PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Has anyone in the us ever been charged duty on an international order of anything ?
Once with Al Pascia, twice with DHL, twice with USPS via Registered Italian Post all on pipes . I would say overall this happens about a third of the time. No rhyme or reaso, each and every package had full purchase price on the paperwork, Country of Origin Italy, Smoking Pipe, etc. I think the duty was less than 5%

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't think the problem is Estervals. If that were the case, why have so many other European vendors quit shipping tobacco to the USA? I think the real problem is the root cause problem may be unknown. You can't fix what you don't know. Or perhaps the known fix makes doing business unfeasible.

Once the travel restrictions are lifted, take a cheap flight to Germany and buy twenty pounds. Ship it back 2 lbs per box and ship multiple days and to some friends as well as yourself. Ship via Fed ex.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don't think the problem is Estervals. If that were the case, why have so many other European vendors quit shipping tobacco to the USA? I think the real problem is the root cause problem may be unknown. You can't fix what you don't know. Or perhaps the known fix makes doing business unfeasible.

Once the travel restrictions are lifted, take a cheap flight to Germany and buy twenty pounds. Ship it back 2 lbs per box and ship multiple days and to some friends as well as yourself. Ship via Fed ex.
I really don’t think you understand how insignificant and disregarded FedEx is in Germany. When asked about shipping it’s not even something 95% (maybe even 99.9%) of people there would ever consider. Here’s all the FedEx locations near Berlin, one of the largest and most metropolitan cities in Germany: All ONE of them. And it’s not even in Berlin.
2DF9708E-3D3D-4D54-B2E0-06F77544B71C.jpeg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I really don’t think you understand how insignificant and disregarded FedEx is in Germany. When asked about shipping it’s not even something 95% (maybe even 99.9%) of people there would ever consider. Here’s all the FedEx locations near Berlin, one of the largest and most metropolitan cities in Germany: All ONE of them. And it’s not even in Berlin.
View attachment 80588

It appears the problem is in the USA genius where a few places have heard of FedEx. And perhaps FedEx isn't the answer. I have around 20 lbs of HU blends, I don't really care that much one way or the other. How many Estervals orders, or orders with other German venders have you transacted?

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Never using that one again. I've got a pipe from Turkey that's been in a FedEx clearance delay limbo for two weeks and no one I call can give me a clear answer as to why.
Right now, I suspect there are potential problems with any carrier you use. Especially trying to ship a tobacco related product from overseas to here right now. While a bit more expensive generally, I've found FedEx to be the fastest and most reliable.

The better answer is to totally avoid purchasing from overseas until there is some kind of strong indication the issues have been fixed. There are plenty of pipes and tobacco you can purchase here. If you simply have to purchase that special something from overseas, don't whine and bitch when you encounter problems. It really is that simple.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No whining, the tracking went cold an no one can ever tell me where the pipe is or why it's on hold.

I would be pushing the shipper to get involved. They shipped it and they paid the shipping fee to the carrier. No one can tell me would never be an acceptable answer to me and I'd be working my way up the management chain making life miserable for those pricks until someone determined it would be less painful to dig in and help me vs give me the blow off.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Shipping is a world wide issue right now, it's not just on vices. There are commodity shortages on sugar, citric and protein causing world wide logistical problems because of Covid and the Suez. Now you have India tanking, fuel shortages + throw in a war for good measure. With shortages comes hoarding, making everything worse. It's going to be a bumpy road for a few years.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Shipping is a world wide issue right now, it's not just on vices. There are commodity shortages on sugar, citric and protein causing world wide logistical problems because of Covid and the Suez. Now you have India tanking, fuel shortages + throw in a war for good measure. It's going to be a bumpy road for a few years.
What could go wrong?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It appears the problem is in the USA genius where a few places have heard of FedEx. And perhaps FedEx isn't the answer. I have around 20 lbs of HU blends, I don't really care that much one way or the other. How many Estervals orders, or orders with other German venders have you transacted?
5 maybe? What are you mad about? You were suggesting they use FedEx, and I’m saying it isn’t a viable option in most of Germany.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
What could go wrong?
:)
giphy.gif

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
No whining, the tracking went cold an no one can ever tell me where the pipe is or why it's on hold.
It’s most likely a customs form issue. Call the FedEx help line and keep pushing the issue. There is a level of help desk that can push it through. But you have to get to them.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Oct 7, 2016
Shipping is a world wide issue right now, it's not just on vices. There are commodity shortages on sugar, citric and protein causing world wide logistical problems because of Covid and the Suez. Now you have India tanking, fuel shortages + throw in a war for good measure. With shortages comes hoarding, making everything worse. It's going to be a bumpy road for a few years.

I hope @swilford doesn’t have to don scuba gear to get the next container load of Gawith Hoggarth bound for the states.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Okay, I now understand. Germany apparently doesn't have a reliable, viable international shipping option. Makes sense to me.
Yes. That’s all I meant. DHL is basically it over there. Surprisingly, most Germans are not very well-versed in international shipping. We sent back a box of souvenirs from Stuttgart and it was quite a pain in the ass... and the only option in the area was DHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.