PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Late afternoon on the screened porch after a rain

I am new here but I have been reading through posts for pointers on how to begin. Yesterday I finally had time to unwind
and enjoy the process. I inherited a selection of pipes and tobacco from my father. I knew almost nothing about pipe brands
or tobacco flavors. How do I pick a pipe out of this selection? I went for a pipe that appeared to have been used a moderate
amount and when searched seemed to not be expensive. Next to pick a tobacco. I ignored the tins and concentrated on the ones
in jars since I could smell them easily. I figured if I liked the smell, it would hopefully translate into a good taste.

I smoked cigarettes for a long time but I stopped smoking them 5 years ago. I was uncertain how difficult it would be to not
inhale. I experimented with different puffing techniques. I had a handful of what I considered to be successful puffs which
seemed to involve my nose. The combination of smell and taste together definitely enhanced the experience. Unfortunately, I have
no idea yet what I do to make that happen on command. Overall, it was a relaxing smoke and I took it slow. I enjoyed the flavor
of the tobacco I selected though I can't speak on it's characteristics in an educated way. I look forward to trying some of the
types in the near future. I still have much to learn so I am glad I found this forum.

Attachments

• Attachment-1 (5).jpeg
    Attachment-1 (5).jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 74

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

I am new here but I have been reading through posts for pointers on how to begin. Yesterday I finally had time to unwind
and enjoy the process. I inherited a selection of pipes and tobacco from my father. I knew almost nothing about pipe brands
or tobacco flavors. How do I pick a pipe out of this selection? I went for a pipe that appeared to have been used a moderate
amount and when searched seemed to not be expensive. Next to pick a tobacco. I ignored the tins and concentrated on the ones
in jars since I could smell them easily. I figured if I liked the smell, it would hopefully translate into a good taste.

I smoked cigarettes for a long time but I stopped smoking them 5 years ago. I was uncertain how difficult it would be to not
inhale. I experimented with different puffing techniques. I had a handful of what I considered to be successful puffs which
seemed to involve my nose. The combination of smell and taste together definitely enhanced the experience. Unfortunately, I have
no idea yet what I do to make that happen on command. Overall, it was a relaxing smoke and I took it slow. I enjoyed the flavor
of the tobacco I selected though I can't speak on it's characteristics in an educated way. I look forward to trying some of the
types in the near future. I still have much to learn so I am glad I found this forum.
Sounds like you’re off to a good start. Once the pipe is burning just hold it in your mouth and let it naturally smoke as you breathe through your nose. Imagine you’re holding water in your mouth and you don’t want to swallow it, and your breathing air comes from the nose. Sort of use your gullet to draw without inhaling. Coming out through the nose is called a retrohale and that holds most the flavor.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Like the others have said, you’ve got a great start and the right approach. Don’t sweat it too much, just enjoy the learning experience and the rest will evolve and become clearer as time goes on. BROBS nailed the method. Slow, easy puffs, not giant clouds

A bunch of us here have enjoyed pipes and tobacco for so long that we discuss minutiae all the time that, in the grand scheme of things, really isn’t anything for a new smoker to worry about and, truth be told, isn’t anything we should be worried about either, but it’s fun to discuss.

And while I’m sure the pipes you inherited hold a lot of sentimental value since they were your dad’s, and they may be valuable, don’t be afraid to use them. You won’t ruin them by smoking them ( he didn’t) unless you light them with a torch or something ?. Besides, pipes can be refurbished if they get dirty or caked up. I felt the same way about the fishing gear I inherited from my dad when he passed, but eventually I realized that he’d want me to use and enjoy the stuff just like he did.

And at the end of the day, if you’re enjoying the smoke, you’re doing it right!

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

sounds like you're off to a very solid start. Just keep going and it should progress natural.

Reactions: Manx and BROBS

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Sounds like you’re off to a good start. Once the pipe is burning just hold it in your mouth and let it naturally smoke as you breathe through your nose. Imagine you’re holding water in your mouth and you don’t want to swallow it, and your breathing air comes from the nose. Sort of use your gullet to draw without inhaling. Coming out through the nose is called a retrohale and that holds most the flavor.
Very well described. I had another late afternoon smoke today and I was thinking about what you said. I do think it gave me additional time in my smoke where I was tasting more of the flavor. Thank you.

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Like the others have said, you’ve got a great start and the right approach. Don’t sweat it too much, just enjoy the learning experience and the rest will evolve and become clearer as time goes on. BROBS nailed the method. Slow, easy puffs, not giant clouds

A bunch of us here have enjoyed pipes and tobacco for so long that we discuss minutiae all the time that, in the grand scheme of things, really isn’t anything for a new smoker to worry about and, truth be told, isn’t anything we should be worried about either, but it’s fun to discuss.

And while I’m sure the pipes you inherited hold a lot of sentimental value since they were your dad’s, and they may be valuable, don’t be afraid to use them. You won’t ruin them by smoking them ( he didn’t) unless you light them with a torch or something ?. Besides, pipes can be refurbished if they get dirty or caked up. I felt the same way about the fishing gear I inherited from my dad when he passed, but eventually I realized that he’d want me to use and enjoy the stuff just like he did.

And at the end of the day, if you’re enjoying the smoke, you’re doing it right!
Haha, light them with a torch!

Your words that your dad would want you to enjoy the fishing gear made a lot of sense. So today, I picked up the pipe that I am drawn to the most and no googling. I selected a different tobacco as well and I thoroughly enjoyed trying the new method described above. I think my favorite part besides the flavor is how nice it is to slow down and relax. I appreciate your help in improving my experience.

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I see you are in GA, but are your origins Isle of Man?
Hello edger,

I have lived in GA my whole life. My last name origin is English and is very close to your name used on this forum. I believe our tree also has some Irish as well as others. If this is in regards to the red hair, I color it. Shhh. Don't tell anyone. I tend to think it makes me look a touch less pale (haha) or maybe it doesn't. =)

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hi and Welcome Manx.

SmokingPipes aka SPC around here has a wealth of information, be sure to dig around on their Daily Reader.

If you haven’t seen these before, these will help get you on your way! :)

As they say it’s not Rocket Science, much of it is neither right or wrong, much of it is just personal preferences, that you just find with time spent smoking, developing your own style.

Below is an article from Dr. Fred Hanna called;

The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking

This is a really great read! ?

This is an article SPC did on Fred Hanna.

Last edited:

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Hello Manx. Welcome.

Pipe tobacco has no added chemicals like cigarettes so don't worry if you suck any of that sweet, sweet smoke down into your lungs. :)

A U.S. Surgeon Generals report found that pipe smokers who inhale have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker.

I switched from a 30-40 a day cigarette addiction to a pipe. Inhaling for me is part of the enjoyment but I choose mild blends with no more than mild nicotine.
Inhaling is not a big deal if you're smoking one or two bowls a day.

Reactions: Manx and anotherbob