PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Greetings. I must ask to be removed from this list/project. After acquiring a couple more pipes from my girlfriend, utilizing the samplers from site sponsors AND the generosity of Forum Members, I find I cannot now in good conscience participate. My situation has improved markedly.
Thanks to Shaintiques for heading up this project. It gave me hope when hope was fleeting. :clap:

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have some very exciting news. Last week I got to hang out with the Dagners. This week they gave the Free Pipe Project a plug on their latest YouTube video. I want to thank them for the plug. Hopefully it will generate some more donations to this project and allow us to get more pipes and tobacco out to new smokers.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I work in a corrections facility and I got my partner to pick up the pipe and put down the cigarettes. I gave him a crummy pipe (which was all I had to give him) and a pound if various tobaccos. Both his kids are autistic so he didn't have the funds to to get a better pipe. I asked shaintiques if he had anything to donate. He sent me two very solid pipes and three bags of aros. He will be super stoked next time I see him. I tried posting pictures of the donation but photo bucket is down. Will try tomorrow.
Oh and he has been smoking the pipe I gave him exclusively for 2 weeks.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Here was what was sent. For details see my above post. Thanks again shaintiques. He is definitely going to be surprised.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
A big thanks to Al Jones (SSjones) for his donation of 2 very nice GBDs to the project awhile back. I've been saving the last one to give to just the right smoker. Met a young man a few weeks ago at an event, only had a cob and a Grabow. Now he has a beautiful GBD Rhodesian and he is stoked. Here is a pic of him smoking his new pipe.

jackal44

Lurker
Feb 18, 2016
Hi There,
I just joined the forum but have been a reader for a little while now. I have to say that this project is remarkable. I am a member of a few forums, from auto to straight razor shaving, but the generosity and feeling of community here is exceptional.
Good on you all.
Duane

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Hi all, been a member of the forum for a while now, posting occasionally. Up till now, pipe smoking has just been an amusing diversion from cigars. My circumstances have changed a little though and I can see pipe smoking taking over, with my remaining cigars being reserved for special occasions. I'm actually thinking about selling some to possibly fund the purchase of a couple of pipes
For the past year or so I've almost exclusively smoked cobs, I've always been worried that my technique isn't that great and that I'd ruin a really nice pipe by smoking too hot! I have one cheap Parker briar and one really nice briar that a friend made for me but I'm too scared to smoke it!
I've been able to sample quite a few tobaccos over the past year. Starting with straight VAs, moving on to VA/Pers and then recently discovering that I don't hate latakia as much as I thought I did! Finding out that smokingpipes.com ship to the UK has been a great as it means I can try out a lot of the bulk stuff that isn't avaliable over here. I'd really like to try dive into all the GLP blends, but there are so many of them. I've only had the fortune to try some Gaslight and Jacknife plug so far.
Anyway, thought I'd enquire about the possibility of getting something to help me fill out a rotation of pipes but I'm absolutely not a priority. I can keep puffing away with my cobs for the moment so anyone starting out totally fresh would deserve to be gifted something over me.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Some weeks ago, I came forward asking in innocent ignorance, what kind of pipe would be nice for a lady who was interested in the hobby should I get? I thought something diminutive would be appropriate, and had other notions of which I was quickly disabused, among other ideas I, and others, had.

Then I thought of the obvious: Go to shaintiques! Not only could he hazard a good guess, but he also offered to supply some samples of what to smoke, a minor matter that I forgot to consider. After mulling it over, Dave came up with a couple of Rhodisians; of those, after talking to my friend, who suggested something curved and small but couldn't come any closer than that, I chose a Kaywoodie between two Rhodisians because of size (it was the smaller of the two) and had clean lines which suggested "feminine" to me as opposed to the larger sandblasted pipe. Shortly thereafter, a box appeared with the Rhodesian--and a huge assortment of non-aeros (I would kick in those). Just another day on the farm for Dave:

img_0997-600x341.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Con't

And for balance (a pipe smoker knows everything about balance) I added some aromatics and lastly a box set of MM Country Gentlemen. And along with the MMs, a truly unusual rebuilt pipe, another Kaywoodie, a prince with some unusual rustication:

img_0999-1-600x438.jpg

So with Dave's help, we'll hopefully induct a member of the fairer sex into our ranks. And after all that, Dave prepared a special tin of flakes for me! Dave, how do ya do it, man?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ah well it has been too long since I last posted. Been job hunting and working odd jobs in the meantime and it has taken its toll on my forum time. I just got in some gorgeous pipes from Mike at Brairblues. He has donated many beautiful and often high grade pipes. You guys should check out his site, www.briarblues.com. He is one of the best sellers and very generous to this project. I just messaged, ghoststone, porchsitter, and eriksmokes85. You guys have until Tuesday to get back with me or I will go to the next name on the list. I'll leave it to the guys to post pics of these beauties when they get them.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Oh my head, what a phenomenal thread! Shaintiques, I can hardly believe you've kept this up for so long! Talk about generosity. I started into this hobby last fall with a MM cob and, after a little persistence, found that quite a lot of enjoyment can be had from a good bowl of tobacco. My collection now contains my cob, a basket pipe (which can be seen in my album) that I purchased from the local B&M and have become quite fond of, and a selection of four different tobaccos. I'm still working my way through acquiring and trying out the different types of leaves and blends. I'm still a fairly new contributor to the forum, but as I gain experience I hope to continue taking part in the community that was so critical to my own pipe smoking explorations. Now, my tale is not exactly woeful, and I almost feel as if I'm taking advantage of Shaintiques's good nature by posting here, but a big thanks and major kudos to all those who have contributed and continue to contribute to this amazing project.

Status
Not open for further replies.