PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
Leaving opera apart (Véronique Gens, Alison Hagley in Gardiner's LNdF was charming, Emma Kirkby...):
-Karen Matheson
-Julie Fowlis
-Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh
-Guadi Galego in her albums Espido and Benzón and with the band Acadacanto

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I, too, love Maria Callas. But one of the greatest of Carmens is also one of my favorite singers, Conchita Supervia. (1895-1936)
The Spanish Mezzo died young, but produced some of the most exciting recordings ever, in the 1920s and 30s.
She had a vibrato that some didn't like, but she was able to control it and use it to infuse great drama into her music. And, she was quite beautiful.
My list of favorite singers crosses all genres, and is too long to enumerate. But, Supervia is at the top of opera singers.
Here is the "Habenera" from Carmen, and "Carceleras" by Ruperto Chapi.

Wow! Lots of amazing tech in the re-mastering... Could absolutely not pick up any of the gating from the noise processer. Amazing job by the engineer...

Reactions: dino

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Wow! Lots of amazing tech in the re-mastering... Could absolutely not pick up any of the gating from the noise processer. Amazing job by the engineer...
That engineer is the incomparable Ward Marston, considered the master of transfer engineers. A fascinating guy with a compelling story. You can read some of it here at Wikipedia:
Ward Marston - Wikipedia

Reactions: jhowell
Jun 25, 2021
England
That engineer is the incomparable Ward Marston, considered the master of transfer engineers. A fascinating guy with a compelling story. You can read some of it here at Wikipedia:
Ward Marston - Wikipedia
I have some of Ward Marston's transfers on Naxos and Pearl discs.
That is really excellent work he does.
It's good that someone like him is helping to preserve and enhance recordings of the historical greats.

Reactions: dino

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I'm cringing but I'm not just going to write Karen carpenter or Mamma Cass Elliot Donna Summer or even Tennille so I'll type
Corinne Drewery
Annabella Llewyn
The Spice Girls(yes some of them are indeed decent singers)
Nina Persson

Reactions: Kal

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
Nora Jones
Diana Krall
Susan Tedeschi
Holly Dunn
Patsy Cline
Linda Ronstadt
Cheryl Crow
Gretchen Wilson
Carrie Underwood
Joan Baez
Joan Jett
Dolly Parton
Gretchen Wilson, there's a good one I didn't expect to see here.
I would throw Lainey Wilson (new country) and Miranda Lambert in there too.

Reactions: tschiraldi and Kal
Jun 25, 2021
England
I'm cringing but I'm not just going to write Karen carpenter or Mamma Cass Elliot Donna Summer or even Tennille so I'll type
Corinne Drewery
Annabella Llewyn
The Spice Girls(yes some of them are indeed decent singers)
Nina Persson
I always thought that Geri Halliwell was a decent singer, and she went through a stage when she was a pretty decent looker as well, shortly after she went solo.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
- Great cover of Eleanor Rigby by the great Aretha. I have a lot of love for her and her contemporaries. Sarah Vaughan, Etta James etc. Nina Simone being a standout.

Otherwise, there are too many to pick from (I'm no good at making lists of favourites)... I really like Ane Brun, Sharon Von Etten, Angel Olsen, Sandy Denny and more.

Nina:

Anne Briggs:
- her voice takes me backwards in time as well as back home.

Here's a sample of Ane Brun's cover of Big in Japan: