PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Oh come on guys, what's the big deal? You're all loving your decaf coffee, right? This will be just as awesome. It shocks and saddens me that so many of you aren't grateful for Big Brother.

Forgive me for the meme but my wife texts me these from time to time for a chuckle:
1655988920310.png

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
You're all loving your decaf coffee, right?
I love it!

Used to drink caffeinated coffee since... forever.

On a lark, I decided to give it a kick because a part of me is a masochist -apparently- as I like to confront my hang-ups and vices on occasion to see if I still have willpower in good supply. Results vary.

It's a surprising and sometimes uncomfortable exercise, but if you're ever interested to see what you're genuinely attached to and why, cutting it out for a long period of time shines a very bright, informative light on it. My minimum is a month to get the full effect. Helps keep things fresh for me.

The change from caffeinated to non-caffeinated living was so amazing that I'll never go back. Ever. You just need to find good blends, which are absolutely out there. I was an absolute coffee snob! Really. I won't go into embarrassing detail.

The sleep I get without caffeine is amazing. I thought I was just getting old. The next day is full of energy from the start. Just wonderful.

Anyway, that's all to say that I would very much like to see (and probably really enjoy) nicotine free tobacco. I think it's an excellent idea. I'd be very interested to see how it makes me feel when compared to tobacco with nicotine.

I expect I would keep smoking, like Sable, for the pure enjoyment. I'd just like to experience that enjoyment without nicotine nudging me in certain directions or timings.

I know there's a good number of people here who claim to be super powered and are immune to nicotine, but I'm willing to bet a house that the majority of pipe/cigar/cigarette smokers are getting a fairly strong nudge from that chemical.

Wouldn't it be great to enjoy without that, on your own terms? Not asking the robots super humans... but rather those that have a normally functioning brain stem that lets in these signals from nicotine.

But, having the government force it down the chute is a whole other mozza ball, and I'm not supportive of that.

Mixed feelings on this one. Wish it was here already; too bad the government has other motives.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I love it!

On a lark, I decided to give it a kick because a part of me is a masochist -apparently- as I like to confront my hang-ups and vices on occasion to see if I still have willpower in good supply. Results vary.

It's a surprising and sometimes uncomfortable exercise, but if you're ever interested to see what you're genuinely attached to and why, cutting it out for a long period of time shines a very bright, informative light on it. My minimum is a month to get the full effect. Helps keep things fresh for me.

The change from caffeinated to non-caffeinated living was so amazing that I'll never go back. Ever. You just need to find good blends, which are absolutely out there. I was an absolute coffee snob! Really. I won't go into embarrassing detail.

The sleep I get without caffeine is amazing. I thought I was just getting old. The next day is full of energy from the start. Just wonderful.

Anyway, that's all to say that I would very much like to see (and probably really enjoy) nicotine free tobacco. I think it's an excellent idea. I'd be very interested to see how it makes me feel when compared to tobacco with nicotine.

I expect I would keep smoking, like Sable, for the pure enjoyment. I'd just like to experience that enjoyment without nicotine nudging me in certain directions or timings.

I know there's a good number of people here who claim to be super powered and are immune to nicotine, but I'm willing to bet a house that the majority of pipe/cigar/cigarette smokers are getting a fairly strong nudge from that chemical.

Wouldn't it be great to enjoy without that, on your own terms? Not asking the robots super humans... but rather those that have a normally functioning brain stem that lets in these signals from nicotine.

But, having the government force it down the chute is a whole other mozza ball, and I'm not supportive of that.

Mixed feelings on this one. Wish it was here already; too bad the government has other motives.
the thing that disturbs me most is the amount of processing and adulteration of the tobacco leaf that must happen to remove the nicotine. How could that possibly result in anything remotely smokeable, let alone enjoyable?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I love it!

I hear what you're saying and have done a few different stints of abstaining here and there to reset things. With coffee/caffein, I didn't try very hard to locate "good" decaf coffee and just went with what I found at the grocery store until I just realized I'd rather go without coffee at all. I used to be a morning til bed coffee drinker but I've since learned to just cut it off around noon and it's all good at bedtime, sleep-wise.

Tobacco? It's not something I'll need to deal with. My cellar will get me through and I just don't see where I'll even be curious to try nicotine lite blends. Having the choice taken away.....it's a brave new world.

Reactions: RobNYC and jpmcwjr
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I love it!

Iv been experimenting with my relationship to caffeine for the past 8-10 months myself, especially over the last 4 or so. Iv been doing a lot of tea (lower levels), herbal teas and decaf coffee. I limit myself to a single caffeinated cup per day if I do regular (Iv averaged 36-48 ounces of caffeinated coffee for years).

Confirmed it’s a very eye opening experience. No one knows their true relationship to caffeine until they cut it out. Caffeine addiction, for me, surpassed any nicotine response my body ever had, even when I cut a pack of lucky strikes per day habit many years ago. And we feed this substance freely to society of all ages. It’s pretty interesting to say the least.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
amount of processing and adulteration of the tobacco leaf that must happen
I'm guessing this is the tricky part. I would assume it can be done on the genetic level. If it's not already being done in the opposite direction, I would be surprised.

Hard to imagine a "water process" or similar getting rid of it. Tricky question. Would be wonderful if there's a simple answer.

I doubt we'd ever see it in pipe tobacco if it is involved. Maybe in heavily processed cigarettes, but pipe tobacco seems to be a different thing in processing, at least, if I trust the marketing and youtube videos.

cut it off around noon and it's all good at bedtime,
That's great if it's not messing with your rest. I tried having caffeinated coffee in the morning only, when no good decaf was around, but that's enough to tweak me at night.

Thought it was all in my head, but it's been confirmed by accident a couple of times.

If I could snap my fingers and have my whole stash of tobacco nicotine free right now, I would do it.

I'm quite sure I would smoke a lot less, but it would then fall more in line with other things that I very much enjoy. Or I'd just stop and not care, like my experiment with only eating plants. But then I wouldn't care. So why worry?

Nicotine free tobacco would be the golden ticket for me, which is why I wish this was already a thing, without the government demanding it.

Caffeine addiction, for me, surpassed any nicotine response my body ever had
Me too. I never gave it much thought for most of my life. I started drinking coffee quite young, so never knew anything different for the vast majority of my adult life. I think age and metabolism plays a big part as well. It seems to sneak up on you when you're young and sticks with you through older age, with diminishing returns that are maybe attributed to other things.

I just thought losing sleep was something that happened to old people. For me, and the friends of mine of similar age who have stopped, sleep is no longer an issue. I think health generally improves as well, with more reliable and sustained energy from sources that don't act like a nuclear bomb on my body.

The only people I know who complain about poor sleep are confirmed coffee drinkers. But it is something so many are very reluctant to stop doing. It CAN'T be the coffee!

I certainly inform my son about this kind of thing. I don't see that as the governments' job, but the lack of information available to the public about the negative aspects when compared to the marketing is just completely bonkers. It's a very tricky issue.

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
"
The FDA is poised to set a maximum nicotine level in cigarettes and some other tobacco products, looking to make them less addictive and wean smokers away from the habit. Despite an overall trend away from smoking, tobacco use remains the No. 1 cause of preventable deaths in the United States.

"Lowering nicotine levels to minimally addictive or non-addictive levels would decrease the likelihood that future generations of young people become addicted to cigarettes and help more currently addicted smokers to quit," FDA Commissioner Robert M. Califf said as the agency announced its plan.

Outlining the potential benefits, the FDA notes that 480,000 people die each year from disease attributed to smoking. Overall, it says, "tobacco use costs nearly $300 billion a year in direct health care and lost productivity."

The FDA plans to issue its proposed rule in May 2023.

The FDA wants to regulate nicotine for the first time : NPR

Make sense to me. I figure most of the member here are adults and can decide knowing the dangers. Not so much with young folks who might not understand the risks.
Not the leading cause of preventable deaths. CDC proposes another cause of death 50% higher than that.
I love it!

you could smoke Maple leaves if you didn’t need the nic. Could put topping on some wood chips. That option is already available.