PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’m sorry to hear. Heck, even twenty years ago you could hear a difference. I grew up in Vegas and took for granted that Sinatra was not going to live forever. I regret not seeing him in person. I saw Lou Rawls (met him as well after show. Nice man, kind man) in person and Diana Schurr). Small venues both, in Vegas late 90s. Also, Dr. John at house of blues Chicago around 2000-200. A gal pal and I saw Mose Allison at a tiny venue in Chicago 2004 range, seated no more than 15 feet from him. After he played we went somewhere, then on way back to car, saw him walking outside the venue. Nobody knew who he was, my gal pal and I walked up to him, introduced ourselves, and I told him about how my dad saw him play live way back in the early 60s in Canada while he was in the service (I’m 45). He chuckled, thanked us, shook our hands, and walked off into the night.
Cool story ?

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Aretha Franklin
Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah McLaughlin
*Honorable mention-Lady Gaga- I’m not a huge fan of her music but do have an appreciation for her range & ability. A lot of horsepower in those lungs .

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Despite my personal bias toward some lesser greats, no one comes close to Aretha Franklin or Tina Turner. History has spoken. It is what it is.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
With reference to Tony Bennet; never seen him but I did sit next to his musical director on a flight from London to New York once (the rest of the band were there too - apparently Tony had stayed behind to go to a Paul McCartney concert).

What did we talk about? Grateful Dead, Miles Davis , Frank Zappa, Leonard Cohen and just about everybody in between!

Flight was also memorable becuase when I was waiting at the luggage carousel I got a text message to say that the meeting I'd flown out for was cancelled!

Reactions: STP and gatorhazard

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Doh! FAVORITE female singers! (Facepalm) That’s different…

Annie Lennox
Amy Winehouse
Stevie Nicks
Patti Smith
Linda Ronstadt
Whitney Houston

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I, too, love Maria Callas. But one of the greatest of Carmens is also one of my favorite singers, Conchita Supervia. (1895-1936)
The Spanish Mezzo died young, but produced some of the most exciting recordings ever, in the 1920s and 30s.
She had a vibrato that some didn't like, but she was able to control it and use it to infuse great drama into her music. And, she was quite beautiful.
My list of favorite singers crosses all genres, and is too long to enumerate. But, Supervia is at the top of opera singers.
Here is the "Habenera" from Carmen, and "Carceleras" by Ruperto Chapi.

Reactions: jpberg
Jun 25, 2021
England
Nice one dino.
Especially love the Carmen, everything you say about her is on the button. I shall come back to listen to that again a few times I reckon. Thanks

Reactions: dino