PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't see the FDA banning menthol cigarettes. I don't believe they have the juice. The tobacco lobby is huge and if they decide they are not going to allow a banning of menthol cigarettes, then that is what will happen. The FDA can pick on lots of people but the big tobacco is another world.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't see the FDA banning menthol cigarettes. I don't believe they have the juice. The tobacco lobby is huge and if they decide they are not going to allow a banning of menthol cigarettes, then that is what will happen. The FDA can pick on lots of people but the big tobacco is another world.
With menthols labeled racist now, they won't have much of a leg to stand on.?‍♂️

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
With menthols labeled racist now, they won't have much of a leg to stand on.
This IS a new angle and brings in a group of new allies and political clout. Now if this actually makes anything happen soon we’ll have to wait and see but there is momentum building across the political spectrum. Menthol aside it was the banning of ALL flavored tobacco that seems the larger issue.
Either way this is on the horizon and, as has been mentioned, it does seem to be more than a partisan issue.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Not sure there is anything racist about menthols as there are way more white people who smoke them than people of color. My live in caretaker smokes menthols and she is white. Not sure how that is racist.
Same reason fried chicken and watermelon supposdely is. Who DOESN'T like those things? But menthols (Newports in particular) some how got associated with the stereotyping of African-Americans a while ago and it stuck.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I first started smoking cigarettes I was a menthol guy and smoked Newports. I eventually switched to Marlboro Reds and smoked them for 30 odd years. They changed the blend on them one day and I couldn't smoke them. I switched to Camel Blue 99's and that is what I smoke today. I only smoke a few cigarettes a day as I am usually to busy smoking my pipes. If I were still a menthol guy, I would not be worried about them banning them. It would be like banning Miller beer and keeping Budweiser. I just don't see iit.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My neighbor across the street, who is black, told me yesterday that the government is taking away his freedom to smoke cigarettes and cigarillos.

He actually thought the action was racist.

Then we both laughed at stupid stereotypes and finished our 40’s.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The ACLU and the cigarette producers have the numbers to back up their contention. Do any of you have the numbers to refute them? I thought not.
I have no numbers but my gut says there are way more white people who smoke them. Do you have any numbers showing that my gut is wrong? Come on Warren I know you can find them. Prove me wrong I dare ya. I always trust my gut. I am an idiot savant when it comes to numbers.

• Haha
Reactions: dcon and telescopes

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Menthol cigarettes have been actively promoted to black communities, and 85% of black smokers smoke menthol. Take that however you will, but those are the facts. White people smoke them, too, but not as high of a percentage of white people smoke them as do in the black community. In a straight count, I’m sure there are more white menthol smokers than black, but as a percentage almost all black people who smoke cigarettes, smoke menthol. That’s not true of white smokers.

I don’t understand how banning them is racist-or, how it promotes equality, or whatever, either. My guess is that this goes nowhere or gets stuck in limbo forever. No way RJ Reynolds or Phillip Morris is going to just accept it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Menthol cigarettes have been actively promoted to black communities, and 85% of black smokers smoke menthol. Take that however you will, but those are the facts. White people smoke them, too, but not as high of a percentage of white people smoke them as do in the black community. In a straight count, I’m sure there are more white menthol smokers than black, but as a percentage almost all black people who smoke cigarettes, smoke menthol. That’s not true of white smokers.

I don’t understand how banning them is racist-or, how it promotes equality, or whatever, either. My guess is that this goes nowhere or gets stuck in limbo forever. No way RJ Reynolds or Phillip Morris is going to just accept it.
Yeah, I doubt it will happen as well. Way too big of a market share for extremely influential (and by that I mean rich) corporations and people.

Status
Not open for further replies.