PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I do think that with Latakia and oriental the leafs a lone. Gas light is the closest to a plug you are gonna get.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I keep mine jarred and wrapped.

View attachment 17175
McClelland used to sell flakes that were as tightly pressed as that. But neither C&D nor Sutliff nor any other American manufacturer seems to make super dense pressed plugs or flakes like that. Maybe they just don't have the machines? Mac Baren makes some beautiful flakes whose uniformity make British flakes look like they were made by a bunch of drunk slackards.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
McClelland used to sell flakes that were as tightly pressed as that. But neither C&D nor Sutliff nor any other American manufacturer seems to make super dense pressed plugs or flakes like that. Maybe they just don't have the machines? Mac Baren makes some beautiful flakes whose uniformity make British flakes look like they were made by a bunch of drunk slackards.
The plugs in the photo are Rattray's Salty Dogs. Picked up 20 plugs on the cheap in a group buy a few years ago. Dense as bricks.?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
But neither C&D nor Sutliff nor any other American manufacturer seems to make super dense pressed plugs or flakes like that. Maybe they just don't have the machines? Mac Baren makes some beautiful flakes whose uniformity make British flakes look like they were made by a bunch of drunk slackards.

Both Mac Baren and Kohlhase & Kopp have unmatched precision in their flakes and plugs. Sure, we can complain all we want about the death of British tobacco, but the Danes and Germans know what their doing and they've got the proper equipment to do it right and in volume. (Of course they also charge more than anyone else too, but you can see why).

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Both Mac Baren and Kohlhase & Kopp have unmatched precision in their flakes and plugs. Sure, we can complain all we want about the death of British tobacco, but the Danes and Germans know what their doing and they've got the proper equipment to do it right and in volume. (Of course they also charge more than anyone else too, but you can see why).

I don't think this is a fair comparison! Modern machines will outperform old ones in pretty much all metrics of power, precision, ease of use, output volumes etc.

What we're getting from these venerable manufacturers is tobacco made in a way that has an inevitable expiry date. SG and GH are not hard for me to get as I travel to the UK pretty often so I arrange for orders to be sent to my company's office in the UK, to pick up when I'm there so my plan is to load up on the few blends that I've tried and love, like Balkan Flake, St James flake and FVF because I know that in the sterile future we're headed to they won't be available.

Reactions: BROBS and logs
Status
Not open for further replies.