PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I've always been impressed by the late Swedish singer Monica Zetterlund. She made an amazing album in 1964 with The Bill Evans Trio, Waltz For Debby. Here is their interpretation of one of my absolute favorite songs, "Some Other Time."

Last edited:
Reactions: Kal
Jun 25, 2021
England
I've always been impressed by the late Swedish singer Monica Zetterlund. She made an amazing album in 1964 with The Bill Evans Trio, Waltz For Debby. Here is their interpretation of one of my absolute favorite songs, "Some Other Time."

Cool, her voice and style reminds me a lot of Peggy Lee.
Not surprising I guess, given the Swedish connection.

Reactions: Kal

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Luciana Zogbi An amazing young woman. Her covers
Melody Gardot. Incredible singer. She learned how to sing after a brain injury took away her speach.
Renee Olstead. Awesome nightclub style
Isadora Morais she should be famous. Here is Amazing Summertime rendition
Allanis Morisette
Janet Jackson
Annie Lennox
Stevie Nicks
Sheena Easton
Enya
Celtic Women
Katherine McPhee when she sings with Chris Botti

I wonder who the first person was that said to Stevie Nicks "Stevie, you have an amazing voice!" She doesn't but she's uses what she has very well.

Reactions: danimalia and Kal
Jun 25, 2021
England
I'd throw Joni in there..............
Here she's so young, but what a sweet voice.
The first 60 seconds is a bit weak, but hold out for it!.......
Lovely. I actually thought the first 60 seconds were totally gripping.
The great thing about Joni Mitchell was how she compelled one to listen to the lyrics.
I think it has to do with a total lack of vanity. She felt the song and made us feel it too.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
My favorite female singers are Natalie Merchant, Florence Welch (from Florence + the Machine), Rachel Platten, Sarah McLachlan, Shawn Colvin, Leigh Nash (from Sixpence None the Richer), Harriet Wheeler (from The Sundays), Taylor Swift (her pandemic-era albums are masterpieces), and a little-known singer named Sinead Lohan.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd second many already mentioned.

I might add Janis Joplin, Leontyne Price, and the young Judy Garland before depression took hold. Maybe Bette Midler and Marlene Deitrich.

Reactions: danimalia and Kal

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Marlene Dietrich had no range at all, like Johnny Cash or Bob Dylan, but could act out and deliver a song with unforgettable verve. Garland just had innate talent beginning in childhood. One of Piaf's mentors reminded her very young, just singing the tune correctly was common, but acting it was the key. Sinatra was a master of that, along with having great pipes.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Marlene Dietrich had no range at all, like Johnny Cash or Bob Dylan, but could act out and deliver a song with unforgettable verve. Garland just had innate talent beginning in childhood. One of Piaf's mentors reminded her very young, just singing the tune correctly was common, but acting it was the key. Sinatra was a master of that, along with having great pipes.
Thinking about Garland and some of my favorites like Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Billie Holiday, etc..... It's not uncommon for artists and creative types (or anyone else, really) to struggle with drugs and mental health, but it seems especially common with some of our best female musicians. With some of them, that personal struggle seems so intertwined with their work... On the one hand, those kinds of issues certainly had devastating consequences on their personal and professional lives, but in other ways, I wonder if they'd have had the same artistic impact if they were sober and in good mental health? It also makes me wonder about how much exploitation those women might have endured and if it has been an especially hard industry for women.

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah
Thinking about Garland and some of my favorites like Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Billie Holiday, etc..... It's not uncommon for artists and creative types (or anyone else, really) to struggle with drugs and mental health, but it seems especially common with some of our best female musicians. With some of them, that personal struggle seems so intertwined with their work... On the one hand, those kinds of issues certainly had devastating consequences on their personal and professional lives, but in other ways, I wonder if they'd have had the same artistic impact if they were sober and in good mental health? It also makes me wonder about how much exploitation those women might have endured and if it has been an especially hard industry for women.
I remember many, many years ago, an interview on the radio with Pat Benatar. The gist of it was that females could identify with males voices expressing emotions and ideas. They could relate to the words and ideas no matter what gender was singing, but (most) men could better identify with a male voice than a female voice expressing ideas. I think I fall into that, because when I hear a woman sing a song that a male usually sings, I get a twist of gender in my head. Bobby McGee, wait, isn't she a she, or is it a he? Whereas my daughters (when I discussed this with them) just accept that a girls voice could be singing to a girl or guy, didn't matter to them.

So, there are fewer female singers... and even fewer famous female visual artists, because the male mind has a hard time identifying with the perspective, but likewise women seem to be able to accept the perspective, no matter what gender it is coming from.

I just know that I can't identify with some female bands and singers, because I just can't relate or identify

It was interesting, and it shows a cultural gender hoop that has to be met that doesn't exist for me.