PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I friggin love EF2... the juiciest of the fruits, makes Erinmore taste like Erinless!?
Smoke it hot/fast and it turns to spicy mango chutney..
It's weird, but if you go into it expecting something like a German version of an Irish-ish, Lakeland-ish, scented English flake, similar to HU Sissinghurst, you won't be too put off.. I don't want it every day, but it calls to me about once a month.
Once the fruit bomb burned off, around halfway down, the flake became very complex and interesting. I would have compared it to a toned down Stonehaven. I need to finish the tin and see what develops. ;)

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
What's the allure of Estervals? Is it just the HU bends?
It's the HU (for me, foremost)
It's the complete Dan/DTM catalog (not just the few things they selected to import to the USA)
The Germain's Flakes (when they're stocked)
Then there are other names, known mostly to connoisseurs in smaller circles: Meistermischung 88, the Ascanian, Bjarne (De Luxe Flake is superb), Timm's has its fans.
Then there are Mac Baren blends that are available year-round in Europe but are marketed as limited release in the USA. Then there's the tax-free pricing, which makes many tobaccos cheaper than buying them here in the USA (e.g. Salty Plug).

I could smoke exclusively HU tobaccos for the rest of my life. It's otherworldly--a gourmet approach to tobacco blending. My "big three" are currently HU, Germain and Gawith-Hoggarth.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It's the complete Dan/DTM catalog (not just the few things they selected to import to the USA)
Then there are other names, known mostly to connoisseurs in smaller circles: Meistermischung 88, the Ascanian, Bjarne (De Luxe Flake is superb), Timm's has its fans.
Then there are Mac Baren blends that are available year-round in Europe but are marketed as limited release in the USA. Then there's the tax-free pricing, which makes many tobaccos cheaper than buying them here in the USA (e.g. Salty Plug).

I could smoke exclusively HU tobaccos for the rest of my life. It's otherworldly--a gourmet approach to tobacco blending. My "big three" are currently HU, Germain and Gawith-Hoggarth.
I've shied away from ordering the Germain flakes from estervals as they all have pretty low scores on TR. Also it is a great pity that G&H is not available in Germany. Like the callout on Ascanian, No2 is quickly developing into a big favourite of mine.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I try to base my conclusions of a tobacco on tobaccoreviews on the aggregate of opinions rather than a single score, which can be skewed significantly by a handful of extreme reviews. Since Dan and K&K manufacture the HU blends, I've found that the HU is often as good, and generally better than the Dan and K&K in-house portfolio.
I've shied away from ordering the Germain flakes from estervals as they all have pretty low scores on TR. Also it is a great pity that G&H is not available in Germany. Like the callout on Ascanian, No2 is quickly developing into a big favourite of mine.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I’ve had nothing but good experiences with DHL Express when shipping/receiving internationally. I first expected my Altinay pipes to take weeks to get here coming from Turkey. I was excited when he told me that, even to Alaska, he didn’t expect it to take more than a week. I was amazed to see them here in 4 days.

Perhaps now I’ll finally place my first Esterval’s order. Although I may wait another day, or two, after buying over 10lbs of tobacco in the last 48 hours.

Jun 23, 2019
Firstly, I commend the efforts of forum members to actively pursue something like this that benefits a lot of us State-side pipers. Thank you!

Secondly, that was a fairly small shipment. The problem with Estervals is that given the slightly higher shipping charges, people tend towards larger orders. I'd be curious to see where the limit will be and if it will be consistently enforced.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I try to base my conclusions of a tobacco on tobaccoreviews on the aggregate of opinions rather than a single score, which can be skewed significantly by a handful of extreme reviews. Since Dan and K&K manufacture the HU blends, I've found that the HU is often as good, and generally better than the Dan and K&K in-house portfolio.
Sure, I tend to go for stuff that is rated at least 3/4, then look for the reviews of a handful of posters - besides JimInks - who I know like the same blend types as I do, and then also avoid anything on the Mild to Medium strength and/or taste because I know it'll be hot air for me.

Now on HU, Dan and K&K, HU are really special blends indeed, we know in the forum that K&K have altered some of them (chiefly Director's Cut) but it doesn't detract from the fact they are great. Actually from HU's blends that I like, I like them more than the flagship Director's Cut. Kudos go to the blender in my opinion, he specifies the recipe, leaf types, exact ratios, processes etc, what K&K have to do is follow it to a T. I don't know how blenders and manufacturers deal with varying leaf types from year to year, but it's also a testament to the big operations like MacBaren and STG to offer the exact same blend for 50 years.

Despite the flak they get here lately, I see K&K as a far more advanced operation than Dan, in that they own and make several different brands, and as such can regulate the quality upwards or downwards depending on the target audience of the brand. Dan make some blends I really like, but at the same time have a lot of weirdly named and labelled aromatics.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Firstly, I commend the efforts of forum members to actively pursue something like this that benefits a lot of us State-side pipers. Thank you!

Secondly, that was a fairly small shipment. The problem with Estervals is that given the slightly higher shipping charges, people tend towards larger orders. I'd be curious to see where the limit will be and if it will be consistently enforced.
The important part of the shipping modality used wasn't necessarily the weight, rather that the shipment was never handed off to the USPS. It was given to me by a DHL employee. The failed deliveries have always been perpetrated by the USPS.

They having been said, we shall see. I'll place my order shortly as well and hope the solution holds.

;)

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
DHL express never had problem coming from Germany. It's DHL post that was having crap load of issues along with USPS. But isn't there still custom and other hoops to jump through?
Right. And there's always the possibility you could still be on the hook for any potential excise taxes or import duties due; Which according to DHL's own website, they will pay on the importers behalf, however they are not going to just eat that cost.

Just because something happens to slip through without being assessed doesn't mean that it couldn't.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Shhhhhhhhhhhh

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Sure, I tend to go for stuff that is rated at least 3/4, then look for the reviews of a handful of posters - besides JimInks - who I know like the same blend types as I do, and then also avoid anything on the Mild to Medium strength and/or taste because I know it'll be hot air for me.

Now on HU, Dan and K&K, HU are really special blends indeed, we know in the forum that K&K have altered some of them (chiefly Director's Cut) but it doesn't detract from the fact they are great. Actually from HU's blends that I like, I like them more than the flagship Director's Cut. Kudos go to the blender in my opinion, he specifies the recipe, leaf types, exact ratios, processes etc, what K&K have to do is follow it to a T. I don't know how blenders and manufacturers deal with varying leaf types from year to year, but it's also a testament to the big operations like MacBaren and STG to offer the exact same blend for 50 years.

Despite the flak they get here lately, I see K&K as a far more advanced operation than Dan, in that they own and make several different brands, and as such can regulate the quality upwards or downwards depending on the target audience of the brand. Dan make some blends I really like, but at the same time have a lot of weirdly named and labelled aromatics.
Half the HU are made by DTM