PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
First I've heard of them...some very cool pipes. Which one did you fellows order? The Serenity, Exotic and Gondor caught my eye. I'm seeing a couple of these pipes in my near future. :puffy:

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I ordered the Caramel Coffee Pipe Maple with my last name in Hobbit Runes.

Now if I could only get some Hobbit's weed from Tewkesbury I'd be all set!! (they don't ship to Canada :( )
Mark

May 4, 2015
Is it true that Hobbit's weed is 1Q Mixed with Very Cherry? I forget where I heard that - or something similar

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I posted pictures in this thread.
Pictures in this thread too.
When I was thinking about ordering one of these pipes, that is the thread that put me over the edge!!!!!!

Maybe someone here that has some Hobbit's Weed could chime in over the mixture.

I already have some 1Q here...............
Mark

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Is it true that Hobbit's weed is 1Q Mixed with Very Cherry? I forget where I heard that - or something similar
Tewkesbury & Co. here in Denver is the company that makes Hobbit's Weed (and yet, I still haven't made it downtown to buy any - I may have to correct that this weekend...). Here's what they have to say about it (from their website):
"Our "almost legendary" full-flavored blend starts with fire-cured dark and gold Cavendish. Then we add a thread of mild cherry and a dash of vanilla for a semi-sweet, pleasant, slow-burning smoke. One of the best-loved and best-reviewed pipe tobaccos in the world."
So yeah, I can see how a Cavendish-based vanilla aro (1Q) and a cherry-based aro (Very Cherry does have Black Cavendish, though it's also got Virginias and Burley, according to the ad copy) could be combined to create a similar blend. And it's entirely possible that, like so many other tobacconists, Tewkesbury uses existing commercial blends and 'remixes' them to create their store versions - but they've evidently been doing this one for 40 years now, so I'll give them credit for consistency. :D

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Hey, all! Let me give you an update, so as to avoid disappointment.
The first smoke from my Hobbit pipe was cool and dry. I used (as per the instructions) only a tiny bit of tobacco. After that, though, it got real nasty!
At which point I remembered stanlaurel saying that he didn't like his much at the very beginning, either. That gave me the confidence to continue smoking it once a day, and it's starting to come around.
I don't know exactly what the issue is. It's almost like moisture was trapped in the wood, being released into the smoke. Yeah, I know that's unlikely, but that's what it FELT like. Starting with my second smoke, I got mouthfuls of hot, stinky steam! Kinda like the one Dr. Grabo I broke in.
Anyway, it's getting good now, but I hadn't posted since mentioning how wonderful my first smoke was.
You all may have better luck than I did, but don't give up if the break in is a little rough.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
My pipe finally arrived!!! It looks great with my last name in Hobbit Runes.

It looks like it spent a couple of days at the customs office but the package was unopened.

I've only had 1 smoke and it was cool and dry but you could taste the wood it is made out of. I imagine it will get better the more I smoke it.

Rob, did you only fill a third of a bowl for the first 12 smokes like the instructions say?

I'll get some pics together in the next couple of days.
Mark

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Oh and thanks Booker for the heads up about the Middle Earth Pipeweed Series. I may have to order some of that.
For now I am mixing 1Q with Captain Black Red Sky. I did a 50/50 mix and it was good, I could taste both the cherry and the 1Q and then tried 75/25 1Q/Cherry and lost the cherry flavour so back to the 50/50 mix.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.