PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVision

Lurker
Nov 30, 2019
Has anyone tried the offerings of Avanti? Annoying that you seem to only be able to order large quantities...

I really like them. Their different product lines (Parodi, Avanti, ...) reflect regional differences but are all the same cigar under the hood.

There’s a 20% off coupon for your first order which takes the sting out of buying so many at a clip (there’s a flavored sampler available if that’s the direction that you want to go in) but the shipping is more expensive than other vendors.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I really like them. Their different product lines (Parodi, Avanti, ...) reflect regional differences but are all the same cigar under the hood.

There’s a 20% off coupon for your first order which takes the sting out of buying so many at a clip (there’s a flavored sampler available if that’s the direction that you want to go in) but the shipping is more expensive than other vendors.

Funny you should say as I went back on the site after and found the sampler... will search around for the code. Thanks!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I would be surprised if they aren't available.
You can buy them in Edmonton. One of the cigar stores here was originally started by a fellow from the Philippines. He retired, 15ish years ago and moved back. Julio. Great guy. I'm pretty sure he was the importer, but it might be David Cigar or Brigham, or House of Horvath which would mean you could get them all over the country. Anyway, one of the other local brick and mortars carries them still. That's all I really know. Maybe they simply bought lots and are keeping them in storage.
Rad. I believe Mark Ryan of Daughters & Ryan has some connection with one of the Filipino brands, including one made with Perique! I'd certainly be intetested in trying that.

Interesting. Dominican & Cuban are pretty much the only cigars I smoke. Welp, off to find these online.
If you find any, share the site. I'd be down to try those too!
[Frank Booth voice] I'll smoke anything that burns!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

I found this:

Supposedly reliable, but very little chatter online about the cigars and the shop. I believe they only recently started shipping overseas. The cigars aren't cheap, but at ~$12 each for the Black Tiger, I will probably eventually grab a couple. International shipping has been unreliable lately, so I'm waiting for now.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Rad. I believe Mark Ryan of Daughters & Ryan has some connection with one of the Filipino brands, including one made with Perique! I'd certainly be intetested in trying that.

I contacted the brick and mortar that has Caprichos. House of Horvath imports and distributes them.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Dark Fired Kentucky.
Burley tobacco that's been cured over open fire, if I'm not mistaken.
Ok. Thank you. I know what dark fired Kentucky is. My confusion came from the abbreviation. I've usually seen it as KFC, (Kentucky Fire Cure).

Toscano uses Kentucky fire cured tobacco. It commonly is referred to as burley, because its technically not all that different, but its not actually classified as burley. I was corrected on this very statement recently in another forum. Fire cured is its own class of tobacco.

I've also seen confusion regarding where the tobacco comes from. It's not from Kentucky. The strain is originally from there, but it is grown in Italy.

Reactions: danimalia

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
Arganese il Mezzo - CigarBid - https://www.cigarbid.com/a/arganese-il-mezzo/3681799/. These look interesting. Anybody have any experience with these?
Arganese has been killing the bundled cigar game the past couple of years. Delivering well-constructed and flavorful handmade cigars for bottom dollar prices, they’ve earned a place in your humidor. And now they’re taking their talents in another direction. Arganese Il Mezzo is an Italian-style rustic little cheroot (open on both ends). They don’t look the prettiest, but they deliver some powerful flavors in droves.

Hailing from the Dominican Republic, they use 100% American grown tobaccos for the wrapper, binder, and filler. All dark fire cured leaves grown in Kentucky and Tennessee. Light one up and experience rich and feisty flavors that are heavy on the palate. Packaged in convenient cardboard packs of 5, these are great to carry around on a night out.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
Maybe it's just my bad luck but this is an area where I've gotten a "better smoke" from cheaper brands like Al Capones or Backwoods.

But whenever I buy the minis from premium lines (Cohiba, Rocky Patel, etc) I feel like I'm not getting the same quality leaf as a standard Toro sized cigar from that same line. It's like they aren't rolled as meticulously and the cigar just collapses halfway through.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Has anyone managed to get their hands on the Italian Nostrano cheroot/cigarillos? I hear they are very different from Toscano as they use a very old cigar strain.

Status
Not open for further replies.