PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I bought this Gondor pipe from flogglewerks a few months back. It only cost $35. I thought it looked interesting so I thought I would give it a try.

gondor-pipe-437x600.jpg

It fits nicely in the hand.

gondor2-600x450.jpg

And it is comfortable to smoke.

gondor1-600x450.jpg

It is made of Oregon Myrtlewood. I have now smoked 8 bowls of ODF through it. I was starting to lean towards not liking it. It really centered around the fact that I could not taste much besides the maple stem. I had built up a thin cake and the bowl seemed seasoned but I did not want to feel like I had a block of wood in my mouth.
Last Saturday, everything changed. I packed a single rubbed out and dried flake of ODF. The maple taste was finally gone. I hope that the first 7 bowls were the break-in period and that now I can just taste tobacco. It was a great Saturday afternoon smoke and I am hoping for many more. I also got a "dwarf barrel" tamper with it.

gondor3-600x450.jpg

Also made of Myrtlewood.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
That is so cool!
Their website has a lot of really neat pipes. I like an unstained hardwood pipe, and the Tolkien reference just makes 'em better.
But I do not need another pipe right now. Not gonna do it. Nope. I've got some willpower. Watch me NOT place an order...
Damn!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
My grandfather's business was working with myrtlewood, but I'm pretty sure he never made a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.