PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I hear what you're saying. I love SG blends too as well as Germain. Nobody wants to see them go away. On the other hand, I admire what Mac Baren and Kohlhase & Kopp do. My belief is that if anyone is going to keep pipe tobacco alive for us far into the future, it's more likely to be them. The traditional British method of production has been romanticized to a point that seems counter-productive. Personally it doesn't mean that much to me that blends are produced on ancient machines. Yeah, it's cool to have tradition but given that companies are dropping like flies, consistent quality and availability matters more to me.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The traditional British method of production has been romanticized to a point that seems counter-productive. Personally it doesn't mean that much to me that blends are produced on ancient machines.

Isn't Chris Gawith an engineer? I’d bet money that he’s tossing and turning in his bed every night imagining how to modernize and re-tool the machines and the process.

I’d love to see a new series of modern Gawith production alongside their traditional tobaccos.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think the problem is that there really aren’t modern machines that do anything like this. To have one made today would cost so much it would be unreal.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
@logs @BROBS

Agree with both.

I don't put much stock to the actual hardware they use, as much as in the casing/aging/recipes and choice of tobaccos. And to throw in a bit of controversy, I wouldn't think it too unlikely for them to worry that if they change something in production they won't have curmudgeons on the fora saying "they don't make it like they used to" etc.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I think the problem is that there really aren’t modern machines that do anything like this.

It's true with rope tobacco. Nobody has those machines but Gawith. It's not true with the steam press needed to make British style flakes. Mac Baren's factory floor is filled with giant steam press machines. Pretty sure anything Germain produces could also be produced at Mac Baren. With Gawith it's their rope that can't be reproduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.