PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I started off on cappuccino as my morning drink in Italy, but switched to Machiatti after I realized they were like the perfect amount of milk for me. Finding a decent machiatto here stateside has been a chore. Peets makes a pretty good cappuccino, but put too much milk in their version of a macchiato. I do like the espresso they use and just bought a half pound to try in the moka pot. Not bad at all, IMO.
Peets' cappuccino are usually actually lattes. If you get too much dairy in your macchiato, have them remake it....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm still stuck on a stove-top percolator pot. I like an espresso, but I don't need to make them at home. The stove-top pot gives a simple essential beverage with layers of flavor. When I extolled this on Forums years ago, one of the members asked: "Dad, is that you?"

I'm still stuck on a stove-top percolator pot. I like an espresso, but I don't need to make them at home. The stove-top pot gives a simple essential beverage with layers of flavor. When I extolled this on Forums years ago, one of the members asked: "Dad, is that you?"
More importantly is your choice of beans..

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Peets' cappuccino are usually actually lattes. If you get too much dairy in your macchiato, have them remake it....
I used to get good ones at the Peets near where I worked in San Francisco. Nice and lightweight, frothy, without too much steamed milk... But I bet it really depends on the location and who is making them. I suspect they might get complaints about good ones, people yelling about how it doesn't even come close to filling a small cup :LOL: I'd heard the best way to order them at Starbucks was to order a short for that very reason, though I have and found them to be just alright. I'm not super picky and can tolerate a lot, but at the same time, if they're not what I want, I just stop wasting my time trying to get it. Like with the Machiattos from Peets.... A cup of drip coffee or straight espresso is harder to screw up and cheaper as well, so I often just go for that.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I used to get good ones at the Peets near where I worked in San Francisco. Nice and lightweight, frothy, without too much steamed milk... But I bet it really depends on the location and who is making them. I suspect they might get complaints about good ones, people yelling about how it doesn't even come close to filling a small cup :LOL: I'd heard the best way to order them at Starbucks was to order a short for that very reason, though I have and found them to be just alright. I'm not super picky and can tolerate a lot, but at the same time, if they're not what I want, I just stop wasting my time trying to get it. Like with the Machiattos from Peets.... A cup of drip coffee or straight espresso is harder to screw up and cheaper as well, so I often just go for that.
Here in Australia we have something called a 'long macchiato' which is a double shot of espresso with a fair bit of frothed milk, enough to fill a small glass. I tend to order my macchiato 'traditional', which is a double shot with about a teaspoon of milk froth or I specify how much froth I want, for example 'half topped up'.

We have our own coffee naming here as well:
Short black = espresso
Long black = Americano
Latte = single shot with milk froth in a glass
Flat white = latte in a flat wide cup instead of a glass or mug, the milk is typically less frothed in the flat white.
Then there are the long macchiato, the short macchiato and the traditional macchiato. And the cappuccino of course.

0_82fhQJwnOo9ux7MM.jpeg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I don't think you have any other way to approach what you love other than critically. Cigars seem to be your special love, and critically, oh yeah! which is a good thing, because soon you're going to be the NYT special reviewer and charging them 100s, no thousands for your reviews!!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I don't think you have any other way to approach what you love other than critically. Cigars seem to be your special love, and critically, oh yeah! which is a good thing, because soon you're going to be the NYT special reviewer and charging them 100s, no thousands for your reviews!!
Oh, I'll charge them plenty, and then they'll wonder who is this strange person who keeps sending invoices along with hand scribbled notes about the cigars he has been smoking :LOL:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here in Australia we have something called a 'long macchiato' which is a double shot of espresso with a fair bit of frothed milk, enough to fill a small glass. I tend to order my macchiato 'traditional', which is a double shot with about a teaspoon of milk froth or I specify how much froth I want, for example 'half topped up'.
<< Snipped bits out >>
The long macchiato sounds very much like a double shot cappuccino!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Alright, I placed an order for the Flair Neo yesterday. I hope it works out.

Anyone have any bean or roaster suggestions? So far I have tried Intelligensia Black Cat, Peets Espresso Forte, Illy Classico, and Cafe Bustelo, all in the moka pot. I haven't been able to get the Black Cat to brew very well in the moka, and don't particularly enjoy what I have gotten, but will give it a try on the Flair before writing it off. The Illy and Peets have both been nice, and I enjoy the Bustelo when I want something bracingly strong and fortified. I have mentioned before, but it was Italian espresso that got me into it, so I am very much not opposed to Arabica/Robusta blends, which I understand are pretty common over there. I expect to try some of the Lavazza blends (Super Crema, Gran Espresso, etc.) eventually, but otherwise could use some help.

I really appreciate all the help and info in this thread!

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC

Anyone have any bean or roaster suggestions? So far I have tried Intelligensia Black Cat, Peets Espresso Forte, Illy Classico, and Cafe Bustelo, all in the moka pot. I haven't been able to get the Black Cat to brew very well in the moka, and don't particularly enjoy what I have gotten, but will give it a try on the Flair before writing it off. The Illy and Peets have both been nice, and I enjoy the Bustelo when I want something bracingly strong and fortified. I have mentioned before, but it was Italian espresso that got me into it, so I am very much not opposed to Arabica/Robusta blends, which I understand are pretty common over there. I expect to try some of the Lavazza blends (Super Crema, Gran Espresso, etc.) eventually, but otherwise could use some help.

Let us know how it works out! Congrats!

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
The long macchiato sounds very much like a double shot cappuccino!
The long mac vs the traditional macchiato looks a bit like this with the long mac shown on the right and the traditional on the left.

I like my traditional macchiato with even less milk froth than shown here, essentially a double shot espresso with only a dash of froth. Macchiato means 'stained' in Italian.

macciato_1400x.progressive.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
The long mac vs the traditional macchiato looks a bit like this with the long mac shown on the right and the traditional on the left.

I like my traditional macchiato with even less milk froth than shown here, essentially a double shot espresso with only a dash of froth. Macchiato means 'stained' in Italian.

View attachment 80729
Yeah, the one on the left looks like the ones I got in Italy, but can't say for sure, because I don't recall being served any in clear glasses over there. Both of these look delicious as hell, though!

Living in the bay area, there are literally dozens of boutique roasters all around you.

Top of my list is:

1. SloJoy in Oakland
  2. Wreckingball, In The City (SFO)
  3. Red Bay in Oakland
  4. Andytown about 40th and Taraval is the mother ship but they have a couple other locations in The City
  5. Dana Street Roasters in Mountain View
  6. Coupa Cafe at the GSB (ahh, memories.... puffy)

Reactions: danimalia

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Living in the bay area, there are literally dozens of boutique roasters all around you.

Top of my list is:

1. SloJoy in Oakland
  2. Wreckingball, In The City (SFO)
  3. Red Bay in Oakland
  4. Andytown about 40th and Taraval is the mother ship but they have a couple other locations in The City
  5. Dana Street Roasters in Mountain View
  6. Coupa Cafe at the GSB (ahh, memories.... puffy)
I can highly recommend numbers two and four because I am acquainted with them. In San Francisco, I can highly recommend Linea roasters as well. Coupa café? Or I had too many so-so coffees there while we’re rushing to and from meetings. But there is some sentimental value there of course.

Coupa café? Or I had too many so-so coffees there while we’re rushing to and from meetings. But there is some sentimental value there of course.
It's mainly the memories that are fond now, but not then. It was like the only nurturing thing on that campus was a 12 ounce cup of coffee from Coupa Cafe....

And the Green library after 11pm..... puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.