PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok boxes are in mail for this go around. I am in the process of moving but hope to get some more pipes restored when I get resettled. These pipes came in ready to go back out and they are some beauties. Can't wait to see pics of the guys smoking them.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It might be a good idea to archive these pictures somewhere. If you need server space, I can help.

porchsitter

Lurker
Oct 11, 2015
I am truly a blessed man! I took off work early today as I couldn't concentrate. Shaintiques had let me know that my FPP package was scheduled to arrive today! I was trying not to get my hopes up as I drove home afraid the package would not be there. I dared not track it online as that would be pure agony. Funny because I usually a very patient man. But not in this case.
As I walked into my front porch the smell of tobacco was hanging in the humid post rain air!! The package had arrived! The smell from the sealed box had me fumbling with my keys to get inside and open this wonderful outpouring of generosity.
Aside from the amazing smell, I was taken off guard by the heft of this box. Inside I found bag after bag of tobacco, seven total zipper bags, one holding what feels to 10-12oz of leaf! Next out of the box was three unopened pouches and an identical number of unopened tins! I am now better stocked than any tobacco shop in at 15 mile or more radius!
And then after burying my nose into each and every one of the zipper bags I reached for the newspaper wrapped items in the bottom of the box. First came the Stanwell Maron (if I am butchering these ID's please forgive me! In my haste I left my glasses at work and am not spending too much time researching right now!). A beautiful pipe that I can only describe as "nimble" in my hand. While I have loved my drug store MM cobs, I feel like this pipe has a soul! And as I think about that soul can sense the enjoyment that it has brought those who have held it before me. I didn't want to put it down but there were two other paper wrapped bundles in the box!
Bundle two provided a beautiful pipe stand! I realized then the difference between this pipe and my cobs: the cobs are very serviceable tools...the Stanwell is functional art! As such it is deserves such a magnificent resting place!
Then the final bundle. A beautiful Ser Jacopo Delecta L2! (Again I can be completely mangling the identifications!)
This thing just oozes style!! The curve of the (super deep!) bowl, the silver band, and that super wide stem blend together with a tough sophistication that I can't seem to stop holding. I sniff of the bowl has me wishing I could have a chat with the prior owner. I think we would get along well!
Shaintiques, I am humbled by your generosity and effort in making this box possible! You Sir are a true gentleman! And to all who contributed or will contribute thank you!

I will post photos and content descriptions ASAP.
And know every time I warm the bowls of either of these two amazing pipes, my heart will also be warmed remembering your humbling generosity.
Thank you and God bless.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Here ya' go! Congrats, sir!
oqDxv75.jpg

porchsitter

Lurker
Oct 11, 2015
Update on FPP box o' blessings:
I posted pipe descriptions above but here are the tobaccos included
Newminster Dutch black no 1

Lane HGL

Frog Morton Across the Pond

Taste of Summer Peach

Clark's Mixture "spc B&M store SC"---Amazing stuff! 1st bowl last night!

McClelland Topper

Altadis Match Revelation

Fox & Hound--HUGE PACKAGE!!
Unopened pouches:

Alsbo Gold

Altadis 502 Medium English

W O Larsen
Unopened tins:

Sutliff R Blend

Erinmore mixture

CB red Sky
And two Pipes and Tobaccos magazines

And two volumes of The Pipe Collector journal
Again thank you Shaintiques and the donors to the project! I am honored to have been gifted such an amazing collection !

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
So just the other day I was enjoying my briar basket pipe in the back yard with my sister in law when it accidentally fell and became permanently disconnected from the shank. It broke my heart. That incident left me with only a Dr. Grabow. I now have a Missouri Meerschaum and bought a lot of 21 Chinese corn cob pipes. The Chinese ones are primarily sharing with friends, family, neighbors and anyone else I may meet who shows interest. Just trying to live up to the generous nature of the community.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Just got these in from Mike at http://www.briarblues.com. Mike donates some of the nicest pipes to the project and is a true asset to the pipe community. These are just gorgeous. I'm prepping for a move so these will go into storage for a little till things get settled down again.

I do want to say that I am going to be doing things a little differently after the move. I'll explain it then, but it is in response to guys receiving packages and then not posting pictures. Despite what some of you may think I have some harsh critics who think that I keep all of the good pipes, which is ridiculous and untrue. But if the recipients don't post pics of what they got who is to say otherwise. I have also in the past been griped out by recipients for hounding them for pics. Which I shouldn't have to do as it is a stipulation of receiving pipes that they will. I've tried to be more lax with how it is run. I mean if you want to participate in the box pass you have to read 40 pages of a thread plus a big rules page and agree to it. I don't want to do that, but guys that are getting free pipes, especially pipes this nice just have to post pics. I'm gong to talk to some of my peers and see what they think is fair and how to best move forward with the project. It will move forward, but as with most things it is often a few rotten apples that ruin the apple cart.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
It is a true shame that some people just have to be poops about things. Dave, I hope this all doesn't throw ice-water on your authoring of this whole program out of the goodness of your heart and for the building of the best parts of the whole pipe community. I know if it were me, I'd be horribly discouraged by the "bad apples".

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
If they don't post pics within a set amount of time, I think public shaming is in order. I have contributed to the FPP and only saw one picture from a person that received it. As for Dave pocketing "the nice pipes" that is ludicrous. Not his style.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Dave, that has to be the most gorgeous sitting pipe I've ever seen. The generosity of people here still amazes me.
After reading your words, I'd like to offer a humorous paraphrasing of the accusation.

Instead of "keeping all of the nice pipes", I prefer to selectively hear "all of the pipes in your keep are nice!".

Yes, that sounds better.

Both you and fnord are inspiring, and please don't let a few bad apples distract you from the mass of grateful pipe smokers who were lucky enough to cross paths with this program.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Glad to see this project is still going strong. While I was never chosen, I was able to acquire a couple things on my own. The only drawback is its going to be 100 degrees plus for the next couple months.....

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Despite what some of you may think I have some harsh critics who think that I keep all of the good pipes, which is ridiculous and untrue.
Wow, really? Some people are just haters I guess. You are doing an excellent job here and I have even seen you posting here about running out of Everclear and using your own alcohol to clean the pipes. I have received 5 tins from this project and the first thing I did was taking a photo and uploading it here. Why won't people do that? Is it that hard? I still don't understand.
I think post count should be taken into consideration. Besides Dave, you may take a picture of the package you are sending and upload it here in case recipient doesn't do.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Shain, I don't know if anyone else has approached you but if you wish to extend this generous gesture across the pond to the UK I would be more than happy to act as receiving station and refurbisher of pipes should you choose to go that route.
When I took up piping in Sep. 2015 I was gifted by a pal all his old pipes. That was the start really for me getting into the pipe smoking world and ultimately to joining this forum.
Regards,
Jay.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
I would like to get on this list. I just smoked a pipe yesterday for the first time. A MM Legend with Prince Albert. It was ok. the PA seemed a little bland. But overall good experience.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I am amazed anyone has any problems with Dave and how he runs the project. He has sent me stuff when I didn't even ask! He is one of the truly GREAT guys here and elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.