, often that piece will become very valuable in the eyes of the seller and they might decide they don't want to sell it afterall. Your best bet is to give the seller as little info as possible and make an offer on the whole batch. How much you offer depents on how much that good pipe is worth to you. But always remeber that if you give the seller the impression they are really valuable, you might not end up with any. puffy
Ya
An antique mall about an hour away turned up a Peterson bent bulldog for $5.

I like the antique mall concept as you get to see maybe 100 different vendors all filling their own niche.
We have The Buenos Aires Flea Market here with the same concept.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Take a roadtrip out west and visit every antique store near by...I bought 45 estate pipes during last 6 months doing it..I.could have bought more ...I may be selling some of them soon which is so hard for me to do cause I like them all...I did let them refurbish and they are great..They are mostly reasonable priced at antiques out west

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I try to cheat the other guy and pass the savings along to you! Lol.
Surely I do not get the joke, is that English is not my first language.
But if the object is labeled with the price and you pay that price, you are meeting the seller's expectations. In that case I don't see any dishonesty, unless you find a pipe that is worth a lot of money and is ready to be sold at that high price. This is generally not the case and the pipes found require, to say the least, cleaning, polishing and de-rusting.
On the other hand, when the object is not labeled with the price, it is usually because they want to charge you, as we say here "according to the face" and in that case the dishonesty could be from the seller.
Greetings

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Surely I do not get the joke, is that English is not my first language.
But if the object is labeled with the price and you pay that price, you are meeting the seller's expectations. In that case I don't see any dishonesty, unless you find a pipe that is worth a lot of money and is ready to be sold at that high price. This is generally not the case and the pipes found require, to say the least, cleaning, polishing and de-rusting.
On the other hand, when the object is not labeled with the price, it is usually because they want to charge you, as we say here "according to the face" and in that case the dishonesty could be from the seller.
Greetings
Yeah, it’s from Click and Clack the Ratchet Brothers. A popular Broadcast and News Article. Their lawyers where Dewey Cheatum & Howe. (Do we cheat them and how!) and their slogan was, “we cheat the other guy and pass the savings along to you!”

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Take a roadtrip out west and visit every antique store near by...I bought 45 estate pipes during last 6 months doing it..I.could have bought more ...I may be selling some of them soon which is so hard for me to do cause I like them all...I did let them refurbish and they are great..They are mostly reasonable priced at antiques out west
Where, please, "out West"? Very few in my region, and I am about as far West as one can get.

Reactions: bayareabriar

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
I've been lucky enough to find some nice pipes at the occasional estate sale. An early Vermont era Elliott Nachwalter. A Frank Augsberger. A Preben Holm. And a few large nice Jobey and Nording. I've even purchased a couple of Micoli stummels (stems were missing) Never paid more than $30 for any of them.

Sep 17, 2019
I don't walk too well but, I wish I attended them more. I will never find a bargain sitting around the house. It's like the Lotto. You have to play to have a chance to win.

Java3

Reactions: Alejo R.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Never bought a pipe at a garage sale. But, I have scored some nice pipes at antique Shops over the years. My two most favorite and prized purchases were pipes made by a local Boise Idaho Carver, Thayne Robertson. He owned and operated a tobacco store in downtown Boise for over 30 years. He was not a prophetic Carver, but the pipes he made were all unique and often commissioned. Here they are-
D0F2B49F-1332-42CC-872B-294D0F673C42.jpegD2B9187A-5DFD-470B-82E6-FEBE969899C2.jpeg

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Not an estate sale, but a "vintage/antique" store. Asked if they had any tobacco pipes, and while the answer was no, the owner asked if I actually smoked pipes. Yes, and he gifted me an unopened tin of Gallaher's Rich Dark Honeydew flake tobacco. He wasn't going to be able to sell it since it wasn't a "tobacco" shop, but more a collector's store. I called that day a win.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
In the northeast, there seems to be more pipe and tobacciana items at flea markets and garage sales. I’ve picked up a pair of Wades and old tobacco tins at flea markets and passed on many lesser quality pipes. Still waiting for a Dunny to show up. I was picking up a small lathe from a guy on eBay and we started talking about pipes. He had a bunch his dad had and I picked up the lot for $50. Kriswells and a number of other nice pipes and a stand, which I cant remember the names of and which I resold. My wife had the best score at a garage sale years back. She picked up a case filled with pipes for $100. She thought I might be mad when she came home with them, but upon opening the case, much to my surprise, I saw there were Peterson’s and an Upshall. The case itself was handmade and an antique. It is free standing, but looks like someone added holes to hang it on a wall, and it has a place at the top for business cards. Panel doors and brass hinges with what looks like a miniature porcelain door pull as well. It is very dark oak and I will not sell it as it looks very nice in the hutch in which it sits. If one puts in the time in an area which had some old time pipe smokers, they just might make a good score.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Before we left for Iceland on April 13th, we stopped into the antique shop a block or two from the house. Much to my surprise, I was able to score some pipes and tobacco tins. On the top is an American Falcon (3); I have a 2 and a 4, so this will be a nice addition. In the middle is a Dr. Grabow 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics Commemorative; not uncommon, but, still fun to have. Bottom is a Kaywoodie, which Susan described as looking like a wrench. The front of the metal looks cracked, but, it shouldn't affect smoking. I got all three as a lot. Below those are a Velvet tin and a rough Prince Albert tin. The highlight is the Velvet because it still has its paper wrapper insert with tobacco intact.

IMG_20220515_121634.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
About 30 years ago I found a walnut smoking stand at a tag sale which i bought for about $15-20. It is in bad shape and needs refinishing as the top was peeling. I cleaned it up but someday will do a proper job, The copper lined humidor and humidifier (?) is still intact. I bough it because my grandfather had a similar one which went to a relative and I imagine thrown out but succeeding generations. (EEEEW Smoking !).

The picture below is shown only for shape --- mine is no where near as nice ... yet ! Mine doesn't have corner decorations or marble or inlay --- just plain. But plain walnut is actually quite elegant.

View attachment 140709
This isn't a smoking cabinet. It's a night stand. As part of a 19th century French Louis 16 revival set I bought decades ago, I have a stand, clearly made by the same maker as the one pictured above, and identical except the top is rose marble and the door front is a sunburst inlaid with different colored woods.

Reactions: OzPiper and jpmcwjr