PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Great final 15 laps. Sainz just didn't have quite enough to get the job done. Mercedes seem to have made a big leap in performance.

Good race?
Agreed. Sainz had all the stars aligned at the end, but _just_ not enough. I'm not so sure it was the packages, I think this one came down to a defending champion that wasn't intimidated, didn't waver, and made no mistakes. Sainz needed a mistake, however slight, to have a shot in my opinion, and would have had to do it in the final lap or so, lest he lose the position back anyway. That battle was drivers. Great race finish.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Agreed. Sainz had all the stars aligned at the end, but _just_ not enough. I'm not so sure it was the packages, I think this one came down to a defending champion that wasn't intimidated, didn't waver, and made no mistakes. Sainz needed a mistake, however slight, to have a shot in my opinion, and would have had to do it in the final lap or so, lest he lose the position back anyway. That battle was drivers. Great race finish.
Yeah, Max drove a flawless race and deserved the win.

Reactions: --dante-- and npod

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Verstappen seemed faultless. I think he is headed for championship number two.
Alonso had a bit of bad luck with the timing of the VSC, otherwise he could have scored a few more points.
Glad the Ferrari's actually finished. Maybe things are back on the up.

Reactions: trudger
Mar 1, 2014
Age didn't seem to effect him last year when he was racing Max, who is 13 years his junior. Age catches up with everyone, though. Schumacher wasn't the same when he made his comeback.
Arguably the 2000-2004 run with Ferrari was Schumacher's comeback, the start of his career was driving head to head with Senna in the early 90's.
Human reaction time peaks at the age of 24 so it makes sense that there is only a short window of opportunity for success.

Maybe the best stat to define an age limit for driver success is "Oldest Polesitter" where only five drivers have ever held pole position after the age of 40, and the last time it happened was Nigel Mansell in 1994 at the age of 41.
Since 1994 the only driver to reach the top 10 oldest polesitters list is Kimi Riakkonen at 38 years old.

So for Schumacher returning at the age of 41 in 2010 his chances of winning races were slim to none, especially after taking a break for four years prior.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
Arguably the 2000-2004 run with Ferrari was Schumacher's comeback, the start of his career was driving head to head with Senna in the early 90's.
Human reaction time peaks at the age of 24 so it makes sense that there is only a short window of opportunity for success.

Maybe the best stat to define an age limit for driver success is "Oldest Polesitter" where only five drivers have ever held pole position after the age of 40, and the last time it happened was Nigel Mansell in 1994 at the age of 41.
Since 1994 the only driver to reach the top 10 oldest polesitters list is Kimi Riakkonen at 38 years old.

So for Schumacher returning at the age of 41 in 2010 his chances of winning races were slim to none, especially after taking a break for four years prior.
Schumacher got a pole with Mercedes at Monaco but he didn't get to keep it because of grid penalties.
Would've loved to have seen what he could've done if he had the race winning Mercs that Nico and Lewis were driving.

Fernando seems to defy time. I think if he was in the other Red Bull seat he'd push Max all the way.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
Is Leclerc penalized for the entire season? Does his use of a fourth power unit mean he has to take a back grid position for all remaining races? He drove a beautiful race in spite of many bad breaks. Great to see Lewis bouncing his way to the podium -- hope his body can withstand the punishment that car is putting out.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Is Leclerc penalized for the entire season? Does his use of a fourth power unit mean he has to take a back grid position for all remaining races? He drove a beautiful race in spite of many bad breaks. Great to see Lewis bouncing his way to the podium -- hope his body can withstand the punishment that car is putting out.
They can use only two Energy Stores (ES) and Control Electronics (CE), they may use up to eight Exhaust Systems (EX).

The most crucial elements have a limit of three, as is the case with the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE), Turbocharger (TC), the motor generator unit-heat (MGU-H) and the motor generator unit-kinetic (MGU-K).

So, a one race penalty, the first over limit part is 10 places but only 5 places after the initial over. That is compounded by 5 places for each additional component replaced at that time.

You can googlie the rules but make sure you search 2022. I’m sure I got some of that right. Haha