PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Late afternoon on the screened porch after a rain

I am new here but I have been reading through posts for pointers on how to begin. Yesterday I finally had time to unwind
and enjoy the process. I inherited a selection of pipes and tobacco from my father. I knew almost nothing about pipe brands
or tobacco flavors. How do I pick a pipe out of this selection? I went for a pipe that appeared to have been used a moderate
amount and when searched seemed to not be expensive. Next to pick a tobacco. I ignored the tins and concentrated on the ones
in jars since I could smell them easily. I figured if I liked the smell, it would hopefully translate into a good taste.

I smoked cigarettes for a long time but I stopped smoking them 5 years ago. I was uncertain how difficult it would be to not
inhale. I experimented with different puffing techniques. I had a handful of what I considered to be successful puffs which
seemed to involve my nose. The combination of smell and taste together definitely enhanced the experience. Unfortunately, I have
no idea yet what I do to make that happen on command. Overall, it was a relaxing smoke and I took it slow. I enjoyed the flavor
of the tobacco I selected though I can't speak on it's characteristics in an educated way. I look forward to trying some of the
types in the near future. I still have much to learn so I am glad I found this forum.
If the label on the jar is accurate to its contents, this was most likely your first smoke. Tobacco Reviews | Sutliff Tobacco Company - Tobacco Galleria - Fox & Hound - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2212/sutliff-tobacco-company-tobacco-galleria-fox-hound

Reactions: Manx and BROBS

boatme99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Somewhere in this vast universe
Welcome Manx! Welcome to the world of pipes. Looks like you're off to a good start.
I restarted smoking again after about 45 years and quickly built a nice collection of 6 pipes to keep in rotation. I think the smoking part is quite relaxing, the purchasing part though, oh boy, that can certainly get you wound up! :LOL:

How about some pics of your pipes when you get a chance? Would love to see them.

Reactions: Manx and BROBS

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Sounds like you’re off to a good start. Once the pipe is burning just hold it in your mouth and let it naturally smoke as you breathe through your nose. Imagine you’re holding water in your mouth and you don’t want to swallow it, and your breathing air comes from the nose. Sort of use your gullet to draw without inhaling. Coming out through the nose is called a retrohale and that holds most the flavor.
Wait, that is almost completely different from what you wrote me when I first asked about smoking!!!

First, fill up the tub. Once the pipe is burning just hold it in your mouth and let it naturally smoke as you breathe through your nose. Imagine you’re holding water in your mouth. Now stick your head in the tub all the way in. That's it...just hold it there. Hold it there until you feel like you are going to pass out but fight it and keep your head in. That's right, hold it there until your lungs explode with an exhale and then an inhale until they are filled! Let the darkness slip over you...that's right...go gently into that good night. You aren't needed here any more little one.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome from Knik River, Alaska!

As others have said, it sounds like you're well on your way to enjoying the experience. Once you get your smoking cadence perfected it will become second nature and make things that much more enjoyable.

Cheers!

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
A journey of thousand miles begins with single step. Welcome and enjoy smoking your pipe. I have got my best practical information from my pipes whilst smoking them, and best theory adwice from this forum. Mixing them makes a fantastic cocktail, where you can sink into, slowly, happily, smoking... :)

Reactions: UncleRasta and Manx

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yep. Smoking, fly fishing, parallel parking, talking to old people, flipping eggs, etc.
or touch typing. The trick is realizing that it less "learning" and more conditioning through repetition. For example people who have can't make new memories can be trained to do certain skills. It's kind of fascinating to see it in action. That factoid might also help people not feel as frustrated with learning how to do certain things.

Reactions: Manx

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Hi and Welcome Manx.

SmokingPipes aka SPC around here has a wealth of information, be sure to dig around on their Daily Reader.

If you haven’t seen these before, these will help get you on your way! :)

As they say it’s not Rocket Science, much of it is neither right or wrong, much of it is just personal preferences, that you just find with time spent smoking, developing your own style.

Below is an article from Dr. Fred Hanna called;

The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking

This is a really great read! ?

This is an article SPC did on Fred Hanna.

Thank you for taking the time to post this resource! I look forward to diving into it.

Reactions: PipeIT

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Hello Manx. Welcome.

Pipe tobacco has no added chemicals like cigarettes so don't worry if you suck any of that sweet, sweet smoke down into your lungs. :)

A U.S. Surgeon Generals report found that pipe smokers who inhale have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker.

I switched from a 30-40 a day cigarette addiction to a pipe. Inhaling for me is part of the enjoyment but I choose mild blends with no more than mild nicotine.
Inhaling is not a big deal if you're smoking one or two bowls a day.
Hi. I do think sometimes a bit of smoke gets to the lungs. I am hoping over time, I will get a good rhythm and balance. I really only plan at this point to do 1 bowl a day and that is if time allows. I appreciate the positive information that you shared. =)

Reactions: chopper

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Thank you for the link. I am glad the jars are labeled with names. It doesn't look like many folks gave this one favorable reviews. I did enjoy it though. The next day I smoked a different one and I think it was called autumn evening? I should google that one too and see what I can learn about it.

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Welcome Manx! Welcome to the world of pipes. Looks like you're off to a good start.
I restarted smoking again after about 45 years and quickly built a nice collection of 6 pipes to keep in rotation. I think the smoking part is quite relaxing, the purchasing part though, oh boy, that can certainly get you wound up! :LOL:

How about some pics of your pipes when you get a chance? Would love to see them.
Yes, I can see how this hobby can require a number of items to get started. At this point, I haven't needed to acquire anything yet. It is a pretty hefty starter kit. There are quite a few pipes so it may be awhile before I photograph them. Thanks for writing and it is nice to meet you.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Thank you for the link. I am glad the jars are labeled with names. It doesn't look like many folks gave this one favorable reviews. I did enjoy it though. The next day I smoked a different one and I think it was called autumn evening? I should google that one too and see what I can learn about it.
Cornell and Diehl Autumn evening is a very popular fall themed aromatic. Actually one of the few aromatics I enjoy because it has a good tobacco taste.

Reactions: edger

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi. I do think sometimes a bit of smoke gets to the lungs. I am hoping over time, I will get a good rhythm and balance. I really only plan at this point to do 1 bowl a day and that is if time allows. I appreciate the positive information that you shared. =)
some will just by being near a pipe but if you're not "intentionally" inhaling or in a small enclosed space or chain smoking a pipe it shouldn't be too bad.