PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
The race was a lot of fun. It was nice to see more close action with out the DRS 'cheat'. It's a shame that the modern FIA won't let them race in the rain. In the old days they would have been out there in a monsoon. Everything i a bit too sanitized now.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
The race was a lot of fun. It was nice to see more close action with out the DRS 'cheat'. It's a shame that the modern FIA won't let them race in the rain. In the old days they would have been out there in a monsoon. Everything i a bit too sanitized now.
I agree, really enjoyed the non-DRS racing as well, but the Perez/Leclerc battle near the end was just as exciting.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I agree, really enjoyed the non-DRS racing as well, but the Perez/Leclerc battle near the end was just as exciting.

Yes, it was, until Leclerc went wobbly. It's a shame Ferrari fell off so much mid season. There is not really much at stake now, though it might make the individual races a bit more fun. I'd love to see George Russell take a win.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Happy for Checo but sad for Fernando. I do not like this track at all (Singapore), send it away with Monaco and any other silly street circuits like Vegas. Night racing makes it even worse to watch.

Reactions: Flatfish

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Boring circuit. Fairly boring race.
I'm not sure what the answer is.
We talk of the olden days, but I have watched some races from the 70s and that was just as much of a procession as today.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
We talk of the olden days, but I have watched some races from the 70s and that was just as much of a procession as today.
The procession is what makes for decent Sunday napping but I prefer a rolling countryside to lull me into it.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Happy for Checo but sad for Fernando. I do not like this track at all (Singapore), send it away with Monaco and any other silly street circuits like Vegas. Night racing makes it even worse to watch.

Taking out Monaco is like getting rid of the Indy 500, or the Super Bowl.

This is a point a lot of people forget with F1. We always think it was better in the past, but what we actually remember is the thrilling moments, the great drivers and off the wall personalities. The truth is, it's kind of a dull sport, and the FIA have been trying for decades to create excitement, usually in a counter productive way.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Taking out Monaco is like getting rid of the Indy 500, or the Super Bowl.
Your confusing parts of the Triple Crown of Motorsport with football. Monaco will stay until 2025, but if they are willing to drop Spa for Kyalami…

How about a return to Brands Hatch, Watkins Glen, or Estoril?!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The truth is, it's kind of a dull sport, and the FIA have been trying for decades to create excitement, usually in a counter productive way.
You are absolutely correct. They've taken out as much risk/excitement as possible. They idea that all the teams should be competitive is ridicules. The best teams should be the ones with the best drivers and most innovation when building cars. Equality equals boredom in my opinion. Drivers simply do not count as much as the cars. My interest in F1 waned when drivers ceased to be the most important componant in the competition.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Your confusing parts of the Triple Crown of Motorsport with football. Monaco will stay until 2025, but if they are willing to drop Spa for Kyalami…

How about a return to Brands Hatch, Watkins Glen, or Estoril?!

It's not so much a triple crown thing as the fact that Monaco kind of 'is' Formula 1, or at least is a great part of it's image and romance. Imagine Baseball without Dodger Stadium, English Football without Wembley etc. It's not the 'best' track, but it's about more than just that.

It'd be great to see Kyalami back, don't see why they need to drop Spa though. Plenty of crap tracks in the sport today they can get rid of.

You are absolutely correct. They've taken out as much risk/excitement as possible. They idea that all the teams should be competitive is ridicules. The best teams should be the ones with the best drivers and most innovation when building cars. Equality equals boredom in my opinion. Drivers simply do not count as much as the cars. My interest in F1 waned when drivers ceased to be the most important componant in the competition.

I completely agree. I don't want to see the sport like it was when people would die (literally) every race, but they've swung the pendulum to far the other way. I definitely don't want all cars to be the same - the technical innovations of before were part of the fun. Part of me suspects that if they stopped changing the rules every year to make more 'over taking', things might actually find a rhythm where it becomes fun again.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
The race was ok. Seemed exciting for a while when I thought Verstappen might have to pit with those medium tyres. Alas, they held up, and it was another Red Bull cake walk.

Reactions: npod and jpmcwjr