PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As of right now,Were I in America I'd perhaps consider refraining from submitting any online orders sent via standard shipping services from EU, mailing facilities are getting jammed during because of seasonal peak time and due to china flu restrictions,moreover health authorities in many EU countries have just released public service announcement stating more strict lockdown measures are about to come or have already put in force:confused:

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Has anyone try using DHL Express? Or is that option too expensive? I know normal German post using DHL is painfully slow, but DHL Express uses separate system and super fast.
I have two items arriving from Germany, and both are in limbo since early December. Items from other countries that were sent later have already arrived.

Reactions: pantsBoots

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I have two items arriving from Germany, and both are in limbo since early December. Items from other countries that were sent later have already arrived.
Same. I'm waiting for a snuff order from Germany - the vendor told me to be patient as most shipments are traveling overseas via boat at this time.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm waiting on a Tabak aus Kiel order that left Germany on December 4th. It's literally in God's hands now. With the holiday backlog clusterf°©{ and the odd Estervals returns I am in the back seat with this one.
I'm keeping my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed. Hopefully these problems apply only to Estervals.
Has anyone try using DHL Express? Or is that option too expensive? I know normal German post using DHL is painfully slow, but DHL Express uses separate system and super fast.
I think Estervals has that option if requested, but it's like $140 for shipping. That seems like a bit too much to spend for a couple of 50 gram tins of "whatsis".

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My order made it as far as the local post office, then the USPS decided to ship it back to Germany. Estervals sent it out again and it bounced all over the U.S., including both coasts, before ending up in my mailbox. Total time: 4-5 months.
Congratulations! At least Esterval's offered to ship it again, which they did not offer to do for me. Rather, they informed me they would be charging me for German Customs fees until my package was destroyed. Mine was star crossed from the start. Almost two months just to leave Germany, then another two+ months bouncing around the US before being sent back to Germany.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
I also received the custom fee threat from Estervals. I was also told that I should know my country's regulations better before placing an order. Regarding the re-shipping, I was indeed charged for that.
All in all it was quite the ordeal. Fortunately I only smoke a bowl or two a day on average, so it will be a few years 'til next time.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I also received the custom fee threat from Estervals. I was also told that I should know my country's regulations better before placing an order. Regarding the re-shipping, I was indeed charged for that.
All in all it was quite the ordeal. Fortunately I only smoke a bowl or two a day on average, so it will be a few years 'til next time.
"I was also told that I should know my country's regulations better before placing an order."

This is bullshit. They're the ones offering international shipping. It's their job to know how to address and send packaging.

Interesting that they charged you for reshipping. Apparently they used to do that for free. My guess would be that they've had a significant number of packages getting bumped back.

ukbob

Lifer
Dec 3, 2016
Norfolk. England.
Just had two orders cancelled due to due to shipping restrictions to certain countries, now the wait for my credit card to be refunded.
Won’t order now until summer, hopefully things will be back to normal by then.
?

tomatamot

Part of the Furniture Now
May 26, 2020
EU
Just had two orders cancelled due to due to shipping restrictions to certain countries, now the wait for my credit card to be refunded.
Won’t order now until summer, hopefully things will be back to normal by then.
?
The Summer? Do you forget the Brexit?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
"I was also told that I should know my country's regulations better before placing an order."

This is bullshit. They're the ones offering international shipping. It's their job to know how to address and send packaging.

Interesting that they charged you for reshipping. Apparently they used to do that for free. My guess would be that they've had a significant number of packages getting bumped back.

Ditto on the bullshit. If Estervals wishes to enjoy business internationally, they need to be aware of the shipping regulations and limitations for the countries they are going to do business in. I also agree their actions are likely the result of having so many problems they cannot afford to pay for all of them. All the more reason to avoid them until things "normalize" a bit.

Reactions: DonutLuvr

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013

What is the custom fee threat? They tried to collect custom fees from you?

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
My order made it as far as the local post office, then the USPS decided to ship it back to Germany. Estervals sent it out again and it bounced all over the U.S., including both coasts, before ending up in my mailbox. Total time: 4-5 months.

Did you get a reason from USPS on why it was sent back after reaching your local post office? That is what makes no sense to me, why do the packages get sent back from the local post office. The person I heard from, the same thing happened to him, it reached his local post office and was sent back. He tried to contact USPS but after being on hold for 30 minutes he hung up in frustration.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Did you get a reason from USPS on why it was sent back after reaching your local post office?
There is a reason, but you’re unlikely to hear the actual reason.
I have had this happen recently with an Estervals order as well as a domestic order. In both instances the orders were within 1 mile of my house but nevertheless scheduled to be sent back to the senders. Only a close watch on the shipping progress and a quick trip to my local P.O. prevented the packages being returned.
In both cases I was told there was insufficient address to deliver and in both instances once I intercepted the packages and checked the shipping labels the addresses were perfect. Also, in both cases, I pointed out the address was good to the counter person at the local PO and asked what they thought the problem was and... they didn’t know.
One did share that someone, she couldn’t know who or why, had written: NONDEL on the package indicating it was non- deliverable and once someone at the P.O. does this, for whatever reason, all attempts to complete a delivery cease and it ships back to sender ASAP.
My advice is to enable both e-mail and text updates on international USPS shipments and then be prepared to intercede quickly once they hit town, in the case of my Estervals order it was two hours from the long trip back to Deutschland.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I made a specific request, three times, to the proprietor of Tabak aus Kiel that he print the destination address out in large letters and affix it to the box, so that there would be an address in addition to the one that appears on the customs form. No confirmation whatsoever from the proprietor, Thomas Darasz, whether he actually did it. I had to email him to ask for the tracking number too.
There is a reason, but you’re unlikely to hear the actual reason.
I have had this happen recently with an Estervals order as well as a domestic order. In both instances the orders were within 1 mile of my house but nevertheless scheduled to be sent back to the senders. Only a close watch on the shipping progress and a quick trip to my local P.O. prevented the packages being returned.
In both cases I was told there was insufficient address to deliver and in both instances once I intercepted the packages and checked the shipping labels the addresses were perfect. Also, in both cases, I pointed out the address was good to the counter person at the local PO and asked what they thought the problem was and... they didn’t know.
One did share that someone, she couldn’t know who or why, had written: NONDEL on the package indicating it was non- deliverable and once someone at the P.O. does this, for whatever reason, all attempts to complete a delivery cease and it ships back to sender ASAP.
My advice is to enable both e-mail and text updates on international USPS shipments and then be prepared to intercede quickly once they hit town, in the case of my Estervals order it was two hours from the long trip back to Deutschland.
This was my case exactly, though I didn't think to look for the 'NONDEL' on the package. The status on my package updated with 15 minutes to spare before the post office closed, at which time I sprinted down there and saved the package.

My concern now, during this holiday confusion, is that there will be NO status update to warn me. The package could be there now for all I know. Not a damn thing I can do about it either: email whom? talk to whom? I'm the millionth in a million man line.

Reactions: peregrinus

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
I made multiple trips to the post office in an attempt to collect my package, but was unsuccessful. If you ask Estervals why this happens, they will tell you that the address was bad, but this was quite simply untrue in my case. If you ask your local post office clerk why this happens, they will stare at their computer screens for a few minutes and then tell you they don't know the reason. Incompetence? Conspiracy? The decline of western civilization?

tomatamot

Part of the Furniture Now
May 26, 2020
EU
I made multiple trips to the post office in an attempt to collect my package, but was unsuccessful. If you ask Estervals why this happens, they will tell you that the address was bad, but this was quite simply untrue in my case. If you ask your local post office clerk why this happens, they will stare at their computer screens for a few minutes and then tell you they don't know the reason. Incompetence? Conspiracy? The decline of western civilization?
To me, it's not Estervals, but USPS who you can blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.