PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It'll be interesting, for sure! Verstappen starts around 15th due to penalties for equipment changes, but, man, is his car fast. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the podium. Russell and Hamilton are near the front, but haven't looked good in the practices nor the Qualie.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Verstappen should be interesting.

I wonder if Alpine might finally maintain or gain places for a change? Probably not, but it would be nice

Ferrari on pole. Its all downhill from there....

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
After the Belgian GP Ferrari's Binatto said they were just unlucky, then the Dutch GP happened. I think they are really going downhill quick and not being honest with themselves internally.

On the other hand it's good to see Merc starting to get competitive again, but Hilton's strategist needs to step up his game. Russell is having a great season so far, with a better car earlier in the season, I think Russell would be in Leclerc's place.

I've been rooting for Perez, but he also seems to not handle the RB's current setup as well as Max.

Any thoughts on how next season's grid will shake out?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Personally I’d like to see Hamilton, Alonso, and Vettel retire and see some more new blood in the races.

Of course, I haven’t been happy since Jenson Button left.
I heard Vettel is, but we all know what that actually means: Maybe, maybe not....

I wonder whether Hamilton is actually past his prime as a driver, or slow cars is it.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
It's going to be a Mercedes v Red Bull contest this weekend. Not sure how Ferrari is going to cope with their top end speed especially with DRS having minimal affect at Monza.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I heard Vettel is, but we all know what that actually means: Maybe, maybe not....

I wonder whether Hamilton is actually past his prime as a driver, or slow cars is it.

If Vettel pull an Alonso, he will have decade of F1 racing to do during his 'retirement'.

As for Hamilton, he's my age, so no, he's not passed his prime thank you very much!

Besides which, he still seems to be overall better than Russell (who's no slouch himself). He would most likley have won the Dutch GP if it hadn't been for the safety car silliness, and that would have been with a car worse than the Red Bull, so I'd say the old dog has a few years in him yet.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I just wish the cars were more similar in performance. Then we might have good close racing where the driver is everything.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I just wish the cars were more similar in performance. Then we might have good close racing where the driver is everything.

They seem more similar in performance now than at any time in F1 history, and far more reliable. I think if we are honest, F1has always been about the car. The problem today is that the close racing and over taking that there is, is somewhat artificially created by DRS, ERS and all that stuff. On the otherhand, go and watch some of the 'classic' races of the 80s and 90s and in truth a lot of them are jut processions.

My thing with modern F1 is it is too regulated and too corporate. I miss the days of free wheeling playbosy and entrepreneurs like Flavio Briattore and Eddie Jordan just turning up with a car, or Colin Chapman inventing something completely new.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and trudger

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
They seem more similar in performance now than at any time in F1 history, and far more reliable. I think if we are honest, F1has always been about the car. The problem today is that the close racing and over taking that there is, is somewhat artificially created by DRS, ERS and all that stuff. On the otherhand, go and watch some of the 'classic' races of the 80s and 90s and in truth a lot of them are jut processions.

My thing with modern F1 is it is too regulated and too corporate. I miss the days of free wheeling playbosy and entrepreneurs like Flavio Briattore and Eddie Jordan just turning up with a car, or Colin Chapman inventing something completely new.
1662724906009.png

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
From the Hesketh wiki:

'Lord Hesketh, in partnership with Anthony 'Bubbles' Horsley as driver, entered various Formula Three events around Europe in 1972, aiming simply to have as much fun as possible.'

'Hesketh worked out that the cost involved in competing in the top flight was hardly more expensive than F2, and decided to move the team up to Formula One.'

Those were the days.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Poor Leclerc, at least he was on the podium, but it sure seemed like 2nd might have as well been last. Sainz had an incredible drive today, as well as Hamilton though not quite the same herculean charge that Sainz made in the first dozen laps.

Nyck de Vries had an incredible debut in the Williams. Certainly hope he replaces Latifi next season.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and trudger