New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 25, 2021
England
Although I'm not a fan of Italian opera and struggle to listen to one all the way through, I have to confess a deep admiration for Maria Callas.
That voice cuts into my soul and tramples all over my emotions, as if I were a helpless cringing dog, fit only to be teased and manipulated by that wondrous instrument.
Even the sound of her taking a breath fills me with rapture. I find myself totally immersed in every nuance of what she does. She is number one in my estimation by a considerable margin.

In other genres I could list -
Patsy Cline
Peggy Lee
Annie Lennox
Maddy Prior of Steeleye Span

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Patsy Cline, and no one else even comes close. Period.

Next question!
Not even close. Barbara Streisand has the best voice of anyone i have heard in the last 55 years. Patsy Cline has a good voice for a country singer. I am not a fan of Streisand's music per se but when it comes to just voice no one is better. Second place was Whitney Houston.

Reactions: danimalia

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
It depends on the mood, but certainly Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Stevie Nicks, Chrissie Hynde, Amy Lee, Annie Lennox, Chaka Khan, Debbie Harry Sarah McLachlan, Joni Mitchell, Ann Wilson, Pat Benatar, etc…

Similar thread: Three Favorite Female Singers :: General Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/three-favorite-female-singers.84355/
Ella Fitzgerald always comes to mind for me, greatest Jazz vocalist ever. Diana Krall is also easy on the ears, and eyes.

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
I like her collaboration w/Tony Bennett on the Love Is Here To Stay LP ?
I saw them play together in Chicago, think it was 2000 or 2001 at an outdoor venue. Great concert. I’ve seen her perform three times, never disappoints, but she is a bit quirky, some of her between song comments and musings are odd.

Reactions: danimalia and STP