PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The prohibition of certain substances, otherwise known as the asinine "war on drugs" has decimated inner city black communities. Sounds like a great idea to add one more "prohibited substance" to the list. If anyone thinks menthol cigarettes have been harmful while legal, just wait and see how much harm they do when they're illegal.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
The prohibition of certain substances, otherwise known as the asinine "war on drugs" has decimated inner city black communities. Sounds like a great idea to add one more "prohibited substance" to the list. If anyone thinks menthol cigarettes have been harmful while legal, just wait and see how much harm they do when they're illegal.

Yeah. I just don’t understand the motivation, other than for the FDA to have the appearance of “doing something.” Or, just as likely, to squeeze the big tobacco lobby of more money.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah. I just don’t understand the motivation, other than for the FDA to have the appearance of “doing something.” Or, just as likely, to squeeze the big tobacco lobby of more money.
I'm sure things like that play into it, but ultimately it's just about control. Control for control's sake...control is its own reward to control freaks...they have to satiate their lust...and they don't care how much damage it does to any individual, or community, or to society as a whole.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I'm sure things like that play into it, but ultimately it's just about control. Control for control's sake...control is its own reward to control freaks...they have to satiate their lust...and they don't care how much damage it does to any individual, or community, or to society as a whole.
I see that. However, cigarettes do cause harm and damage and immense cost in healthcare etc, and it can only be expected that at some point there will be regulations put in place, and that those regs will over time become more restrictive. Society at large wants this to happen, too, so how much of it can just be motivated by lust for control?

I get your point, and agree for the most part.

If they were really serious about “protecting our health,” why not just ban tobacco? Oh yeah. Money.

And, to continue the rest of the conversation, we’re not in this mess because of who we vote for, or us not raising our voices enough...we’re in this mess because we happen to enjoy a form of substance that, in some forms, causes a lot of health effects and straight up kills people. We’ll never have a politician who stands up and says, “Yay! Tobacco! Smoke em if you got em!” Because he or she would never win a vote. The only thing we can really do is raise our voices to defend our little niche world for as long as we can.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I see that. However, cigarettes do cause harm and damage and immense cost in healthcare etc, and it can only be expected that at some point there will be regulations put in place, and that those regs will over time become more restrictive.
Sure, heavy cigarette smoking has caused a lot of harm to health and cost, as you say, but that has been mitigated to a great extent over the years simply through awareness. The percentage of cigarette smokers has dropped drastically from what it once was...and at this point tobacco use is dwarfed by obesity and poor nutrition, as well as toxicity from a number of other things, for causes of chronic disease. And the vast majority of cancers have nothing to do with tobacco use.

So continue with their educational crusades for awareness on the health effects of tobacco...sure...why not...I couldn't care less. But banning anything, as well as quasi-banning through absurd levels of taxation, is total horseshit and does more harm than good imo.

LongHairDontCare

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2021
“Land of the free”...as long as you do what they want you to, and abstain from what they decide isn’t in your best interest. My definition of freedom doesn’t include any clause on being being told what I can or can’t do. As long as it isn’t infringing upon the rights of someone else, it’s nobody else’s damn business what I choose to do and how I spend my money.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
“Land of the free”...as long as you do what they want you to, and abstain from what they decide isn’t in your best interest. My definition of freedom doesn’t include any clause on being being told what I can or can’t do. As long as it isn’t infringing upon the rights of someone else, it’s nobody else’s damn business what I choose to do and how I spend my money.
Freedom with their exception.

Freedom no longer frees you.

-Metallica

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The ACLU and the cigarette producers have the numbers to back up their contention. Do any of you have the numbers to refute them? I thought not.
Wait a minute. Does that mean Malt Liquor is racist? And are oversized beer cans sold at liquor stores racist? And MAC Donald’s super sized fries, are they racist? Since when is a preference for a particular item that a group likes racist? Real question. And who decided? The people purchasing the products?

Status
Not open for further replies.