New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
Great qualifying! A drying track always makes it exciting as the times tumble. Good to see Sainz get his first pole?.

I'm biased but I think Silverstone is one of the all time great tracks. There's a small possibility of rain tomorrow which could make it even more interesting. Hopefully we get a great race.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Great qualifying! A drying track always makes it exciting as the times tumble. Good to see Sainz get his first pole?.

I'm biased but I think Silverstone is one of the all time great tracks. There's a small possibility of rain tomorrow which could make it even more interesting. Hopefully we get a great race.
Silverstone is absolutely one of the all time great tracks, IMO. Looking forward to the race, and as a Tifosi, very happy for Carlos!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just checked the TV schedule for tomorrow.....it's being broadcast on Channel 4 which means adverts every 15 minutes or so :rolleyes:

My aversion to adverts means I'll have to skip the race which if I recall is why I stopped watching the Grand Prix several years ago.

Put it back on the BBC & see the punters flood back!

Regards,

Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jay, really, no DVR? For the last ten years or so they have saved my sanity. I reckon I have avoided 684 hours of adverts/ads, and increased my enjoyment 100%. Just set it and forget it!

There's also an app for F-1, but it's about $60 in the States; imagine not free in the UK. I bought it, and love it; lots of features.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Just checked the TV schedule for tomorrow.....it's being broadcast on Channel 4 which means adverts every 15 minutes or so :rolleyes:

My aversion to adverts means I'll have to skip the race which if I recall is why I stopped watching the Grand Prix several years ago.

Regards,

Jay.
Why not watch on Sky? I watch the Sky F1’s race feed commercial free on ESPN!

Reactions: trudger

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jay, really, no DVR? For the last ten years or so they have saved my sanity. I reckon I have avoided 684 hours of adverts/ads, and increased my enjoyment 100%. Just set it and forget it!

There's also an app for F-1, but it's about $60 in the States; imagine not free in the UK. I bought it, and love it; lots of features.
John, yes I can & do record TV but the problem in recording the Grand Prix (or any sport for that matter) is that the results are given out on every subsequent news bulletin....and I always watch the news!

Daveinlax, I'm not prepared to sign up to Sky or some obscure network just to watch FI, just not worth it to me.

Regards,

Jay.

Jun 9, 2018
England

Regards,

Jay.
I don't see the BBC getting the highlights back anytime soon. They're having to make the best part of £300M in savings because the licence fee was frozen. Steve Wright has just been axed from Radio 2 after 24 years and they're saying that was to do with budget cuts.

I get the Sky Sports Formula 1 package but it can be pretty pricey. I believe it's normally about £36 per month but I got an offer of £20 per month for the duration of the F1 season. You still get adverts before and after the race but not during. For me it was a no brainer as I have to watch the races live. For the 9 month season it works out at £198 as I also have to pay an extra £2 per month to get the races in HD. That was an offer as well because they normally charge £5 per month for the HD boost?. You don't just get the F1 though. You also get all their Premier League football games, cricket, golf and a ton of other sports so it makes it more worth it if you're into any of them.

Whether it's worth the best part of £200 for the F1 season obviously depends on your financial position and how much you enjoy F1. I've been watching since I was a kid in the 1980's and I adore Formula 1 so I spring for the streaming package.
Back in the day the races were live, they were free, there were no adverts because it was on the BBC and you had the late great Murray Walker and James Hunt commentating as well as some of the greatest cars and legendary drivers. God I miss those days.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
John, yes I can & do record TV but the problem in recording the Grand Prix (or any sport for that matter) is that the results are given out on every subsequent news bulletin....and I always watch the news!
<< Snipped bits out >>
I understand, and have developed schemes to not get premature results. That means eschewing the news for a bit. Damn ESPN is one of the worst spoiler makers.

Reactions: trudger

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, woe! What a complete fusterclucked start!

When was the last time there was a similar start? I've been watching just a few years, and haven't seen anything close to that bad.

Now I see Zhou talking on his phone. Whew.