PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My oft-repeated homespun advice to new pipe smokers on blends: for the first several years, sample widely in small quantities. Don't buy more than an ounce or two bulk, one tin, or a pouch, even if you like something a lot. Your taste will change. What you don't like, jar and try it again in a year or two.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thank you for the link. I am glad the jars are labeled with names. It doesn't look like many folks gave this one favorable reviews. I did enjoy it though. The next day I smoked a different one and I think it was called autumn evening? I should google that one too and see what I can learn about it.
Although I do read many of the opinions at TobaccoReviews, there's one reviewer that I pay particular attention to; JimInks who gives one a very good idea of what to expect.

Jim gives Fox and Hound 3/4 stars.
Fox and Hound sounds like a blend I'd rather like - a nice mix of Burley, Virginia, Perique, Turkish/Oriental and Latakia with a light topping [Another mild 'crossover' blend you might like to try is Count Pulaski]
Poor reviews from others I take with a pinch of salt.

There's an element of snobbery in the pipe smoking community. Some pipe smokers who only smoke hard to get expensive blends look down on OTC and bulk blends.
Take Sutliff 1Q for example; a rather pleasant 'all day' type aromatic that's not the slightest bit goopy that some pipe smokers seem to hate with a vengeance.

Smoke what pleases you.
Take advantage of the bulk blends where one can order by the ounce.

Keep in mind that tastes change - I go through stages where I prefer non-aromatics then after I while I hanker for something a little sweeter. These days I like most genres and mix it up through the day - what you might not like today you might really enjoy down the road so just jar what doesn't immediately appeal and revisit later.

Dio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2020
My 1st pipe was a missouri corn cob and I ruined it during the first bowl, which was unsuccessful at all. Then I realized I need to watch some youtube.

Reactions: Manx

Briar Brother

Lurker
May 10, 2021
Long Island NY
Hi. I do think sometimes a bit of smoke gets to the lungs. I am hoping over time, I will get a good rhythm and balance. I really only plan at this point to do 1 bowl a day and that is if time allows. I appreciate the positive information that you shared. =)

When smoking a pipe, how can I avoid inhaling? Or to put it another way…how can I tell if I did inhale any smoke, is there a way to know? I quit cigarettes and cigars (smoked for 10 years) about 8 years ago. I am hoping to avoid or reduce any deleterious health effects to my mouth and lungs from smoking a pipe.

P.s. While smoking my first pipe today after 8 years, it was a surreal experience, using a Peterson Killarney (p-lip stem) and Owls Head (4noggins I believe…it’s the only tobacco that I cellared besides a couple of unopened tins). Since I am very new to pipe smoking and only have one tobacco on hand, I’m still trying to master the basics of smoking a pipe.

Reactions: Manx

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When smoking a pipe, how can I avoid inhaling? Or to put it another way…how can I tell if I did inhale any smoke, is there a way to know? I quit cigarettes and cigars (smoked for 10 years) about 8 years ago. I am hoping to avoid or reduce any deleterious health effects to my mouth and lungs from smoking a pipe.

P.s. While smoking my first pipe today after 8 years, it was a surreal experience, using a Peterson Killarney (p-lip stem) and Owls Head (4noggins I believe…it’s the only tobacco that I cellared besides a couple of unopened tins). Since I am very new to pipe smoking and only have one tobacco on hand, I’m still trying to master the basics of smoking a pipe.
it should be obvious. You should feel it in your throat if you inhale. It kind of feels wrong with a pipe.

Reactions: Manx and edger

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
My oft-repeated homespun advice to new pipe smokers on blends: for the first several years, sample widely in small quantities. Don't buy more than an ounce or two bulk, one tin, or a pouch, even if you like something a lot. Your taste will change. What you don't like, jar and try it again in a year or two.
Such good advice. In my particular case, I won't have to buy any tobacco for a long time. With the inherited pipes, I have two plastic bins full of tobacco. I have no idea how long this stays good if still in tins. I appears he wrote dates on the back. It seems like a big amount for one person but I am new to this so maybe this is a normal amount.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Welcome to the briar/tobacco enjoyers.
If unopened, the tins will be good for years. The dates on the back may be for information as to "aging" of the tobacco. Many of us have accumalated unopened tins and Canning jars of tobacco that we are aging. LOL
Enjoy your stash.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Welcome!
I've just recently returned and also started smoking a pipe in memory of my father. When I smoked before it was only 1 bowl a day, 2 to 3 max if I was feeling up to it, lol. Take it slow and sample all there is to sample out there. Its a fun journey!

Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sealed tins keep quite well as a rule, unless they develop leaks, which most don't. Baggies of tobacco should be put in canning jars with good seals. Well tinned or jarred tobacco not only keeps but often improves with time, within limits. Virginia is the most famous for improving with age, and blends with Virginia, although burley is extremely durable, though it may not improve as much. So your tobacco stash should be fine, and there's no hurry in using it. Two plastic bins suggests your dad was a devoted pipe smoker, but not the most prolific of tobacco blend collectors. I've seen photos of Forums members cabinets that have more tins of more blends than a well-stocked pipe shop.

Reactions: JOHN72

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
Sounds like great advice! Thanks!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi Manx,

A very warm welcome to the Forums from Sydney, Oz.

Lots of good advice already, which I won't repeat except to say that I don't ever smoke a pipe (or cigar) "on the run".

Sitting down allows you to smoke at a slower cadence which leads to a much more pleasant and tasting smoke. And "forces" you to relax.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Welcome! Sometimes I think a distraction while smoking is good for the experience. Something that feels easy, that you don't have to think about too much. Whittling, solitaire, lazy strumming on a uke etc. Just something you can do in a kind of passive mindset where you split your attention between the 2 activities without interrupting the relaxing concept of things. Everyone is different, some of my best smokes are 1s where I go back, and forth between did I hit that chord right, and it looks like I need a relight. All the best, enjoy!

Reactions: JOHN72 and OzPiper