PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
That's interesting. It's hard to make too much of anecdotal claims, but if all true, it certainly suggests that some sort of policy has been set with regard to consumer purchases of tobaccos from foreign vendors. This might have more to do with increased restrictions on importing tobacco in line with some of what I was reading on FDA Deeming related timelines.

Oh well, Germany kaput!
Fed Ex has on a few occasions added on an “FDA inspection fee” to the duties, (modest), plus the fees (reports vary from modest to WTF) for using the kind services of their customs brokerage subsidiary, which you never asked for. But that is for pipes.

Novelli in Rome has switched from shipping Pipes by FedEx to using DHL.

I don’t know that FDA scrutiny has anything to do with any increased attention to Pipe tobacco. Nothing has been said in any of the three forums I follow that indicates that has been an issue

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’ve had the older. Fantastic is a bit of a stretch for me but ok. ?
The old Makhuwa was excellent. Needed to be dried to a specific moisture and then it tasted like a rich chocolate milk shake. But if you didn't hit the sweet spot it was a bit drab. The Malawi is either much reduced or has been eliminated altogether.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can't go into any detail but I've been emailing Andreas Harm, Esterval's CEO, back and forth over the weekend and I thought I'd let everyone know that Esterval's is currently working toward a solution.

Hang tight.
I hop that they find a solution, but my guess is that anything they do will result in a much higher shipping charge. First they need to understand the nature of the problem, which has nothing to do with Customs.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I hop that they find a solution, but my guess is that anything they do will result in a much higher shipping charge. First they need to understand the nature of the problem, which has nothing to do with Customs.
Sounds to me they are assuming a lot about or system here. Many people from other countries do not understand that we receive shipments with no tax or duty.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
It's a problem. They are 100% convinced that it is customs. While I'm convinced it's not, my hope is only that his "experiments in shipping" arrive successfully to the USA and the situation is remedied.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's a problem. They are 100% convinced that it is customs. While I'm convinced it's not, my hope is only that his "experiments in shipping" arrive successfully to the USA and the situation is remedied.
That’s par for the course. It’s always the other guy’s fault. Never confuse them with reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.