PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

landofnone

Lurker
Nov 2, 2015
I've been a pipe smoker for only 2 days, in the last two days I smoked 3 bowls in my MM Great Dane spool, and I believe two bowls in my MM Cobbit Eif. And I gotta say, I'm loving it, I'm loving it so much that I haven't had a cigarette in two days. Although, haven't been able to get the relaxing part in yet, because of jaw hurting from learning to clench.
I hope one day i can give back to the community.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thanks for your generosity and service! Since starting this fine hobby seven months ago I've managed to get my collection up to five pipes, so I'm not the most deserving recipient of this valiant effort. I do, however, often function as a "gatherer" and "organizer" in my friend circles, so if given a pipe here I would commit to passing it along to someone new as an act of pipe evangelism. I just love connecting people to good things and sharing what I can. That's my promise! Thanks again!

nutcracker

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2015
Shaintiques- I recently had a bunch of OT at work and it got me going with a new pipe and several tins. Thank you for the opportunity that this project has offered many. Please remove me from the list.

brewsmithy

Lurker
Nov 11, 2015
I have been a pipe smoker for almost a year now. I have smoked most of my life, only recently have I found my way to pipes. I found pipe tobacco first, and it is a sad story to tell.
I have smoked cigs most all of my adult life. Recent economic issues, a great increase in taxes, led me to the RYO world, where I found I could purchase a pound of Kentucky Select, a box of Gambler filter tubes, and make a couple hundred smokes. . . as the finances became lower, eventually I found filter tubes out cut into the cost of tobacco, and I purchased my very first pipe, a Brylon pipe, mounted on the tobacco stores wall, attached to a cardboard display, with several more of the exact same pipe, one of only 3 left out of what looked like 10 on the card, so I knew I was not alone in my journey.
For the better part of a year now, I have been smoking my Kentucky Select, until very recently. With a still very ( VERY ) tight budget I found the price of the pound of Select more than I could afford, and in a moment of desperation, I went back to the tobacco shop and purchased a single pouch of Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey.
Upon opening and packing my Brylon pipe with the Borkum, suddenly I realized what I was missing all these years, smoking cigs, and 'cheap' tobacco. . . never before had I actually enjoyed smoking so much.
Yesterday I received my first online purchase of tobacco, again price vs. volume was the main issue. I found that I could buy 1 1/2 pounds combined weight of Virginia Gold Pipe Tobacco in pouches, for $0.99 each. Comparing the next cheapest Borkum at just about $7 at my local tobacco shop, this was a huge bargain, and I could not resist. I was able to scrape together enough for 20 pouches, with shipping, for less than $25, and my online purchase was done.
Tonight (well early this morning) I found this site, this forum, and this posting about the Free Pipe Project, and I could not resist joining in. I am interested in the possibility of building pipes, repairing pipes, growing my own tobacco, and who knows from there! Let the adventure begin! First, I think I will go out, and have a nice smoke!!
Cheers!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Thanks for the heads up nutcracker. As for you other fellows I will add you to the list Please try and be an active part of this community and when I have piipes free I will contact you with details.

ghoststone

Lurker
Sep 14, 2015
Since I began taking my pipe to work, two others have purchased pipes. It has been fun sharing different blends.

bbc417

Lurker
Oct 2, 2015
Wow- what an awesome idea, Shaintiques! Ive recently started smoking a pipe this september... its cool to see more experienced pipe smokers helping us "newbies". -Brett

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
Great work you're doing here. I'd love to throw my name in the hat. I have a MM country gentleman and a estate Wessex bent billiard. Love Escudo Navy De Luxe so far. Now if I can just slow down my smoking!

omar

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
ive started smoking a pipe early this year ,after years of admiring just pictures . i got my Savinelli from a gift store in my country , and its been a blast till now smoking it and enjoying the few fine blends i got . unfotunately, the pipe smoking field is dead in my country and there is no real stores in the business . a Savinelli was the best i found . i know its a fine pipe for a beginner .but ,i really wanna get in the hobby and have a collection that i could pass to others and maybe increase the pipe lovers here in Egypt . i was going to make an order online with a couple of pipes and some highly reccomended blends . but , the cost of shipping was expensive and most sites didnt ship overseas and africa , so i backed off .

ive been adviced by some great friendly members here to contact this forum for help . although its hard to ask something for free . but this project is just amazing and beyond generous .

id really appreciate help !!

thanks

omar

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
This is a great gesture of kindness from all involved. I just recently started smoking a pipe again and I really enjoy my time on this forum; and the great people I have met here. I have a cob, a Roma billiard, a kaywoodie 01, and 2 more kaywoodies on the way. I don't need any pipes, so please don't put me on the list, I just wanted to post in support of all of you that are helping out.

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
This is absolutely the best project when it comes to pipe smoking i have seen in my entire life. If i could i would kiss you this instant (don't misunderstand, i'm not gay, only serbian, that's what we do :D ). As much as it's tempting, i will resist to ask for a pipe, since i have couple of Pete's, one meer, one gourd bash and a couple of gourd bashes i'm making by myself in my rotation now. Not too many, but enough for me. Pipe smoking is a beautiful hobby and a passion, and i'm happy to see this kind of encouragment for newcomers that still don't have enough pipes. This is an expensive hobby, especially at the start, its not so cheap to get starting number of pipes for cosy smoking.

Cheers, mate! Good luck with this project!

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I am new to this forum and to pipe smoking, and I have to say that this is an amazing show of community. I will not put my name in for anything free, simply wanted to say that what you are all doing is truly amazing.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Just to share... I gave a Dunhill pipe to a fellow forum member. It wasn't a flawless specimen but I nice pipe that smoked just beautifully. A few days later I saw it for sale on eBay. I asked him about it and told him it was his pipe to do with as he wished, sell it or keep it. He took it off the market and was embarrassed. I haven't given a pipe since :(

joshb

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2015
Just started really smoking a pipe. A friend gave me a Kaywoodie Standard 07C a while back. It needs a big cleaning and care but its very enjoyable and i enjoy a good project. Already find myself looking for supplies and different styles. Seems like a good community round here.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
To nate, that is one sad story my friend,some people don't know how to vale something that is given to them, especially a pipe, when u give someone a gift like that it simbolizes friendship, or as a token of appreciation, to some people they only think about the money and forget about the memories or the sentimental values of the pipes, but I am planning to pass mines to my kids or someone that can use the pipes for good use when I pass away, I have only started too and I'm using my mm cob till the wheels fall off, and to the free pipes project add me to this list because I can shure use a briar pipe, I do need one for money is tight right now and I will be thankful for one

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Nate, I know about the above donation and actually held that pipe in my hands. The person you donated to is a close friend of mine and he sent it for me to inspect and give him feedback on. The pipe you sent may have been a good smoker, but cosmetically it had a really big crack and even though it was a Dunhill I wouldn't have sent it out to anyone in the project in that condition. I'm not knocking your generosity but if you had sent it to the project I probably would have sold it and bought something that was physically sound to send out. That being said, you said it was his to do with as he pleased, if that is true, why call him out on selling it, and why hesitate to give to others again? I personally was given a large valuable pipe collection by a family member. And though I would love to keep all of those pipes if times get tough I may have to sell them. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate them or the giver. Just some things to keep in mind guys.

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
I would love to get a Dunhill, though..... Or Satou.... For those two it would be really hard for me to resist... With a lot of shame, i must say those i wouldn't be able to refuse... So, if you have a Dunhill or Satou, please PM me (even though i'm quite satisfied with my pipe rack for the time being). :D

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Nate, I am sorry for hearing that. I was waiting actually a rude answer from him like "So what? I am selling it." I think if he was embarrassed and cancelled the trade, he would not have wanted you to see that. Maybe he needed some money or maybe as Nate said he wanted to buy another pipe(s). So don't be disappointed my friend. At the end, you contributed to the community.
Dave, it is not my business at all, however I feel like your friend at least could have warned Nate about the crack and so Nate would have known about it in advance. Anyway, I don't think he did it on purpose. Pipe smokers are always good people :)
Regarding the Free Pipe Project; I have few pipes (4 MM corncobs, 2 briars and 1 clay pipe), for now they are enough for me as I am not smoking everyday. However it is really difficult to obtain tobacco here except Captain Black and Erinmore. So I asked Dave for some tobacco only and he has already shipped me few tins, I will be receiving them in a week or so. I will be sharing the photos for sure whenever I receive that lovely gift. There are also 2 friends of mine who smoke pipe, I just cannot imagine their faces when they see the baccy. I cannot thank you enough Dave. I will be paying back and contributing to the project in the future for sure.
There is also another issue that I would like to emphasize; I was reading the whole thread and I realized that most of the members (not all of them) receiving pipes and tobacco are not actively participating in the forums. I know that everyone is busy, has his/her own things to do however it seems to be like receiving a pipe and running away. I don't blame anyone, please don't get me wrong. I think that Dave may feel a little bit ashamed because he is the one doing the job, that's why I wanted to jump in. Please join the party folks. Cheers.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
I do agree that shaintiques has done a marvelous job in his generosity and almost every one in this forum has treated me like friend, I do understand nate and I have read shaitiques side of the story, and I do hear him out, in the issue that tough times might come and might have to sell some of our valuable things, all in all we all have two things in common and that is to eventually have a decent collection of pipes and the smoking of fine pipe tobbaco.

Status
Not open for further replies.