Floral Pipe Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I wish we could get to see people's faces when they smoke a Lakeland for the first time.
The floral I think of as a part of the natural cigar notes... isn't exactly even close to the grandma's decorative soap smells of floral that lakelands have. Ennerdale is ok... but still in the old lady perfume range.

Reactions: Merton

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I wish we could get to see people's faces when they smoke a Lakeland for the first time.
The floral I think of as a part of the natural cigar notes... isn't exactly even close to the grandma's decorative soap smells of floral that lakelands have. Ennerdale is ok... but still in the old lady perfume range.
I have to try a Lakeland but thats one Im scared of the way people talk about it. It might be the floral punch I'm looking for, but Im smoking it in a cob. Even if I like it I'll prob only smoke it in a cob as to not taint my Briars incase I divorce it later.

Reactions: Briar Tuck
I have to try a Lakeland but thats one Im scared of the way people talk about it. It might be the floral punch I'm looking for, but Im smoking it in a cob. Even if I like it I'll prob only smoke it in a cob as to not taint my Briars incase I divorce it later.
For a few years after I first tried one, I couldn't get the look of disgust off of my face just thinking of it. What man wants to smoke women's perfumes?
Then, after trying some of the hardcore "kick your ass" blends, like Dark Flake unscented and some of the pigtail coin blends... they grew on me. They take on a cosmopolitan taste. I still am not a fan of too much rose geranium. It's just too much grandma for me.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I don’t like floral almost entirely across the board. Savinelli 140th had a hint of it when fresh, and it’s disappeared with time thankfully, but blends like St. Bruno and Stonehenge flake were just floral for me. The St. Bruno was a 2018 tin, I didn’t even finish the bowl and discarded the tin.
I'm just getting a little Grousemoor "light" out of the 140th, which I like and not floral to me, but that's me, so both of those might be candidates as suggested above.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
To me, Ennerdale is a great introduction to Lakeland blends. I don’t LOVE the scenting, but I do enjoy it in small doses. For that, Ennerdale and the slightly heavier Kendal Cream Flake are my go-tos.

For natural floral qualities, though, I think you either need Syrian latakia, which has delicate, sweet floral qualities unlike its Cypriot cousin, or a blend featuring specific orientals, such as Drama and Basma. Unfortunately, in my experience, Syrian that has aged will have lost the floral delicacy of its youth…and Syrian hasn’t been farmed for many years at this point, so aged is all you’ll be able to get. (I don’t know how much age is too much, if you’re wanting a floral Syrian. I can just tell you that I’m currently smoking a 2008 tin that featured Syrian, and the blend’s personality has changed dramatically. To my palate, the Syrian is now indistinguishable from Cypriot latakia.)

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
To me, Ennerdale is a great introduction to Lakeland blends. I don’t LOVE the scenting, but I do enjoy it in small doses. For that, Ennerdale and the slightly heavier Kendal Cream Flake are my go-tos.

For natural floral qualities, though, I think you either need Syrian latakia, which has delicate, sweet floral qualities unlike its Cypriot cousin, or a blend featuring specific orientals, such as Drama and Basma. Unfortunately, in my experience, Syrian that has aged will have lost the floral delicacy of its youth…and Syrian hasn’t been farmed for many years at this point, so aged is all you’ll be able to get. (I don’t know how much age is too much, if you’re wanting a floral Syrian. I can just tell you that I’m currently smoking a 2008 tin that featured Syrian, and the blend’s personality has changed dramatically. To my palate, the Syrian is now indistinguishable from Cypriot latakia.)
Thank you, a lot of good info here.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
That's interesting. You fill your pipe with Kentucky Fried Chicken? Original recipe or barbeque? Probably barbeque for the smokiness. How do you prepare the chicken before loading up a bowlful? Shredded or cube cut? Do you dry it before packing or is it straight from the bucket? Gravity feed? Do you tamp the chicken?

Also, Latakia Kentucky Fried Chicken is a new on on me. Next time I pass a Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet I'll have to look into that.
Extra crispy is the only way to KFC. I bet @TheIronMonkey has a sample tin.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I suspect that Peretti's No Name has a floral note, just from reading about it, but I haven't tried it yet. Floral notes in a pipe tobacco in my experience are quite off-putting at first, but then I get used to them, then I end up craving them. I think it has to do with brain damage of some sort.
It has a major floral note. It is, however, a burley base. Peretti ofiginal is similar. Come to think of it Peretti Thanksgiving Day , while mostly burley, may well be the epitome of fruit and floral.

Reactions: sjohnston0311

sjohnston0311

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
I suspect that Peretti's No Name has a floral note, just from reading about it, but I haven't tried it yet. Floral notes in a pipe tobacco in my experience are quite off-putting at first, but then I get used to them, then I end up craving them. I think it has to do with brain damage of some sort.

I've smoked No Name and your suspicions are correct. Very floral. I believe their "Original Mixture" has the same floral topping, but applied more lightly, though I haven't gotten around to trying that one yet.

Reactions: Coreios

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Floral isn’t very descriptive, there are a lot of various leaf/blends with floral notes, it really depends on what sort of floral you’re looking for.

As example, there is Lakeland floral, VA/VaPer floral, Orientals floral, Aromatic florals, etc...

Try to be more specific. ;)

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Floral isn’t very descriptive, there are a lot of various leaf/blends with floral notes, it really depends on what sort of floral you’re looking for.

As example, there is Lakeland floral, VA/VaPer floral, Orientals floral, Aromatic florals, etc...

Try to be more specific. ;)
I realized that shortly after my post but couldn't edit it lol. Occasionally I've had a cigar (natural not infused or flavored) that had a slight floral note for a moment usually short lived. I want more of that but maybe not like youre thinking. I also liked the KFC cigar its smokey but Latakia is off the charts smokey I love Latakia. Even though I don't smoke infused or flavored cigars I'm fine with an aro blast of perfume or cologne flowers to the face pipe tobacco. And the reason I don't smoke infused cigars is they usually have an artificial sugar tip that I hate, and the flavor is chemically. With pipes though Ill smoke everything I don't care if its aro or natural topped doesnt matter. I want a blast to the face of cologne. At least I think I do lol, heard horror stories about these kind of pipe blends. I may regret this lol I already plan to smoke it in a cob lol. Descripted as I can be. lol

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
As for Cigar floral notes, maybe consider one of the Tabac Manil.

For something different get a tin of Samuel Gawith Grousemoor;

Keep an eye out for KBV Sakura;

Gawith Ennerdale;