PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I saw them play together in Chicago, think it was 2000 or 2001 at an outdoor venue. Great concert. I’ve seen her perform three times, never disappoints, but she is a bit quirky, some of her between song comments and musings are odd.
Nice! I regret not seeing Tony Bennett. I had several opportunities, but never did. He was going to perform two shows w/Lady Gaga at NYC, but they were recently cancelled… including the rest of his east coast shows. Sad, but he is 95, so completely understandable… my loss.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Lately I've been really into Gregory and The Hawk. Which isn't a band it's one girl who didn't want to get pigeonholed into the singer song writer label. But there is just something about the whole package.
And too many others to bother mentioning.

Jun 25, 2021
England
It depends on the mood, but certainly Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Stevie Nicks, Chrissie Hynde, Amy Lee, Annie Lennox, Chaka Khan, Debbie Harry Sarah McLachlan, Joni Mitchell, Ann Wilson, Pat Benatar, etc…

Similar thread: Three Favorite Female Singers :: General Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/three-favorite-female-singers.84355/
I have ten Ella Fitzgerald discs. My favourite track is her live version of Mack the Knife. it shows off the raw power of her voice and her sense of humour.
Great entertainer.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I saw Tret Fure at the Armadillo World Headquarters when she was just starting out - just her and a guitar, no "sweetening". I have never forgotten her voice that night. Second was an unknown female that walked onstage with a band I did sound for. She did a slow, blues / soul version of Fever that made love to everyone who liked women in the crowd. I wish I had recordings of both - alas, all I have are fond haunting memories...

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Not even close. Barbara Streisand has the best voice of anyone i have heard in the last 55 years. Patsy Cline has a good voice for a country singer. I am not a fan of Streisand's music per se but when it comes to just voice no one is better. Second place was Whitney Houston.
Seeing as the thread title is "favourite" female singers (note my adherence to the British spelling), I think I'm the best determiner of that for myself. But hey, if you think you know what my favourites are more than I do, please be on call for me next time I want to smoke my pipe. I'll need to know what my favourite tobacco is. :LOL:

Next you'll tell me Trevor Horn is better than Jon Anderson... :poop:

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Nice! I regret not seeing Tony Bennett. I had several opportunities, but never did. He was going to perform two shows w/Lady Gaga at NYC, but they were recently cancelled… including the rest of his east coast shows. Sad, but he is 95, so completely understandable… my loss.
I’m sorry to hear. Heck, even twenty years ago you could hear a difference. I grew up in Vegas and took for granted that Sinatra was not going to live forever. I regret not seeing him in person. I saw Lou Rawls (met him as well after show. Nice man, kind man) in person and Diana Schurr). Small venues both, in Vegas late 90s. Also, Dr. John at house of blues Chicago around 2000-200. A gal pal and I saw Mose Allison at a tiny venue in Chicago 2004 range, seated no more than 15 feet from him. After he played we went somewhere, then on way back to car, saw him walking outside the venue. Nobody knew who he was, my gal pal and I walked up to him, introduced ourselves, and I told him about how my dad saw him play live way back in the early 60s in Canada while he was in the service (I’m 45). He chuckled, thanked us, shook our hands, and walked off into the night.

Reactions: STP