PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
I am aware of Rustica tobacco, but have never tried it. I'm chicken! I've received an unpleasant buzz from smoking regular blends either too fast or in a room that was not well ventilated. I can just imagine what that stuff would do to me. cray

Reactions: Ben.R.C

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Well, I’m feeling it from just a group 3 sized bowl, not falling out or anything, but it’s strong stuff. I like the flavor also but not necessarily enough to buy more.

Reactions: kcghost

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've ordered a couple tins to put into my line-up. I'll try it down the road... better weather and all. Doesn't seem like what I'd enjoy when the heat hovers around 100F during the day.

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
One of my favorites is Bold Kentucky, so I was full of anticipation and anxiety to try "Rustica", potentially the more "wild" version. I took quite seriously the advice about " two flakes". Two flakes it is.
First impression: very cool and dry smoke, no bite, took just one relight. It's slightly monotonous (but pleasantly monotone/consistent), for me it has minerally, slightly leathery and earthy taste, not sweet, at the end of bowl getting brighter. Closest comparison, if you smoke Semois with a pinch of Bold Kentucky.
Side effects: no spinning, no sweat, no shakes or nausea, but...suddenly at the end of bowl, you recognize that the night is unusually quiet, and you are temporary granted the ability to see in the darkness and fly ;)
Big respect to Ember, who survived 4 (!!!) flakes, and forever respect to my fellow Eastern Europeans who were smoking and INHALING "Mahorka/Samosad" for a couple centuries.
Temptation: to add a tad of Perique, to see how it will enhance the main taste.
Great smoke puffy
The rustica tobacco is actually is easy to grow and easy to process. ;) get your gardening gloves on guys ;)

Reactions: Ahi Ka

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
A very satisfying read on how someone has had a healthy, proper smoke!

I have a high Nicotine tolerance too. I still haven't tried the Rustica blend yet and I wish so much to try it once! Alas, it's an Unobtainium here.
I grow some plants of Mapacho (which is the Rustica species) in my backyard. I sun cure it and sometimes add to excessively mild Virginia blends. Little goes a long way. The leaf appears to have little flavour impact other than the added Nicotine strength. I wonder how it works flavourwise in the Rustica blend.

Last edited: