Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
Who got screwed? George Russell, that's who. Damn! He bailed out of his (damaged) car to run over to Zhou to render aid if needed. Then his team towed his car away, causing him to be axed from any further action.

But a helluva finish, no?
Awesome finish to a great race?%. Closes things up a bit at the top of the standings, as well. If there hadn't been a red flag on the opening lap I could've seen Max winning quite comfortably.

Only a week to wat 'till Austria?.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
George’s car would not start and he left it so the marshalls loaded it up. Zhou is a lucky kid for sure, Albon still under observation.

Great win for Carlos and points for Mick! Oh, and here comes Fernando!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
George’s car would not start and he left it so the marshalls loaded it up. Zhou is a lucky kid for sure, Albon still under observation.

Great win for Carlos and points for Mick! Oh, and here comes Fernando!

Russell told the Marshalls to leave the car. While it wouldn't start right away, it could have been pushed back to the pit; there was just a puncture.

But the Marshalls simply put the car on a flat bed, and at that point Russell was screwed. Damn shame. I don't understand how the FIA can justify this at all, as it was their action that introduced "mechanical action." Blah.

Reactions: timelord

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Russell told the Marshalls to leave the car. While it wouldn't start right away, it could have been pushed back to the pit; there was just a puncture.

But the Marshalls simply put the car on a flat bed, and at that point Russell was screwed. Damn shame. I don't understand how the FIA can justify this at all, as it was their action that introduced "mechanical action." Blah.

I think the rule itself is slightly bizare - the race was red flagged before a lap had completed, so they reset the grid. Why not just let everyone fix their car up (if they can) and call it a mulligan? I think this was how it was back in the day, they'd even go out in the spare car.

Mar 1, 2014
I think the rule itself is slightly bizare - the race was red flagged before a lap had completed, so they reset the grid. Why not just let everyone fix their car up (if they can) and call it a mulligan? I think this was how it was back in the day, they'd even go out in the spare car.
I would love to see spare cars but it would be a nightmare of paperwork when there are penalties for replacing any major component on the car.
Swapping cars would probably incur penalties for the next five races.