PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wait a minute. Does that mean Malt Liquor is racist? And are oversized beer cans sold at liquor stores racist? And MAC Donald’s super sized fries, are they racist? Since when is a preference for a particular item that a group likes racist? Real question. And who decided? The people purchasing the products?
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Since the world went batshit crazy. Can't give you an exact date but it's been building for the last several years.

The social engineers...for divide and conquer purposes.

No.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
So, marketing a product to a particular group is racist if the product has a downside? BMWs, Mercedes, McMansion sized homes in once fertile farm fields miles from the city all create a measured harm to the environment and are mostly marketed to white people. But THAT isn’t deemed racist by the people who make the rules and in fact drive the above mentioned cars and live in those houses or if not in those homes they then gentrify inner city homes and drive up the prices for poor minorities who live in the city. But leave the poor city dwellers with menthol cigarettes and that’s a bridge too far. Jeez.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Wait a minute. Does that mean Malt Liquor is racist? And are oversized beer cans sold at liquor stores racist? And MAC Donald’s super sized fries, are they racist? Since when is a preference for a particular item that a group likes racist? Real question. And who decided? The people purchasing the products?

It’s more that menthol cigarettes were purposefully marketed to black people, so much so that today, 85% of black smokers smoke menthol while, and I don’t have a good source for this, something like 30% of white smokers do. Throughout the 60s menthols were advertised directly and purposefully at the African American crowd. They were hip. Different. Healthier. We know this because the tobacco industry admitted it.

I don’t think anyone, including the FDA is claiming it is or isn’t racist, but the fact stands that most black people who smoke, smoke menthols, and black males have the highest rate of lung cancer in the country.

How banning menthol will solve the issue, I don’t know. I think education would be better. If menthol didn’t exist, they would have just created a brand that resonated with the black community and promoted that to them.

telescopes

It’s more that menthol cigarettes were purposefully marketed to black people, so much so that today, 85% of black smokers smoke menthol while, and I don’t have a good source for this, something like 30% of white smokers do. Throughout the 60s menthols were advertised directly and purposefully at the African American crowd. They were hip. Different. Healthier. We know this because the tobacco industry admitted it.

I don’t think anyone, including the FDA is claiming it is or isn’t racist, but the fact stands that most black people who smoke, smoke menthols, and black males have the highest rate of lung cancer in the country.

How banning menthol will solve the issue, I don’t know. I think education would be better. If menthol didn’t exist, they would have just created a brand that resonated with the black community and promoted that to them.
Yes, I agree with everything you said. But that does not make it racist. Selling stupid ass white children soulless rape music full of misogyny and overtly racist infused lyrics isn’t promoting racism? But menthol cigarettes is crossing an ethnic line of morality - because, we think a group of people aren’t smart enough to know better?

by the way, I was told a week ago that enforcing SPELLING AND GRAMMAR was racist.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Yes, I agree with everything you said. But that does not make it racist. Selling stupid ass white children soulless rape music full of misogyny and overtly racist infused lyrics isn’t promoting racism? But menthol cigarettes is crossing an ethnic line of morality - because, we think a group of people aren’t smart enough to know better?

by the way, I was told a week ago that enforcing SPELLING AND GRAMMAR was racist.
If anything, I find the FDA banning menthol because...black people...is a bit patronizing and racist in itself.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

Regardless of the veracity of any of those statistics, which admittedly I have no idea of, this menthol cigarette issue isn't happening in a vacuum...it's happening within the context of the current lunacy where just about every and any issue you can think of is having racist and racial overtones artificially injected into them and painted over them.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I find the FDA banning menthol because...black people...is a bit patronizing and racist in itself.
Exactly...and that's the ugly overtone to so much of this BS. The real racists are the ones who are saying things like certain ethnic groups can't handle grammar or math so we have to dumb it down. That's one of the most racist things I've ever heard, and yet it's being peddled as anti-racism.

And yes, those are extreme examples, and I don't know how widespread it is, but it illustrates how insane all of this is getting. And here telescopes has first hand experience with it.

telescopes

Exactly...and that's the ugly overtone to so much of this BS. The real racists are the ones who are saying things like certain ethnic groups can't handle grammar or math so we have to dumb it down. That's one of the most racist things I've ever heard, and yet it's being peddled as anti-racism.

And yes, those are extreme examples, and I don't know how widespread it is, but it illustrates how insane all of this is getting. And here telescopes has first hand experience with it.
Very wide spread. I first had to deal with this concept in the 80s and 90s. I included some quick links anyone could find on the internet to demonstrate the point, but what you won't see or read about are the discussions we teachers have to deal with In our professional developments and endless workshops designed to "awake" us to our students' realities.

Look, I am rather progressive and liberal in most things - but not the way it is defined today - but rather in a more 3 dimensional manner. That is, I try to see things not just on the proverbial page, but above and below the page as well. And I am telling you, denying poor students access to a strong understanding of the spelling and grammar of the English language is a crime against those students. It ultimately pigeon holes them into a life of less choices, not more.

Example One

Example Two

Example Three

Example Four

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio

I agree.

I am the first to speak up and say that racism does still exist and there are things our society needs to address regarding it. Menthol cigarettes are not one of those things.

Spelling and grammar? Let’s maybe take a look at where our education money is going, and where it needs to go. Maybe some consideration is due to people who, through no fault of their own, we’re stuck in a shitty school, with shitty parents who didn’t care or were taught in the same bad school-but that consideration should be towards educating them further, not letting them be dumb. Math can fuck right off. Math is for nerds, anyway. Two plus two equals football.

Reactions: chopper and brian64

telescopes

Here's an actual conversation I had with some ten year olds earlier this week.

Student: My teachers told me you can't begin a sentence with the word because.

Me: You're teachers aren't very educated. Of course you can start a sentence with the word because.

What you can't do is leave a dependent clause hanging without an independent clause following it. Because is a subordinating conjunction and it is used to transition a dependent clause to an independent clause. For example, "Because I was feeling sick, I didn't go to school."

If you want, flip the dependent clause so it follows the independent clause, "I didn't go to school today because I was feeling sick."

(By the way, the real lesson is understanding why the first example requires a comma and the second one doesn't.)

I went on to show examples, but my point is, it is no wonder the state of grammar education is so poorly taught today that many teachers who simply don't understand grammar themselves are throwing in the towel and simply embracing the idea that maybe it would have been racist to have bothered to have learned it for themselves in the first place.

I am so glad I am retiring.

But I digress.

And for the record, you can also split infinitives and if you feel exceptionally daring, end a sentence with a preposition.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
That is, I try to see things not just on the proverbial page, but above and below the page as well. And I am telling you, denying poor students access to a strong understanding of the spelling and grammar of the English language is a crime against those students. It ultimately pigeon holes them into a life of less choices, not more

This is really well put, thank you.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Math can fuck right off. Math is for nerds, anyway. Two plus two equals football.
LOL ... yeah, I'm not exactly a math wiz either...but I really don't want to drive over bridges built by engineers who couldn't do math. Yes, engineering has recently been labeled racist, because these lunatics allege that whites are more naturally inclined to that field...so again, the proposed solution is to dumb it down. Now, again, not only is this a lie to begin with (that whites are inherently more adept at engineering) but it is also racist while pretending to be the opposite.

So, what is the long term result of producing incompetent engineers and semi-literate English majors (among other things)? A general degrading of society? You have to wonder if that isn't the actual purpose of all of this. After all, if you want to radically change things you have to tear down the existing structures first. But I suppose that would be conspiratorial, so it couldn't possibly be true, right? So the only conclusion is that the people advocating this type of stuff are insane.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Interesting comments to say the least. I like this...
“Thus liberty entails the responsible use of freedom under the rule of law without depriving anyone else of their freedom”.

Reactions: JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.